Need Help! Check Emissions Light Car Stalling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Need Help! Check Emissions Light Car Stalling in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I need advice from an expert: I have a 1996 Seville SLS with 60,000 miles on it. Had the following ...
    96sls is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need Help! Check Emissions Light Car Stalling

I need advice from an expert: I have a 1996 Seville SLS with 60,000 miles on it. Had the following done recently:
    1) Dealer fixed a recall
    2) New Plugs and wires
    3) Had carbon cleaned out and emissions service done
    4) Oil Change

I have had problem with the car acceleranting initially at a slower than usual rate since the summer. It escalated early fall with the "Check Emmission System" display coming up and then the RPMs would cut in and out and the steering would lock, gas pedal tighten and it woould stall. My car is now ina public garage and I don't know if I should take it home.

The problem seems to happen when it gets damp and the car sits for a day or two. I washed the car a few days ago and let it sit for 2 days. Then the problem happened.

Anyone that can help me please post a reply.
    Thanks and God Bless!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Need Help! Check Emissions Light Car Stalling

Pull the codes and see if there is a DTC set. Might be a sticky EGR but that would set a DTC telling you so.

Roy
    Roy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree check the codes, should tell you what it is.
    I don't know how on your year but it's very simple on most late model years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Pull the codes and see if there is a DTC set. Might be a sticky EGR but that would set a DTC telling you so.
    Ranger,
    Thanks. I think I am going to buy the EGR valve. Is it a part that I can put in myself? Or does a professional need to install it (with reseting computer codes etc)?
    Thanks!

No need to buy a new one. Save your money. Just pull it and use some carb cleaner and a toothbrush to clean the pintle and shaft till it moves freely. Just be sure to hold it in the upright position as it is mounted so as not to let any carb cleaner run into the can. It will destry the windings. It's mounted to the right of the TB whenlooking over the ;eft fender. No need for professional instalation.

No need to buy a new one. Save your money. Just pull it and use some carb cleaner and a toothbrush to clean the pintle and shaft till it moves freely. Just be sure to hold it in the upright position as it is mounted so as not to let any carb cleaner run into the can. It will destry the windings. It's mounted to the right of the TB whenlooking over the ;eft fender. No need for professional instalation.
    Thanks Ranger. What is the TB?? Is the Valve on the right rear of the top of the engine?

TB = Throttle Body. Follow the intake air duct.

TB = Throttle Body. Follow the intake air duct.
    Will do! Thanks! Picture is me getting in trouble under the hood

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.