ethanol or not
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, ethanol or not in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hello everyone my question is about lower octane with no ethanol ,or higher octane with supposedly 10% ethanol? i read ...
    eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

ethanol or not

hello everyone
    my question is about lower octane with no ethanol ,or higher octane with supposedly 10% ethanol?
    i read a post where rippy's pd wrote 'use what the owners manual says to use'...period.09/01/11.. sounds like
    real good advice, however my cars' manual does not address the issues of todays fuel.
    whats you guys' thoughts on this?
    when in doubt ,ask the people with the experience! run 'em feed it the best
    thanks ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: ethanol or not

Google "Top Tier Gasoline" and use it. Northstars have sophisticated knock sensors and will be happy to run anything 87-93 octane. Over 93 and you achieve exactly nothing - those "octane boosters" are a joke.

It is okay to run 100% gasoline or E10 or anything in between. When E10 is used the gas mileage and performance will suffer but not by too much. Nowadays it's difficult to find a gas station that sells 100% gasoline (at least around my area).

Cabby42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

Around here even the 87 octane has ethanol. The last 100% gas disappeared when Texaco pulled out of the state.
    A friend owns an independent station. He can no longer get 100% gas. In many states the ethanol content isn't required to be labeled on the pump.
    It isn't required here, but usually only the "premium" pump has the ethanol content labeled. Even though the ethanol is in all three grades.
    Myself, I use the 93 octane.
    Ralph

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    Nowadays it's difficult to find a gas station that sells 100% gasoline (at least around my area).
    There are very few stations around here that sell non-ethanol gas. Of the one's that do... it's usually at a marina or at a single pump off to the side and priced quite a bit higher. The majority of non-ethanol sales around here are used in marine applications.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Remember: Gasoline no longer uses MTBE (MethylTertiaryButylEther) as an octane booster/emissions additive due to its ability to leach out of ground storage tanks and pollute wells and groundwater. We haven't used TetraEthylLead ("leaded gas") in automotive gasolines for quite a while because the stuff is death to catalytic converters. Enter Ethanol - an organic octane booster, anti-knock additive, and darling of The Corn Lobby. Not only is ethanol an octane booster, but it is also a powerful detergent. BUT, TANSTAAFL (There Ain 't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) - ethanol does not produce the same heat energy (BTU) as gasoline, so a 10% mixture decreases actual gas mileage a tiny percentage. When our knee-jerk EPA government nodding idiots succeed in mandating E15 we will see another (incrementally larger) gas mileage decrease per unit gallon, to the delight and glee of the Corn Lobby.

Wanna do a teeny tiny protest movement ?? Look at http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?

Late 1940's into the '50's - "Fill it with ethyl, please !"

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Ethanol increases octane, but lowers MPG. Given the choice I'll take 100% gasoline every time when I can find it (which is very rare).

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    Google "Top Tier Gasoline" and use it. Northstars have sophisticated knock sensors and will be happy to run anything 87-93 octane. Over 93 and you achieve exactly nothing - those "octane boosters" are a joke.

It is okay to run 100% gasoline or E10 or anything in between. When E10 is used the gas mileage and performance will suffer but not by too much. Nowadays it's difficult to find a gas station that sells 100% gasoline (at least around my area).
    his 99 is set up to run on Primeume grade fuel i think 91 and higher
    where my 2000 is set to run on 87 Regular this is the case for 2000 and newer n's and 91octane and higher for 99 and older i think

----------

there is a list i have posted a link to a few times pure-gas.org i think or something like that i havent used the link in months since i know where the E free fuels are near me

but you can find E free fuels
    and most likly easier to find in the summer months up North because you can go to places that sell fuel for rec use and fine E free fuels there

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    his 99 is set up to run on Primeume grade fuel i think 91 and higher
    where my 2000 is set to run on 87 Regular this is the case for 2000 and newer n's and 91octane and higher for 99 and older i think
    Irrelevant. They all have knock sensors to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Irrelevant. They all have knock sensors to compensate.
    Oh ok

.............and use the link in post #5.

eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

thanks everybody, iv'e been to those links ,good info,there are a couple of places (marinas) around town.i guess as long as the 10% mix isn't detremental to the engine or its componets i will continue to use shell. i suppose any company that drills for crude is going to destroy people and property

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    .............and use the link in post #5.
    yup thats it the link you posted thats the sight i think i first posted a link to sevral times but erlier in the year i think is when i first posted that for some one

----------

when i drive to Detroit i stop at this Marathon station about 10 minutes away from the turnpike before i get on
    and drive from round trip to the D and back to Cleveland i pull 31mpg on Cruise Control at 68-69 mph
    do that same trip same speed in Shell 87 and i get around 25-26mpg

WOW !!! You need to go to work for GM Powertrain Engineering: A 6 mpg gain in your observed fuel mileage is an 18% - 20 % difference. You will be an overnight millionaire.

47 miles down the Shore from here, in Cambridge, there's an independent that sells non-ethanol 89 octane at $.06 more/gallon than the ethanol version. Every now and then I use the stuff for grins; on a 220 mile one-way to Norfolk, VA I get less than a 0.5 mpg gain, about the same conditions, flat road - not a hill in sight. It's not worth the 3-mile detour in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    WOW !!! You need to go to work for GM Powertrain Engineering: A 6 mpg gain in your observed fuel mileage is an 18% - 20 % difference. You will be an overnight millionaire.

47 miles down the Shore from here, in Cambridge, there's an independent that sells non-ethanol 89 octane at $.06 more/gallon than the ethanol version. Every now and then I use the stuff for grins; on a 220 mile one-way to Norfolk, VA I get less than a 0.5 mpg gain, about the same conditions, flat road - not a hill in sight. It's not worth the 3-mile detour in my case.
    well when it comes down to it Both are cars are Different and not the same
    so i don't know how come you only get about a .5mpg gain and i get around 6mpg but that is what i do and what i get
    now yeah if i hit it at 75 or 80 that MPG goes way down
    but still i know if i was anyone els i would be sceptical also
    about this

but for me i know what i get
    i don't notice much diference city driving no matter where i am in the city or what gas i put it in always get around 16-18 mpg city driving but on the highway it just jumps right up with E Free and im not talking about what the Onboard system tells me im doing my own math and figured it out like this
    if i fill up and then get to where i am going and fill up again i take the amount i had to top off with when i got to my destination and take that with the miles driven and calculate my MPG
    i realy ever use or go by the INST or AVG MPG on the on board system

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    when i drive to Detroit i stop at this Marathon station about 10 minutes away from the turnpike before i get on
    and drive from round trip to the D and back to Cleveland i pull 31mpg on Cruise Control at 68-69 mph
    do that same trip same speed in Shell 87 and i get around 25-26mpg
    I don't know what your point is. Marathon is better than Shell? You're using different octane fuels? One has ethanol and the other doesn't? Either way, all factors being the same (speed, wind, load, temperature) there is no way you are getting 6 MPG difference. SOME FACTOR is different.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.