98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Faded, Pertaining to the heads, I believe the Y and 9 head castings are the same. The only way to ...
    98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today...

Faded,

Pertaining to the heads, I believe the Y and 9 head castings are the same. The only way to confirm for sure is to talk to Chris @ Rippy and ask if the service bare head part number for the Y and 9 motor are identical. Other than the intake cams, I can't see the difference.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as far as I know they are identical besides the cams ... i was recommending not using them based on that since your PCM will not like having the wrong cams

if you want to switch them i don't see a problem with that besides the extra work involved ... also the head gasket kits (there are two) come with just 10 head bolts and the gasket (depending on which head it is)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

There you have it folks heads are the same,

Just the intake cams and labor involved in swapping them. I'd check all cam lobes for irregularities, if all is good......SWAP AWAY!!!

eyewonder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, 170K Miles

If you swap the cams, would/should/can you take the mated lifters from the old head & cam (L37) & move to the newly reconditioned head? Or are there issues that would prevent you from doing that?

Something to consider.

Cheers,
    Steve

Taking the old lifters, if usuable is a good idea since they are a match set. Yet if you have a bad lifter or two, you have two options. Buy new lifters or get used ones.

The 2.3 quad 4 uses almost the same lifters as the northstar (another project I have going). The quad 4 guys know how expensive a set of those lifters can get and round up sets of them from the salvage yard.

As long as the lifters arent scored on any surfaces and the internal plunger is operational, you're good to go.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '03 DHS, 1966 SDV, 1987 &1989 Broughams

I was browsing Rock auto for parts and I am trying to figure something out... A full set of main and rod bearings is about $222. But A remanufactured crankshaft that comes with a full sets of Rod and Main bearings to match lists for $246+$30 core. Just $24 more for a polished crankshaft? Seems like a no-brainer... or am I missing something?
    "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!"--Montgomery Scott

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    I was browsing Rock auto for parts and I am trying to figure something out... A full set of main and rod bearings is about $222. But A remanufactured crankshaft that comes with a full sets of Rod and Maine bearings to match lists for $246+$30 core. Just $24 more for a polished crankshaft? Seems like a no-brainer... or am I missing something?
    FC,
    My understanding is that the northstar crank should NOT be ground for oversized bearings, and I'd be very cautious about getting a "re-manufactured" one. GM did something special to the journals so "re-manufacturing" one requires some pretty specialized processes/equipment.

Maybe Sub or Ranger can add something.....

Oh, and I hear Vermont bearings are much better than "Maine" ones....

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Get the other heads, swap out the cams and matching lifters, or use die grinder and wire wheel on the combustion chambers - they will come out like new. Problems with valves and valve seats and valve seals are almost unheard of - the way I see it, the main advantage of the rebuilt heads is that the backside of the valve heads will be free of any deposits.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS
    Marshall engines, the company that is selling those reman cranks, looks legit. I would be curious as to how they grind this particular crank to protect against later failure. They even have a Northstar engine pic on the front page of their website!

But, if you look at the rock auto detail, their crank kits come with no warranty.

I would love to hear from someone who has bought one. Just seems like an obvious thing to do... Unless of course it is not going to hold up...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post

Oh, and I hear Vermont bearings are much better than "Maine" ones....
    Yeah, I just caught that right before I saw your joke. LOL I am from Maine originally, so it's on my mind I guess.
    "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!"--Montgomery Scott

It was suggested that I email dkozloski about the reconditioned crank. He suggested I stay away from it. I am sure he won't mind me posting his PM to me explaining the reasons, as I couldn't convey them as well as he did. Here it is...

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    The Northstar crankshaft has rolled radii where the journals meet the cheeks of the crank. These must be rerolled if the crank is ground undersize as part of the reconditioning process. Accordinding to Alan Cline, the Northstar engineer who used to frequent the forum, this is something that can only be done by the Cadillac factory and a few other very large facilities. The rolled radii take the place of the radii that you ordinarily find at the junction of the cheeks and journals and prevent cracking under stress. Because a Northstar crank is a bulletproof item, I'd find a good used one before risking breakage with a questionable reconditioned one. Unless Rockauto would guaranty that the radii have been rerolled by somebody who knew what they were doing I wouldn't touch their reconditioned crank with a ten foot pole.

Dave.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Yeah, used was going to be my suggestion
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If the rod and main journals mike to original specs, you can simply polish the journals with crocus cloth strips - just like draping a towel over your shoe toe and pulling back and forth to polish the shoe. Wash the crank and oil passages thoroughly in hot water, brushes and soap, blow dry and wet the whole thing with oil spray. Fit a new set of bearings, using assembly lube.

Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) in Chatsworth, CA carries sets of engine cleaning brushes; or if you're a hunter or shooter, gun cleaning brush kits work, too (but replacement bronze brushes are expensive).

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Faded, I am all for giving you my crank out of my 99. I should have it out this weekend (crosses fingers). I need to find a good way to ship it, though. I wonder about using some expanding foam around it inside the box to protect it from damage...
    Faded Crest and Faded Crest like this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Wrap it in layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers and layers of bubble wrap, and then pack it in a ginormous box using grocery bags as padding.
    Faded Crest and Faded Crest like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.