How do I get the Temp reading?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How do I get the Temp reading? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ive noticed that most of you guys can get your temp reading digitally. How is this done? Is it through ...
    STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

How do I get the Temp reading?

Ive noticed that most of you guys can get your temp reading digitally. How is this done? Is it through the DIC?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sean McDonald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: How do I get the Temp reading?

On my 94 I simply press the "Information" button to the left of the speedo.

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by STS 310
    Ive noticed that most of you guys can get your temp reading digitally. How is this done? Is it through the DIC?
    Go to the link and download your Owners Manual. The files are large but good quality.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=22994

Coundnt find anything in the manual on how to get a temp reading digitaly. Must be relegated to the earlier models.

96 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS, 2002 Seville SLS

Don't give up STS 310. You CAN get the temp reading on the DIC. I've switched it on on mine. You just have to change a value in the IPC overrides. It's very easy to do.

Do you have a Shop Manual? If so, the manual explains how to make the change. If not, I'll look it up tonight & post how you can do it. I'm at work right now & can't remember exactly which override it is & what the new number should be.

Later,
    96 STS

nitrous1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I got these instructions off of another board and I used them on my 96 STS to add the Temp display to the DIC. Read them thoroughly before beginning because you can damage your IPC module if it is done incorrectly. Good Luck!

nitrous1

These instructions are for 1997 E/K series Cadillacs (Eldorado and Seville). The Deville already has the DIC display if I recall correctly. This is not available on later model years...not sure when the "cutoff" date is...

1) Press the OFF and PASS WARMER (referred to from here as WARMER) buttons simultaneously to enter diagnostic mode.

2) Let the system read any codes it has stored. You will ultimately be presented with "PCM?". You will answer with the fan speed control button. UP = yes and DOWN = no.

3) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC?". On mine, it's the very next prompt. When you get to the "IPC?" prompt, press UP to enter the IPC area (Instrument Panel Cluster).

4) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC OVERRIDE?". Press UP to enter the override area.

5) Scroll down (with the DOWN button) until you get to Option E. Wait a second or two, and the override value will appear to the right where the TRIP ODOMETER normally reads. Yours will probably read "43". That's what mine read when I first did this.

Below are the Option E values:

- Coolant Temp message (64)
    - Battery Volts message (32)
    - Engine RPM message (16)
    - Avg Mph message (8)
    - Mph message (4)
    - Fuel Used message (2)
    - Inst Mpg message (1)

The stock displays (for analog E/K displays) are Battery Volts, Avg Mph, Fuel Used, and Inst Mpg, for a total value of "43".

6) Use the WARMER button to increment the value of the override. In this case, we want to add Coolant Temp, so we're going to add "64" to "43", or "107". Press the WARMER button repeatedly to increment the value from "43" to "107".

If you make a mistake, you can decrement the value by pressing the COOLER button.

7) To permanently save the new value, hold the FRONT DEFROST and the A/C buttons simultaneously until the new override value flashes once.

8) You're done. Press OFF repeatedly to "back out" of the diagnostic system. You'll probably need to press OFF 5 or 6 times to get out of the deep "menu structure" you're in now.

Now, the coolant temp (in units specified) should be one "stop" along the revolving door we call the DIC. smile.gif If you are in metric units, the coolant temp will read in *C. If you are in standard units, it'll read in *F.

Good luck!

BTW: the book warns against incorrectly storing an override value to the system. It said you can permanently damage the IPC by doing this. I don't know how, and have never heard of anyone doing damage to their car, but the book says the danger exists. It says if you ever make a mistake, repeatedly press OFF to completely exit the diagnostic system and start over again.

Yeah, what nitrous1 said!! The warning that he mentioned in his "BTW:" at the end reads exactly like this in the Service Manual:

"NOTICE: An IP1557 DTC will be set if the flowing procedure is not followed. An IP1557 is not recoverable and the IPC will have to be replaced. If, while performing the following procedure, the "OFF" button is pressed and the IPC displays "IPC CLEAR CODES" Exit on board diagnostics and start over. This will reset the options back to their original settings and prevent IP1557 from setting"

Bacically, this means that if "IPC CLEAR CODES" shows up on the DIC then DO NOT press the Fan Up button (Yes). Just turn the ignition off & that should kill on board diagnostics. Or, keep pressing "OFF" to back out of the system.

Good luck!

96 STS

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

I used it on my '97 STS -- worked like a champ. Thank you! I love being able to see the digital speed display as well... I'm loving this car more as time goes on..

Ells

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Anyone have the overrides for a 95 SLS? I'd love to have the digital RPM's in my scroll.

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

*Is* there an override for RPM's? I don't recall seeing that one....

Ells

There IS a value for engine RPM, but several of us have tried it but got no results. Don't really know what's up with that. Been waiting for someone with the facts to explain why this won't show.

Seems like the Service Manual mentioned digital vs. analog clusters, so maybe it will only show on digital clusters. The manual wasn't very clear about this.

Do you have a digital cluster? If so, maybe you could test it on yours & tell if it works.

96 STS

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Naw, I got the analog cluster. I'd just like to have the ability to cross check the digi tach w/ the cluster one while i'm on the move instead of having to go through the whole diagostics everytime.

Thanks guys. I will print this out and try. Hopefully, I wont mess it up. Just follow the DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. LOL.

Nitruos, I managed to get the Temp reading. Worked as advertised. Thanks Nitrous and 96.

In regards to the the RPM readout, possibly the DIC will store only a certain value "amount" or a certain number of "stops".

Anyway, thanks again fellas.

STS 310

nitrous1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by STS 310
    Nitruos, I managed to get the Temp reading. Worked as advertised. Thanks Nitrous and 96.

In regards to the the RPM readout, possibly the DIC will store only a certain value "amount" or a certain number of "stops".

Anyway, thanks again fellas.

STS 310
    I'm trying to get the RPM display to work on my STS right now. I was going thru the IPC options with my TECH 2 and saw the option to add MPH and RPM. I was able to get the MPH to work, but not the RPM - but I'm not giving up. I'll try again some time in near future.

Congrats on getting the TEMP display working.

nitrous1

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.