98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; With the way the previous owner "fixed" this car, the worn bearings don't surprise me. He probably ran it hot ...
    Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Re: 98 ETC Head Gasket project started today...

With the way the previous owner "fixed" this car, the worn bearings don't surprise me. He probably ran it hot and never changed the oil... Or just never changed the oil at all.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

That Eldo was begging you to doctor her back to 100%
    maeng9981 and maeng9981 like this.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

You need the instalation tool for the rear main. The main bearings are shot what did the rods look like??

Thanks Joe. I have not looked at the rod bearings yet, perhaps tonight. I just couldn't take any more bad news after seeing those mains last night I picked up some plastigage, so we will see how bad it is.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Might as well rebuild her. I can find out about the cost for a crank for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Might as well rebuild her. I can find out about the cost for a crank for you.
    Ugh! All I wanted was new head gaskets... LOL

Here is the #8 lower Rod bearing... I only pulled that one... Just in case you guys thought I could get away with it...???

The plastigage showed it to be in the "good" range... .0015 inch... They look scored, but are very smooth, unlike the mains...

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    Ugh! All I wanted was new head gaskets... LOL

Here is the #8 lower Rod bearing... I only pulled that one... Just in case you guys thought I could get away it...???

The plastigage showed it to be in the "good" range... .0015 inch... They look scored, but are very smooth, unlike the mains...

My understanding is that the rod bearings have a tendency to lose there shape on the bottom end when you re-assemble. Be sure to check them (for roundness).

The main bearing journals are a bit scored, but the one rod bearing journal I exposed looked very good. Vincent, why did you put that in my head?

What should I do? Can I polish the main journals and be okay? If I run my fingernail across it I can definitely feel where it is dug.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
    My understanding is that the rod bearings have a tendency to lose there shape on the bottom end when you re-assemble. Be sure to check them (for roundness).
    Are you saying if the plasti-gage looks okay I should be able to re-use them? How do I check for roundness?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If I had pulled a main and rod bearing out of that engine and seen the same wear/dirt patten, gotten the same results with Plastigage, there would be no hesitation to polish all the journals with crocus cloth and install a new set of stock sized main and rod bearing shells.
    JoeTahoe and JoeTahoe like this.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

I would not reuse rod bearings if you unbolted the cap. The crush factor on those bearings is too great, and it WILL fail if you reuse it. You will need new rod bolts as well. Try polishing the scored journal as Sub suggested, but I think you may need a new crankshaft if the score is deep enough to catch your fingernail.

I have a 99 STS with a cracked block that I am replacing with a different engine. If the crank out of my bad engine is still in good shape, you are welcome to it if you decide to go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by ternstes View Post
    I would not reuse rod bearings if you unbolted the cap. The crush factor on those bearings is too great, and it WILL fail if you reuse it. You will need new rod bolts as well. Try polishing the scored journal as Sub suggested, but I think you may need a new crankshaft if the score is deep enough to catch your fingernail.

I have a 99 STS with a cracked block that I am replacing with a different engine. If the crank out of my bad engine is still in good shape, you are welcome to it if you decide to go down that road.
    That's a very kind offer. Is your old engine out already? I am over "budget" on this whole project already, so that would be a huge help if I need to get a crank.

I agree, after sleeping on it, it would be silly to try to reuse the rod bearings now that I have opened one. I actually expected them to be in the same shape as the mains, so I was surprised the one I checked was smooth and tight. I will polish the main journals and plastigage the mains as Sub said. Are the rod bearing bolts dealer-only? I didn't see a listing for them on the Rockauto website.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Rod bolts are dealer only. Try Rippy or gmpartsgiant.com or gmpartsdirect.com

The engine is 'halfway' out. The previous owner had headgasket problems and tried to fix it. When he got the heads off, he noticed a crack in the block in between the cylinders. I acquired it at that point since he couldn't spend the money on a new engine.

I should have it out soon.
    Faded Crest and Faded Crest like this.

Glenn Delwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille Concours
    Hey Crest,
    I read on one of your posts that you go through quite a few cars (buying and selling them often). If this is what comes out of your hands and you do this kind of thorough work, it would be a blessing to get one's hands on a car that has been through your hands. Just sayin'.

Thanks Glenn. I always did pride myself in dealing in top quality cars.

But if I had to do this kind of work to all the cars I bought and sold I'd have been in the poorhouse long ago. I did more buying and selling in the past than now. This job is strictly a labor of love. A love for the car and a love for learning/gaining experience.
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

I dont want to bring up any more work or $$$$ but why not rering it while your in it this deep. If you do rering only use gm rings, I have seen horror stories on here about non gm rings. Did you pull all the rod caps yet?? On mine I used Clevite Bearings from Rock Auto.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.