Oil leak 2004 DHS could switching to Syn oil at 60k cause a leak or make one worse
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil leak 2004 DHS could switching to Syn oil at 60k cause a leak or make one worse in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 2004 DHS I bought used with 60K on her. Switched over to SYN oil and now have an oil leak....
    greatscottcw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DHS

Question Oil leak 2004 DHS could switching to Syn oil at 60k cause a leak or make one worse

2004 DHS I bought used with 60K on her. Switched over to SYN oil and now have an oil leak.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Re: Oil leak 2004 DHS could switching to Syn oil at 60k cause a leak or make one wor

Can you determine where the oil leak is coming from? I seriously doubt switching to synthetic caused the problem by itself.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Oil leak 2004 DHS could switching to Syn oil at 60k cause a leak or make one wor

Yeah, that. I run Pennzoil Platinum synthetic and the engine exterior is as dry as a bone.

If the leak is from/near the oil filter adapter, look at the filter seal gasket, the adapter O-ring seals, the oil pressure sending switch. Somewhere around the front (passenger end) of the engine is usually a P/S fluid leak, not engine oil. At the rear (driver's end) it's usually either a transmission fluid leak or the rear main bearing seal (not good, and expensive). Oil drain plug ???

Not unheard of - a CKP O-ring - left side of engine, lower. A CMP O-ring - right (rear) cylinder head cam cover, front lower face.

Don't overfill the crankcase - keep the oil level in the lower half of the dipstick hashmark.

greatscottcw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DHS

Great! Thanks, you gave me some info to help pinpoint the problem.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

switching to a Full syn wouldn't cause a oil leak to start unless there was a crack or leak somewhere that was not letting anything leak noticeable then Full syn could cause the leak to get worst because the Oil is more slicker and thinner at least
    this is how i have always heard it
    i may be wrong
    but if you have a leak and switch to full syn it will get worst
    but its possible you where on Dyno oil witch was thick and not letting the leak you may have had be big enough to notice it untill now

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That is an old wives tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    That is an old wives tale.
    ah kk
    didn't know that

i just know that after using the full syn and getting like 800 miles to a qt when i was using dyno a 4 months erlier and getting around 2200-2400 to a qt

even with my TEC cleaning im not even going to mess around with it anymore

im staying with regular Conventional Mobil Clean 5000 supper 5000 and thats it
    i figure you know add so much between oil changes anyways always refreshing why spend the extra 4-5 dollars a qt for oil

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    i just know that after using the full syn and getting like 800 miles to a qt when i was using dyno a 4 months erlier and getting around 2200-2400 to a qt
    ...............bat crap ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    ...............bat crap ^^^
    ?? im not sure i understand what you mean sub bat crap ??

OK, I'll spell it out in plain English: There is no way on earth that changing from synthetic lube oil to conventional lube oil or vice versa will result in a 1600 mile per quart consumption change.

(..........but then again, your car is one in ten million, so anything is possible.)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the censors, "bat crap" is a smaller, more manageable pelletized form of what bulls leave in the pasture.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I think someone on here (jimmyh maybe) told me that the synthetic oil molecule is actually physically larger than the dino/con oil molecule

so that theory is backwards (if there's anything to it at all)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

mrmojo95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cts-v Ls7 Clutch/Fly, Cam, LEDint/ext, side exit exhaust
    I addition to that dino oil has impurities, which are of smaller molecular size and that becomes consumed resulting in lost oil past the rings mainly...syn oil will not cause a leak, but since it flows better, and very minor leak becomes a real leak. I am a twenty year veteran of the oil and lube industry if that helps.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    OK, I'll spell it out in plain English: There is no way on earth that changing from synthetic lube oil to conventional lube oil or vice versa will result in a 1600 mile per quart consumption change.

(..........but then again, your car is one in ten million, so anything is possible.)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the censors, "bat crap" is a smaller, more manageable pelletized form of what bulls leave in the pasture.
    ok here is what happend
    i was on Dyno i was close to 2500qt sometimes 2200 sometimes 2500 for the first 10k

i switched to Syn blend droped to like 1800-2200 a qt over the next 10k period

then switched to Full syn at 20k total on engine drove 1850 miles i think Low Oil msg or check oil level came on
    added 2 qts drove about 1600 or 1700 miles i think and check oil came on again

took it to Shop Mechanic pulled plugs wanted to see if there was anything visable on them any burnt any reason for oil to burn as fast as it was
    put plugs back in after saying they where fine missfire happend then all this other crap over the next 2 days of trying to figure out
    why it was missfiring just from pulling the plugs and putting them back in
    finaly did a Full Top End Cleaning
    added 7.5 qts of Mobil super 5000 conventional oil drove 2100 miles check oil level msg still had not come on but checked the level anyways added .80 of a qt id say got it back up to a little above half way on the has mark

i never said it was the reason something els could have been wrong
    but i know for me im not using full syn anymore id rather stay with the 3.5 a bottle conventional and hope i stay at 2200-2500 a qt and be happy

but i still wonder how come switching from dyno to syn blend dropped mile to qt so much then right after switchign to full syn it dropped it way lower
    so please explain what you think could have coused that

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.