How do I get the Temp reading? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How do I get the Temp reading? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey nitrous1, if you do get the RPM to work PLEASE see if there is any setting that can be ...
    96 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS, 2002 Seville SLS

Re: How do I get the Temp reading?

Hey nitrous1, if you do get the RPM to work PLEASE see if there is any setting that can be done w/o the TECH2. I tried by adding the correct value to the override option, but nothing comes up for RPM.

Let us know how it goes. You'll be praised by many if you get it to work Me included.

96 STS

95Concours is offline Expired eMail Address

I have the same problem, I have a 95 Deville with the digital cluster, everywhere I've read say's I should have the Engine Temp and Rpm's in the info button/reading... But I dont, I have ave. mpg, trip, oil life etc. If these should be on there and the previous owner(s) somehow removed them would disconnecting the battery reset them? Anyone else have a deville ODB1 with my same problem?

AdibT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same situation in my Councour 1994!

Can I show the temp and the RPM on my digital dashboard?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Adib

outlaw1369 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado 1996 Sedan Deville

Just wondering on a 1996 Deville can I override the computer to have the cooling fans turn on 5-10 deg earlier?

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

I don't think so unless you reverse engineered and re-programed the PCM.

But why do you want to do this? There are hundreds of thousands of Northstar engines running just fine the way they are.

If you think something is wrong then you probably have some sort of mechanical or electrical problem which if fixed will make the car work right again.

Or do you have another reason for trying this?

Peteski

outlaw1369 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado 1996 Sedan Deville

I have found that once the temp reaches 245-250 or so in my N*, the cooling system cannot right itself and the car will overheat. This does not happen often but after a few WOT on the highway with speeds reaching 95-100mph I have to keep a eye on the temp or I will exceed my point of no return and the car will have to limp home or pull over to cool off. I am sure I have a internal coolant leak as I have to add 1/2 gallon of antifreeze a week in the car. I use the bars leaks and am saving my pennies for the timesert job. If I could have my cooling fans come on a few degrees earlier it may help to keep the temps in a lower range. The radiator in my vehicle appears to be in good condition and I have replaced the water pump and lubed the pulley pivot point. I can putt around in this car all day long with no problems but I like to feel the performance these motors have from time to time.

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw1369
    I have found that once the temp reaches 245-250 or so in my N*, the cooling system cannot right itself and the car will overheat. This does not happen often but after a few WOT on the highway with speeds reaching 95-100mph I have to keep a eye on the temp or I will exceed my point of no return and the car will have to limp home or pull over to cool off. I am sure I have a internal coolant leak as I have to add 1/2 gallon of antifreeze a week in the car. I use the bars leaks and am saving my pennies for the timesert job. If I could have my cooling fans come on a few degrees earlier it may help to keep the temps in a lower range. The radiator in my vehicle appears to be in good condition and I have replaced the water pump and lubed the pulley pivot point. I can putt around in this car all day long with no problems but I like to feel the performance these motors have from time to time.
    It's doubtful having the fans come on any sooner will help anything. As you describe your speed when this is happening, there is already plenty of airflow and the fans aren't contributing anything. If the water pump is good, the problem is more likely a radiator issue or internal waterflow within the engine.

AdibT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi everybody,

I didn't receive anything about the above problem with my Councours 1994!

Can I show the temp and the RPM on my digital cluster?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Adib

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.