98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Faded, excellent thread. I have my 99 deville cradle out after it got way hot, so i am hoping just ...
    walliss34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville, 99 STS, both White

Re: 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today...

Faded, excellent thread. I have my 99 deville cradle out after it got way hot, so i am hoping just a head gasket, this thread has helped me allot getting mine apart. So thanks to you and the rest of the contributors. keep up on the updates and pictures, they are awesome! Bill

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Glad it is helping you Bill... So many other threads are a help to me.

Well if mine wasn't leaking oil at the RMS and midcase, I never would have opened up the bottom half and had a chance to see the bad bearings. I wonder if ignorance is bliss to a point. If yours isn't leaking, I would definitely just do the heads, That way you won't have to separate the engine from the transmission or lift it off the cradle.

You should start your own thread. We all enjoy peeking in on each other's projects. And we might learn something from you.

I have ordered new rod bearing cap bolts from Chris at Rippy... I'm so ready to turn the corner and begin reassembly. If I only knew at the time I opened the rod bearing caps what I know now, I would have left them and the crankshaft alone... Only the main bearings were bad... Once again, experience comes right after you needed it.

this project is getting downright expensive. The service manual says you can re-use rod bearings if they are within specs, but after hearing members say they might get out of round... Plus the fact that I think I may have gotten a couple of them mixed up when I pulled the crankshaft, I guess I'll get new ones. As much as I would love to get GM bearings, I just have to find a way to save money. Anybody have any suggestions? There is a full set of main + rod bearings on ebay for $160 According to the listing, they are made by "King". The guy at the machine shop said King bearings are good, anybody have any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-03-Cadill...ht_4517wt_1058

My advice to anybody doing head gaskets is to not get in any deeper than you need to. Once you separate the lower case and go all the way in and replace all bearings, you are signing up for at least $600 more in parts not including the cost of the rear main seal installer tool... Or new rings.

In my case, I did need to reseal the midcase, but hindsight tells me I should have only replaced the main bearings and put it back together.

Not including any tools, this is only a very rough estimate of where I am so far...

Head gasket kit + bolts------------ $260
    Parts/supplies for sealing midcase-- $250
    Heads serviced---------------------$100
    Main & Rod Bearing kit--------------$200 (est.)
    Rod Bearing bolts-------------------$100
    Insert Kit--------------------------$400
    Oil & Filter-------------------------$50
    Timing chain tensioner--------------$40
    -----------------------------------------------
    Total so far for the above parts ----$1,400

Also I discovered I am going to need...

Front motor mount
    Heater core
    Battery cable (maybe both)

And then there are other things that could be replaced as a preventative measure, like oil pump, some hoses, etc. Anybody who takes on this job needs to count the cost first and weigh it against the value of their car. I will be fine, but not by much! I have actually spent even more on a few tools, etc. but I didn't count that.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Make sure to go with an OEM front mount from Rippy. The cheaper after market ones do not seem to hold up from forum member experiences.

Faded, I spent about that much as well on my 2000, but if you plan on keeping for a long while after like I do, it is money well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by ternstes View Post
    Make sure to go with an OEM front mount from Rippy. The cheaper after market ones do not seem to hold up from forum member experiences.

Faded, I spent about that much as well on my 2000, but if you plan on keeping for a long while after like I do, it is money well spent!
    What brand of main and rod bearings did you use? I'd love to use GM parts, but $400 just isn't in my budget after all the other expenses I have incurred.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Clevite bearings from Rock Auto. Just check the crank thrust bearing if you order from them, My first set had the the sides of the thrust bearing separating away from it. Rock Auto is easy with RMAs, though.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by ternstes View Post
    Clevite bearings from Rock Auto. Just check the crank thrust bearing if you order from them, My first set had the the sides of the thrust bearing separating away from it. Rock Auto is easy with RMAs, though.
    I have Clevite in mine.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

I also used clevite

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Marc - saw your list of expenses, so far. Honestly, in most cases, these HG jobs end up needing to be a labor of love - it's hard to justify monetarily. If you love the car and plan to keep driving it, you really can't put a price tag on the sense of pride and grin that will be on your face every time you drive the car. It's a horrible, long, drawn out, expensive repair...and that's what makes it feel so good to have accomplished it. At least, that's how I felt, and still do.

Richard, I completely agree and have used those very words many times in describing this project... "A labor of love".

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Yeah - I forgot to mention someone we used to see a lot of back in the day: his handle was Destroyer, and he had a bad experience N* HG experience. He kept telling us that the typical HG failure occurs at a point in the car's life (>10 years/>100K miles) where the repair cost is close to, or more than, the value of the car, and so the HG failure effectively totals the car...and he was right, to a certain point. What he never was able to accept was the fact that it's not always about dollars and cents. I remember when I was trying to decide what to do - the ETC was an extra car I really didn't even need - a friend told me not to bother, unless I really wanted to keep driving the car and was looking for a project. That did the trick! I did the repair, successfully, and continued to drive the car for another few years until I gave it to my stepson, who still drives it every day.

Yeah, Destroyer still posts in the Community Lounge sometimes. He doesn't have much love for the Northstar I have noticed. LOL.

You are right. You can't look at everything in terms of money. I love Eldorados and there is just nothing else out there like one. I think it's worth saving and making literally better than new where the engine is concerned.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I have half the notion to give Destroyer a studded N*, tell him to drive the piss outta it, and I'll cover maintenance......I reckon his opinion might change

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    I have half the notion to give Destroyer a studded N*, tell him to drive the piss outta it, and I'll cover maintenance......I reckon his opinion might change
    I'll take you up on that if you are giving away free engines!

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Absolutely! I just gotta get my hands on one...give me 5 or 6 years

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.