98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Post #5 has some pics. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...00-blocks.html...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today...

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Those look nothing like my little "cracks"... Is that your point?

----------

Just to clarify...

No point Faded. Just posted for informational purposes. Don't quote me, but I think that is a common place for it to crack if it is going to. I can't tell if yours are cracks or casting irregularities.

Well none of the little fissures that I have noticed are anywhere near a stress point like a bolt or anything so I am getting less and less worried about it. Maybe AJ will see the pics and comment.

You could call Joe at Midwest Cadillac at 847-878-5676. He found several of them, even showed me one. That's where I got the impression that they are usually in the same place, but he would be much better to talk to than me.

I have some dealings with a guy who is a retired GM mechanic... He actually retired young and now works for a famous retired race car driver. Anyway, he's top notch in every way. I was telling him about my engine and the small fissures and he dismissed the notion that it was something to be concerned about. He said a troublesome crack would be unmistakable. he also said the pooling was very common and that he has seen an inch or more of "varnish" in the intake valley in cars with 20k miles. Needless to say, I am feeling much more at ease now than when I first discovered the little cracks.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    I have some dealings with a guy who is a retired GM mechanic... He actually retired young and now works for a famous retired race car driver. Anyway, he's top notch in every way. I was telling him about my engine and the small fissures and he dismissed the notion that it was something to be concerned about. He said a troublesome crack would be unmistakable. he also said the pooling was very common and that he has seen an inch or more of "varnish" in the intake valley in cars with 20k miles. Needless to say, I am feeling much more at ease now than when I first discovered the little cracks.
    I agree, but if you have the engine out and apart anyway, I'd consider sanding/grinding as much of them away as possible. You don't want to give aluminum a starting point for a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
    I agree, but if you have the engine out and apart anyway, I'd consider sanding/grinding as much of them away as possible. You don't want to give aluminum a starting point for a crack.
    Do you mean like with a dremel? Grind away the crack if possible? Interesting.

Well I have the first head off... The left one. There was standing coolant in cylinder #6. Here are some pics.

Right side head gasket was much worse... Eaten all the way through in spots and standing coolant in all 3 cylinders that were down.

And of course everybody loves to see theses pics!

Looking at the pictures of those HG's makes me wonder if the problem might not be shitty HG's. That is a damned shame and should not happen.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

That's a lot of coolant in the cylinders..... I wonder how good of a reputation the Northstars would have had if these kind of problems are found on less cars. Otherwise one heck of an engine...

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Looking at the pictures of those HG's makes me wonder if the problem might not be shitty HG's. That is a damned shame and should not happen.
    I absolutely agree Ranger,.... At least in this case. All but 2 or 3 bolts came out clean and dry. 2 had some block thread attached, but they were all pretty tight. I needed a long pipe to break them loose. I would guess that the head gaskets went first and then the 2 or 3 bolts that were weak were a result of coolant leaking in. But I didn't really see any rust on the gaskets and the metal rings were all there and solid, but the gasket composite was very weak... It reminded me of wet cardboard.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Marc - I agree with this part:

I would guess that the head gaskets went first and then the 2 or 3 bolts that were weak were a result of coolant leaking in.

...but...

I kind of doubt that there was routinely that much coolant in the cylinders when started in AM - I would think it would hydro lock the engine...or snap a connecting rod (Jake has reported that). Also, with coolant leaking into one or more cylinders, we normally see the bad ones "steam cleaned" of carbon. Also, the typical N* HG problem is not coolant in the combustion chamber as much as it is combustion gases in the cooling system. Could the coolant in the cylinders have ended up there due to/during the disassembly?

Looks like you used the same lift point on the body as I did - ran the chain around the bumper struts?

I sent your info to the man that purchased the rear seal installer from me - his name is Steve and he said he will be in touch with you when done with it.

Richard Moore

Thanks Richard, Yes Steve contacted me.

On the coolant in the cylinders, who knows... The car was awful to try to get started cold. It would spit and sputter and would run the battery almost all the way down before finally firing up. How would that much coolant get into the cyliners during disassembly? The thing is there was only a little water in one cylinder on the other side...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.