Northstar 4.6 Overheating - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar 4.6 Overheating in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by sts 03 so thats normal for it to jump a little pass the half way mark ..........i ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Northstar 4.6 Overheating

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    so thats normal for it to jump a little pass the half way mark..........i was thinking something was starting to fail.
    This exact same question and the answers were posted up in Seville earlier this morning. Ranger posted the temp gauge picture.

We now return to gtoman1970's thread.

Mark D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS 1998 Seville STS 1995 Seville SLS 2000 ET

It almost seems like low coolant, but I'm sure you've looked at that already.
    But here's something nobody ever seems to look at - The water pump belt, tensioner and cam pulley.
    The tensioner can become frozen from dirt and road salt. From there, it no longer provides tension to the belt. The belt begins to slip. I recently had to replace a pulley, belt and tensioner on a '94 STS (who's trunk is held shut with a tie-down strap for an indication of the type of service this car has had) because it had been slipping so much for so long that the drive pully on the left intake cam was worn to the point where there was nothing left for the belt to ride on. The car had similar symptoms to your car. It heated up at idle. It did not overheat to the point of boiling coolant out, but it would get quite hot, even in the lower tempratures we've had in December in this area, which are far warmer than normal. It was getting up to 230 or better, which is not out of line but is hot for only short stops in 30 degree weather.

If the car isn't boiling coolant out of your car, you can be pretty sure that it probably isn't head gaskets.

And if it is head gaskets, you asked the question of whether it's worth it to do that job on a car with 127K miles on it (going from memory here) Well, I just did head gaskets on a '98 STS with 200K on it and I feel it was well worth it. The car has been well maintained in all other respects, so I expect it to go at least another 100K miles, mostly trouble free. You will need to do what works for you, but unless the car has been abused and neglected all its life, it's still a fairly new car in most respects.
    Mark D.

Caddys 32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville base
    I have a 02 Deville & the radiator temp always goes 2 the half way mark never once over it. My question is that's normal dead center?
    Attached Images

4 got 2 mention I have a digital dash board. If that even matters it doesn't have actual temp readings. Half way mark guess n about 220 degrees?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not sure about the digidash, but if that is where it always sets, that's the normal position. I would expect it to be about at the half position.

Cool thank u!

gtoman1970 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 cadillac seville

Gauge pegs out in the red
    gtoman1970

----------

Not positive but I think center or just below center seems to be normal for mine, then it hits red and the alarms go off.
    gtoman1970

----------

Update on the 98 Seville, drove it for the first time since I have had it in the show. Got the shop to order the testing equipment to test for exhaust in coolant. Didn't take the test long to change the bad color. If I keep the car I think it will just get a new GM motor. Then pull this one apart and check the head gaskets. I found some GM head gaskets at a very good price.
    gtoman1970

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I agree with Mark in post #17 - that's a good insight. I had the bearings on the water pump tensioner pulley seize - the belt made a slight squealing sound upon cold startup, but that was it. After about 30 seconds or so, it quieted down - the belt kept moving, and so did the water pump, but the belt was slipping on the tensioner pulley. Needless to say, I replaced the pulley (rest of the tensioner was fine), and the belt, and all was well again

Mark D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS 1998 Seville STS 1995 Seville SLS 2000 ET

Quote Originally Posted by gtoman1970 View Post
    Gauge pegs out in the red
    gtoman1970

----------

Not positive but I think center or just below center seems to be normal for mine, then it hits red and the alarms go off.
    gtoman1970

----------

Update on the 98 Seville, drove it for the first time since I have had it in the show. Got the shop to order the testing equipment to test for exhaust in coolant. Didn't take the test long to change the bad color. If I keep the car I think it will just get a new GM motor. Then pull this one apart and check the head gaskets. I found some GM head gaskets at a very good price.
    gtoman1970
    Eh, you haven't priced a new Northstar engine lately, have you?
    I think you might find it advantageous to simply do gaskets on your engine.
    Be mighty sure it really is head gaskets first, though.
    And head gaskets aren't all you'll need to do the job. They are about the cheapest part of the job, though.
    You WILL want to get the stud kit and do it right. For the amount of work involved, there is simply no other way to do it than the right way the first time. If you don't do it the right way the first time, then this won't be the last time you have the problem.
    Mark D.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.