96 Sedan De Ville V8 Northstar Over Heating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By vincentm
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 96 Sedan De Ville V8 Northstar Over Heating in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I Have A 96 Sedan De Ville With A V8 4.6L Northstar Engine And I Bought It From A Friend ...
    VValdez82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville, 1996 Sedan De Ville, 1997 Sedan De Vill

96 Sedan De Ville V8 Northstar Over Heating

I Have A 96 Sedan De Ville With A V8 4.6L Northstar Engine And I Bought It From A Friend Knowing The Head Gaskets Needed To Be Replaced, I Just Recently Had The Head Gaskets Replaced & Found Out It Was STILL Over Heating So The Mechanic Replaced The thermostat & The Water Pump And Then Tried Again But It Was Still Over Heating. The Mechanic Flushed The Radiator And The Engine Block A Few Times And Then Serviced All The Coolant Lines. He Says Its Ok Now And That Its Not Over Heating At The Moment But He Said I Should Get Rid Of The Car Because He Said No Mechanics Here In New Mexico Like Working On The Northstar Engines And that The Problem With The Over Heating Is Just Gonna Stay Happening Again & Again If I Decide To Keep The Car. I Really Like The Car And Have Always Wanted A Cadillac But I Dont Know If Everything He Says Is Correct. I Dont Want To Keep Putting Thousands Of Dollars Into The Car If Its Just Gonna Keep having The Same Problem. So i thought I Would Ask Here On What To Do ? Are The Northstar Engines Really That Bad ? Or Will I Be Ok Keeping The Car ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    1. Get a new mechanic

2. What was the fix for the HG, studs or timeserts?

3. Get a new mechanic

4. Get a new mechanic

5. Check if the purge line is clogged

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 96 Sedan De Ville V8 Northstar Over Heating

Did he insert all 20 bolt holes before he replaced the HG? If not, he doesn't know what he is doing, did the job wrong because they failed again and he owes you a refund.

To tell you the truth im not sure what techniques he did or anyhing. Im just going off what he says. I know he used studs and said he helicoiled or something like that the bolt holes and had a master cadillac mechanic help him but they said its a design flaw being that the engine is aluminum on aluminum its gonna have that over heating problem and that most the time they tell the owners to trash the northstar and get something else. Its very hard to find an honest and reliable mechanic here in new mexico so i dont know. I still havent drove it i just took his word and put a for sale sign on it cause i have to many cars to deal with but that was one ofthe dars i really wanted.

maeng9981 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Helicoil is an unacceptable method of Northstar bolt hole repair. It won't hold. Properly repaired Northstar doesn't overheat after the repair. The work has been butchered, you need a new mechanic that knows Northstars, and request a refund since the "repair" didn't repair anything.

Failed helicoil repair picture borrowed from Google/CF

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    ...and request a refund since the "repair" didn't repair anything.
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by VValdez82 View Post
    To tell you the truth im not sure what techniques he did or anyhing. Im just going off what he says. I know he used studs and said he helicoiled or something like that the bolt holes and had a master cadillac mechanic help him but they said its a design flaw being that the engine is aluminum on aluminum its gonna have that over heating problem and that most the time they tell the owners to trash the northstar and get something else. Its very hard to find an honest and reliable mechanic here in new mexico so i dont know. I still havent drove it i just took his word and put a for sale sign on it cause i have to many cars to deal with but that was one ofthe dars i really wanted.
    Sometimes the term "helicoil" is used generically. You need to find out EXACTLY what he did.

Ok so the car is worth keeping ? Im just probably gonna have to get the head gaskets replaced again then ? Because i sure as hell aint gonna get a refund i know that for sure

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Ok so the car is worth keeping ? Im just probably gonna have to get the head gaskets replaced again then ? Because i sure as hell aint gonna get a refund i know that for sure
    Why not? Id call them up to report hg failure

Ok so the car is worth keeping ?
    That's a decision only you can make.

----------

Im just probably gonna have to get the head gaskets replaced again then ?
    It sounds like that may be a possibility based on what you told us, but we can't be sure based on what you told us either. You need to find out exactly what that "mechanic: did and how he did it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.