What causes a headgasket failure?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, What causes a headgasket failure? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just curious as to how the headgasket fails on all the Northstars. So far, my 97 ETC with 127,047 miles ...
    97EldETC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado ETC

What causes a headgasket failure?

Just curious as to how the headgasket fails on all the Northstars. So far, my 97 ETC with 127,047 miles has run fine since last December 2011 when I purchased her (with a few electrical problems). I'm going to. Change te oil in December (unless I go on a summer road trip of course) and all my fluids are fine. A little shudder happened yesterday in drive, but shifted immediately back to park and back to drive and the shudder tapered off. Other than that. She's fine. Sorry...back to my original question. What causes headgasket failure on the 97-99 northstars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: What causes a headgasket failure?

Go up to the stickys at the top of this forum and wade through the headgasket threads. There are several schools of thought - head bolt(s) lose clamping force due to: block thread corrosion from poor casting methods, block thread corrosion caused by coolant intrusion, block thread failure due to fine threads in aluminum; all sorts of scenarios, and none radically different than what has caused head gasket failure in many, many other engines over the years. NO automotive engine is exempt from head gasket failure, regardless of manufacturer, and you can verify that by lurking in any other automotive forum on the internet.

One possibly preventive ritual is to change the coolant (DEX-COOL or green) religiously every 3 years.

I was replacing head gaskets on Jaguars, Austin-Healeys, Datsuns and MG's in the late 50's - head gasket failure is not all that uncommon.

97EldETC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado ETC
    I just pray mine won't die on me. It's my first car, so I plan on babying it. Except when I'm on the highway .

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Drive it like you stole it. The Northstar engine likes to run. My car is 10 years old and just did a run to 126 yesterday: not a problem.

N*caddy has a '97 STS and did a non-stop circuit of the U.S - almost 11,000 miles - last year with no trouble.
    maeng9981 and maeng9981 like this.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Yes - all of what Sub said - based on my experiences and observations, I favor block thread corrosion caused by coolant intrusion as the most common and most likely explanation. When I did mine, I found totally failed (head bolts didn't catch at all) wet block threads, wet failing block threads, wet, but still good threads (bolts "snapped" when loosened, and threads that were dry and perfectly fine. I think these showed the natural progression, from good to bad, that takes place. I think the reason the threads basically dissolve away is the combination of coolant, steel bolts, an aluminum black, lots of heat and also corrosive combustion gases

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

1. Block thread failure due to reasons stated above
    2. Gasket failure due to failure of corrosion inhibitor in coolant / or lack of maintenance

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.