98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Got the lower case cleaned up... Should I do anything with the heads?...
    Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Re: 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today...

Got the lower case cleaned up...

Should I do anything with the heads?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Mr. OCD here would have to clean them up somehow, but that's just me . Ranger, Sub?

I may have a chance to get a couple of re-conditioned heads. They are from a Y code car though. Is the only difference the cams? It's a sweet deal because it comes with new head gaskets and bolts. If anybody could let me know asap I would appreciate it!

Thanks
    Marc

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

it will work (technically) but i wouldn't recommend it
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

What else would be the difference Chris? Same year engine, btw.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Transaxle I think

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

send them to a machine shop and have the valves checked and new seals installed or do it your self

Still wondering why using the reconditioned ones I found isn't a good idea...

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Hi Faded,

Haven't been on the forums in a bit. Still wrestling with my deville, but all is going well. Following your eldo rebuild since I have to run down that road eventually.

Looking at the picture of your main and rod bearings, REPLACE THEM. You've probably heard this already from some of the other members yet, your bearings look rough. Did you state that motor has 109k on it? If it does, those were the roughest 109k miles on that engine. My main bearings on the 150k sts motor looked brand new, the rods I haven't pulled but once the rod bolts are broken loose you have to replace the bolts. At that point your can't reuse the rod bearings anyway, replacement required.

I highly suggest getting new rod bolts, main cap bolts, and bearings. I'd also suggest a new oil pump, but some might feel that's overkill, but I'm taking the safe than sorry later route.

You're making excellent progress, take your time and double check everything. I wouldn't replace the piston rings unless absolutely necessary.

Get a bucket of that Gunk Carburetor parts cleaner, take the piston/rod asssembly and place the piston inside the bucket with the rod end sticking out. That stuff will dissolve all the carbon and gunk off the piston with very litte scrubbing after it soaks in that stuff.

Keep up the good work.......

----------

Pertaining to the reconditioned heads......

How long ago were they reconditioned? Do you have the receipt to the heads for the work? The heads will work but if you have the 9 motor the intake cams will need to be swapped in.

As long as the heads aren't 00-versions you should be ok with compatible year heads.......

Thanks 98eldo32v,

Yeah, I agree, I am going to replace the main and rod bearings and probably the crankshaft too, since a very generous member is offering me a spare one that he has. The main bearing journals on mine are definitely scored.

Yeah, it's a shame it's so worn for 104k. The cams look perfect, but the mains took some abuse. The rod bearings also looked great, but like you said, once they have been cracked open, gotta replace them with new bolts as well.

The reconditioned heads are being sold by a guy locally who had them done at a machine shop. They are still in wrapped in plastic from the shop. They are also from a '98. It's appealing because he is throwing in the new head gasket kit he bought, including new head bolts and a few other things.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Faded,

If I were you, I'd hold off on the heads right now. Get the parts you need right now to continue forward with the rebuild. If the heads were ment to be, they'll be there when the time comes.

I was lucky and scored a set of Sealed Power main bearing set from Northern Auto Parts from ebay 64.44 shipped to the door. Part # 7319 MA.

Scored GM rod bearings part # 12559363 from ebay 65.00 for a full set of 8?! That was a super deal. The rod bearings tend to be pricey.

Inspect ALL bearing surfaces for nicks or scratches. Don't use any bearing with nicks or scratches on them.

Hang in there buddy.....

----------

Oh I forgot,

See Chris @ Rippy for the main and rod bolts. Good pricing, fast shipping to boot.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Any bearing journal with any nick you can feel needs to be machined or replaced. So your right the crank is toast. If the rod bolts are torque to yield style, check to see if Arp carries them instead. If the cylinders aren't scored and rings look undamaged leave em alone. More likely to damage them taking out and reinstalling if you don't know what you're doing.
    Get a spring compressor and pop the valves out and clean/check them. Get em checked for cracks if you want and reassemble. If u find a problem then replace them.

Thanks but I am still not getting an answer to my question if "Y" and "9" heads are the same other than the intake cam...??? The guy with 2 reconditioned "Y" heads is offering a great deal... Both heads, new head gasket/bolts, and like 3 or 4 boxes of other engine parts that came off that car. Same year, '98.

eyewonder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, 170K Miles

I am not experienced working on N* either, but your point is well taken. If the ONLY difference is one cam, then except for the cam, they are the same. Kind of redundant, huh?

An issue to consider is whether new lifters(?) need to be installed, so as to mate them to new cam lobes. The total cost of that MIGHT be more than getting your own heads reconditioned.

I just picked up my 2000 heads (roller model) from my machine shop last week. They put in all new exhaust guides, and 1 new exhaust valve. My google search of exchange cyl heads, before shipping costs, was more than my machine shop charge for doing my heads.

Just more stuff to consider.

I hope to be adding to my 'Saga' thread this week, with photos, etc.

Cheers,
    Steve

The reconditioned heads have all brand new valves. I am justl not seeing any disadvantage to getting the re-conditioned heads and swapping the intake cams. I could probably even wind up making money on the whole deal by selling my unused cams on ebay.

Did I mention that these re-con heads are CHEAP??? Very cheap, like less than the cost of having mine serviced! Just don't want to absolutely throw away my money if I can't use them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.