Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2002 Deville, White Smoke when Ideling

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  drewsdeville 
#1 ·
I just got the car, its a 1996 Deville with a 02 northstar. For the most part engine sounds good. The motor has over 100k, it do use up oil. I have to add 1 qrt. Every 2months and coolent maybe 3 months. I don't see any leaks around or on motor. The car hhaven't over heated on me. When the car has been running for awhile (not after a cold start, but when the warm) I see white smoke, when idel. The smoke do smells sweet, when I look down in the block I don't see any mixing of oil and coolent. I know i have to change the o2 sensors, am doing that this week. Sometimes after I park, then get back in the car after 5 or so minutes and star it back up a cloud of white smoke comes out the tail pipes and then goes away. It's seems like it only happens when idel.
Thank you, this is a great site! May the New Year brings happiness and wealth too all!

#2 ·
Are you sure your "smoke' is not simply exhaust condensation vapor (steam) due to cool/cold weather ?? Do you see other cars with steaming tailpipes on these cold mornings and in stop&go traffic ?

If you're looking for a failing head gasket indicator, know that Northstars do not normally mix coolant and oil under that circumstance. You need to test the airspace over the coolant in the reservoir for the presence of exhaust gas products. Either rent a block test set from a large parts store or go here........www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.