98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by JoeTahoe I dont want to bring up any more work or $$$$ but why not rering it ...
    Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Re: 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTahoe View Post
    I dont want to bring up any more work or $$$$ but why not rering it while your in it this deep. If you do rering only use gm rings, I have seen horror stories on here about non gm rings. Did you pull all the rod caps yet?? On mine I used Clevite Bearings from Rock Auto.
    No I haven't pulled any more rod bearings apart. But I did pull that one piston out. The rings actually looked excellent. They were extremely clean and free. I can take a picture later. How much do new GM rings cost? If they aren't that bad, like you said... "While I'm in this deep already... "

By the way, did I mention that I have no idea what I'm doing?

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    No I haven't pulled any more rod bearings apart. But I did pull that one piston out. The rings actually looked excellent. They were extremely clean and free. I can take a picture later. How much do new GM rings cost? If they aren't that bad, like you said... While I'm in this deep already...

By the way, did I mention that I have no idea what I'm doing?
    your a little deep now, also good time to change the T.C.C solinoid in the trans and service it also. Talk to Rippy on rod bolts and rings

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Marc - I assume the rear main seal you removed was the original lip style - it slides onto the crankshaft output flange, and then is a light interference/press fit in the block cavity - something similar to the front seal. The new style seal is a 2 piece design - 1 part presses into the block cavity - the other presses onto the crankshaft flange. I think I read that something like 100 pounds of force are needed to press it into place, and if you don't use the proper tool, or at least something that achieves the same results, you will ruin the seal and have a massive leak.

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    Marc - I assume the rear main seal you removed was the original lip style - it slides onto the crankshaft output flange, and then is a light interference/press fit in the block cavity - something similar to the front seal. The new style seal is a 2 piece design - 1 part presses into the block cavity - the other presses onto the crankshaft flange. I think I read that something like 100 pounds of force are needed to press it into place, and if you don't use the proper tool, or at least something that achieves the same results, you will ruin the seal and have a massive leak.
    I actually got the new seal from Chris at Rippy. It is the one-piece, which is what I removed. The old one came out very easily, which is why I was wondering if it could be put in by hand with the lower case removed, then sandwiched tight when it is reinstalled.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

The one I sold you is the new style ... the technical service bulletin calls it a 'cartridge style'
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

What you have might look like it's 1 piece...but it's not. The cartridge style means there are 2 parts - the outer stationary part that is pressed into the block, and the inner part that is pressed onto the crankshaft flange - the 2 halves interlock in a manner which prevents oil leakage - sort of like curling your fingers on both hands and then locking your 2 hands together like you want to pull them apart...does that make sense?

Oh, okay. I haven't even taken it out of the plastic bag yet. When you said two part, I assumed you meant two separate pieces.

Marc - if you take it out of the bag and put your left hand's 4 fingers inside the seal and spread them to prevent inner "race" from turning, you will be able to use your right hand to turn the outer 1/2...you'll see

eyewonder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, 170K Miles

I dont want to bring up any more work or $$$$ but why not rering it while your in it this deep. If you do rering only use gm rings, I have seen horror stories on here about non gm rings. Did you pull all the rod caps yet?? On mine I used Clevite Bearings from Rock Auto.
    GM rings only?

I just got some 'Sealed Power' rings from RockAuto because they were about $150 for the set. I had looked at GMPartsGiant, and they had rings that were about $300 a set. OUCH!

So, has anyone have personal experience using the 'Sealed Power' brand? Either for or against?

The ring set I have has not been opened, so I could likely return it, if needed.

Cheers,
    Steve

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

it was on here a year or so ago smoking issues. Sub or ranger hopfully will chime in. I whent off the experiance off the forum members and jakes experiance

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

GM rings - special set - tapered lower compression ring/scraper, 3-piece oil control ring. Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>

"Don't know what you're doing ???" One hell of an engine to learn on. Are you using - you NEED - all the procedures in the GM/helm service manual as well as the crankcase halves reseal procedures in a later TSB. The orientation of all the ring gaps is critical to oil control during the new breakin stages. It's all in the book - the GM book, not Chilton or Haynes. For instant gratification, give the car a multi-year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com - all the necessary TSB's (as well as the entire GM manual set) are there.

Yes, I have the 3 volume FSM... I wouldn't go near the engine without it. And yes, I have been paying close attention to the half case reseal TSB posted by AJ.

I pulled one piston and the rings were nice and free with no obvious wear. Unless there is a reason to believe they would be bad at 104k mi, I would rather skip the re-ring. I have bitten off quite a chunk already. By the time it's done, I will likely have as much in this repair as the car is worth, so I need to be careful. Great learning experience though!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

it was on here a year or so ago smoking issues. Sub or ranger hopfully will chime in. I whent off the experiance off the forum members and jakes experiance
    I don't recall that, sorry.

What is the best way to clean old gasket material off? Some kind of spray cleaner? Engine de-greaser? There seems to be pieces of the outer hard perimeter of the gasket sticking to the lip on the block itself. Also, since the half case is removed, can I safely spray it clean if I dry it off quickly?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Plastic scraper and some PB blast i think

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.