2000 deville using oil HELP !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000 deville using oil HELP ! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Whats up fellow caddy heads. I have a 2000 cadillac deville that i bought with 98k on the clock , ...
    polorico is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Cool 2000 deville using oil HELP !

Whats up fellow caddy heads.

I have a 2000 cadillac deville that i bought with 98k on the clock , now it has 103k coming up on a routine oil change.

i put 10-30w mobile 1 high mileage synthetic oil in it.

I got a "Check oil level" message on the dash board , i checked my oil and it was running pretty low just barley had any oil on the dipstick , It had done this 1 other time prior to this , the second time it has done it since the Oil change .. So i put 5 quarts in it to get it back to where it needs to be .......

I never see any leaks on the concrete or any type burning or smells .....

I have also had 2 1996 devilles that had this type of problem ....

Car runs great , Just seems to use Oil , My step dads , and my fear is that this could cause alot of problems down the road.

Any ideas why it is using this oil ? maybe a oil manifold slow leak ? My oil change is due in about 300 miles and it has used like 5 quarts since then.....

Any help would be great. Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

Re: 2000 deville using oil HELP !

Mine takes 5W-30, says it right on the cap. Are you sure the 2000 is 10W? I know the 90's were.

Also, the Northstar takes exactly 4.5 quarts to fill I believe.

iruleyounow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): RIP 01 Deville 69k Current:1998 Concours 60k
    Its 5w-30 man.

Whoops, meant to type 7.5 quarts up there. LOL. I'm going to bed.

It says 5W-30W on the cap , i have a friend who works in a big cadillac dealership in dallas and told me that it does not matter if i put 5 w or 10 w

Also it takes about 7 quarts , thats what the oil change people have told me.

Any other input ? i just dont want to have a problem down the road.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

-----------

---------------------------------------
    WRONG!

Our Cadillacs take exactly 7.5 quarts including the .5 qt for the oil filter.

------------------
    So i put 5 quarts in it to get it back to where it needs to be .......

When you get the "check oil level" warning you USUALLY have 6+- quarts remaining - you need to add about 1.5 quarts - I hope you didn't dump 5 quarts in it!
    -----------------

The Northstar motor is known to use oil - if you put in any more than 7.5 quarts it will quickly be sucked up and burned - most of us only fill them with 7 quarts - look at the "hash marks" on your dipstick - when properly filled, the oil level will be in the MIDDLE of the hash marks.

Go up to the Technical Archives at the top of the page and read up on oil consumption and full throttle acceleration.

--------------------------

My oil change is due in about 300 miles and it has used like 5 quarts since then.....

Are you taking advantage of the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) - or are you wasting money, oil and time changing your oil every 3000 miles?

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KNCadillac8898 View Post
    Mine takes 5W-30, says it right on the cap. Are you sure the 2000 is 10W? I know the 90's were.

I HOPE you are using 7.5 quarts in your DTS!

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by polorico View Post
    It says 5W-30W on the cap , i have a friend who works in a big cadillac dealership in dallas and told me that it does not matter if i put 5 w or 10 w

Also it takes about 7 quarts , thats what the oil change people have told me.

---------------
    it does not matter if i put 5 w or 10 w
    --------------
    If this were true - Cadillac would say USE EITHER 5W OR 10W - 30

It says 5W-30W on the cap -

and it says this for a reason
    --------------
    i have a friend who works in a big cadillac dealership in dallas

is he a porter or car-wash guy?
    --------------------

Any other input ? i just dont want to have a problem down the road.
    Ya - don't listen to your friend! - Feel free to ask us!
    --------------

Thanks for the input

so from here on out put only 5w - 30 in it ???

there was little to no oil on the dipstick , So i did put 5 quarts in it ...

when i took the dipstick back out , it was right where it needs to be in the hashmarks and it said something like "where the oil needs to be " but in fancy terms.....

All my north star motors have used oil before , and i would always just add oil when ever the sign came up...

So my question is

should i just add oil when ever it says "check oil level" ? im just worried that its either burning it , or slow leaking it somewhere. I have not found any evidence on the concrete at the house , or when i park at school .... I am just worried it has no oil in it when i didnt see any on the dipstick...

Also yeah i just change my Oil when ever the milage is due , It reads it has 35 percent oil life left , When would you recommend to change it ?

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

It took 5 quarts to get to midway on the hash marks on the dip stick? If it is burning that much oil, you could damage the catalytic converter, but I would first check externally for leaks or seepage. Check around the valve covers, timing cover, oil filter adapter, oil cooler lines (if equipped), half case seal, oil pan, rear main seal. A leaking oil manifold would could both a loss of oil pressure and perhaps oil level if we are talking about the same thing (oil manifold distributes pressurized oil to the mains and heads). Does tail pipe area look black/covered with soot?

Lol, I mis-typed it. I checked the thread later and reread my post and had a WTF did I write moment. I corrected myself up above.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

For a 2000 Northstar engine, 1.5 quarts of 5W-30 oil will bring the level from the tip of the dipstick to the proper level of halfway up the hashmark. DO NOT attempt to keep the oil level at the top of the hashmark - at the OPERATING RANGE mark - the engine will rapidly burn off the overfill.

If you added 5 quarts of oil to a Northstar engine with "barely ..... any oil on the dipstick" then the engine is now overfilled by about 3.5 quarts - a total of 10 or so. Bad move.

2000 - 2004 Northstar:

<=== ADD= XXXXXXXXXX = OPERATING RANGE ===========oo===================================== ==O

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

so from here on out put only 5w - 30 in it ???
    5W30 or 10W30 is just fine. Technically it is spec'd for 5W30, but that's to appease the tree huggers. I have never run anything but 10W30. Either is just fine.

The correct oil level should be in the middle of the hash marks, not at the MAX mark.

I am just worried it has no oil in it when i didnt see any on the dipstick...
    When the oil level drops off the tip of the dipstick and the CHECK OIL LEVEL message comes on you still have 5.5 qts of oil left in the crankcase.

Also yeah i just change my Oil when ever the milage is due , It reads it has 35 percent oil life left , When would you recommend to change it ?
    Change it when it tells you to at 10% or less.

Car runs great , Just seems to use Oil , My step dads , and my fear is that this could cause alot of problems down the road.
    You're not gonna have any problems down the road. It's just the nature of the beast. Go to the Technical Archives at the top left of the page and read up on oil consumption. It's all explained there.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Please do not double post. Threads merged.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Troops, The owner's manual states that 10W-30 is acceptable for use in ambient temperatures above 0 degrees F in the 2000+ Northstars......yes, 5W-30 is the recommended viscosity but running 10W-30 won't hurt a thing.
    When all else fails, read the directions................

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I would not be concerned with 10W30 even in below zero temps. What did we do before 5W30 was around?

Good looks guys

Then its using that much oil then.

so from here on out i will only put 2 quarts in it.....

My dude who works in the dealership told me it was the oil manifold

any idea on how much the part is ?

i get free labor : )

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Also, I suggest you start using conventional oil - unless the syn oil is free too - your oil filler cap says 5W-30, but either 5W-30 or 10W-30 is probably fine - especially at 103K miles.

I think the oil manifold is 100 something dollars, but the engine has to come out and be disassembled to replace it. That's not a real common problem - there was a TSB for rings on the 2000, if memory serves...???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.