Running on 4 Cylinders..not in Overheat mode
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Running on 4 Cylinders..not in Overheat mode in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My Aurora had a clogged injector. Replaced injector and the check engine light came on. The fuel injector harness was ...
    95_Aurora is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora

Running on 4 Cylinders..not in Overheat mode

My Aurora had a clogged injector. Replaced injector and the check engine light came on. The fuel injector harness was shorting out to a intake bolt. Taped up the harness and undid the battery. The the Aurora would only run on the front 2 outside cylinders and the rear middle cylinders. The trouble code says a short in the fuel injector circuit. So I replaced the fuel injector harness, all injectors ohm fine, and replaced the PCM. Still won't run on all 8. Anybody else know why it would only want to run on just 4 cylinders and still have that code? It is like the overheat limp home mode except it does not switch which 4 cylinders it is running on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Running on 4 Cylinders..not in Overheat mode

Those cylinders - 2,3,5,8, - are the two right hand coils on the ICM. Something's fishy there.

Well after the dealership soaked me for 90 dollars in labor and 8 dollars for a fuse, turns out that the fuse was blown for the 4 non squirting injectors. I checked them before, should have again. Now I have more problems as I can't get the new PCM to learn the TPS. I thought the dealership would have done it for me for that 100 dollar bill for a fuse but they didn't :/

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by 95_Aurora View Post
    Well after the dealership soaked me for 90 dollars in labor and 8 dollars for a fuse, turns out that the fuse was blown for the 4 non squirting injectors. I checked them before, should have again. Now I have more problems as I can't get the new PCM to learn the TPS. I thought the dealership would have done it for me for that 100 dollar bill for a fuse but they didn't :/
    why not put the old pcm back........

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

After reading post #1 I was just about to suggest the fuse, which should have been obvious after a short circuit. Then I saw post #3.

Doesn't it relearn on it's own after a few days?

Old PCM was turned in as a core to the parts store. But no they never will relearn the tps on their own. The procedure is a bit easier for Caddys with the diagnostic mode that the Aurora does not have. Procedure from a post on ACNA:

1. Engine off, turn ignition to on
    2. Turn ign to off
    3. wait a min of 20 seconds
    4. Turn ign to on
    5. Turn ign. to off
    6. Wait a minimum of 20 seconds
    7. Turn ign to on
    8 . Turn ign to off
    9. Wait 20 seconds

Then do the idle learn procedure:

1. Start the engine and let it idle until the temp reaches 176 degrees, then idle it an additional 5 minutes.
    2. With the gear in park, briefly accelerate the engine to over 1500 RPM
    3. Return to idle
    4. Apply the brakes, put it in drive, and idle it for two minutes or until the check engine light goes out.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

If it were me, I would have been happy to pay $98 to get my car running on all 8 cylinders again...and a little annoyed at myself for not figuring it out on my own.

Well it's still not fully running all the way, two clogged injectors and the TPS won't set. Regardless my car wasn't even there for an hour and they first only quoted me only a half hour of labor. You don't charge somebody a full hour to change a damn fuse that's not even a half hour job and you don't charge somebody for a 9 dollar fuse when they have a spare in the holder

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

After the initial inspection they should've have ask you if you want the work to be perform before replacing the fuse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.