2002 Deville, White Smoke when Ideling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2002 Deville, White Smoke when Ideling in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just got the car, its a 1996 Deville with a 02 northstar. For the most part engine sounds good. ...
    Chicago Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Devile

2002 Deville, White Smoke when Ideling

I just got the car, its a 1996 Deville with a 02 northstar. For the most part engine sounds good. The motor has over 100k, it do use up oil. I have to add 1 qrt. Every 2months and coolent maybe 3 months. I don't see any leaks around or on motor. The car hhaven't over heated on me. When the car has been running for awhile (not after a cold start, but when the warm) I see white smoke, when idel. The smoke do smells sweet, when I look down in the block I don't see any mixing of oil and coolent. I know i have to change the o2 sensors, am doing that this week. Sometimes after I park, then get back in the car after 5 or so minutes and star it back up a cloud of white smoke comes out the tail pipes and then goes away. It's seems like it only happens when idel.
    Thank you, this is a great site! May the New Year brings happiness and wealth too all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2002 Deville, White Smoke when Ideling

Are you sure your "smoke' is not simply exhaust condensation vapor (steam) due to cool/cold weather ?? Do you see other cars with steaming tailpipes on these cold mornings and in stop&go traffic ?

If you're looking for a failing head gasket indicator, know that Northstars do not normally mix coolant and oil under that circumstance. You need to test the airspace over the coolant in the reservoir for the presence of exhaust gas products. Either rent a block test set from a large parts store or go here........www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It smells sweet? Not a good sign. Do you have to add coolant occasionally?

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

"Sometimes after I park, then get back in the car after 5 or so minutes and star it back up a cloud of white smoke comes out the tail pipes and then goes away."

Sounds like valve seals to me - not a common problem on these engines

edb150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Many! I currently own & operate MIDWEST CADILLAC REPAIR

The white smoke after you drive it then park it could very well be antifreeze that has seeped into the cylinder when it was shutdown and under pressure. I have a block test your welcome to use if your not too far from Palatine? 847 878 5676

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I agree. Heavy white smoke on startup that smells like coolant, as well as periodic adding of coolant is evidence enough to justify a block test.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.