Water pump removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ranger
  • 2 Post By vincentm
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Water pump removal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Im trying to remove a water pump from my 1994 Eldorado, I bought the water pump removal tool and proceeded ...
    JohnnyGauge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 cadillac eldorado

Water pump removal

Im trying to remove a water pump from my 1994 Eldorado, I bought the water pump removal tool and proceeded to try to remove it this way http://www.ehow.com/how_7669828_inst...r-pump.html#sf My tool did not come with a retaining bar. It was just the cup. This also says that Im suppose to turn the tool counterclockwise to remove the pump. The teeth only lock in to turn Clockwise. So I broke out the hanes book with the guy at the autoparts store and it says to remove the pump you must turn it clockwise. i tried that and the teeth wouldnt lock in and kept slipping out and chewed up the teeth on the tool. I took it back and got my money back. So im going to try to find a different tool...can anyone clear up what Im missing here? Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Water pump removal

Clockwise to remove it. Counter clockwise to install it. That links directions are ass backwards. The cheap tools are stamped steel. The better ones are machined and will hold up better. A few bursts from an impact wrench will usually persuade the stubborn ones.
    JohnnyGauge and JohnnyGauge like this.

Thank you!

Here are some pics of my homemade socket. You can probably tell the difference in the beefiness between it and the one you had (probably a $20 Lysle socket?) The Snap-on, KD, MAC, SK or Kent-Moore are more like mine, but will probably be over $100.

P.S.
    Making it was good insurance. Haven't needed it yet.
    Attached Images

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Get a FSM or an Alldata subscription, douse the haynes manual in gasoline and set it aflame.
    Ranger and Ranger like this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGauge View Post
    Thank you!
    Technically, the new pump capsule goes in (odd tab oriented correctly) CCW to 73 ft/lb with the O-ring wet with raw coolant.

Double YES to the service manual ^^^

www.alldatadiy.com ; Paper manual from ebay or www.helminc.com

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Technically, the new pump capsule goes in (odd tab oriented correctly) CCW to 73 ft/lb with the O-ring wet with raw coolant.

Double YES to the service manual ^^^

www.alldatadiy.com ; Paper manual from ebay or www.helminc.com
    yes, but you have to be care........you can easily take it too far (past the locks).......

All you are doing is locking the tabs in place

Well...Ive rented a quality OEM Socket its holding up well but just like the other one the socket will not stay in place. everytime I try to turn the ratchet the socket slips out and will not stay in place. I cant get this pump out for the life of me. Ive tried knocking it with a screwdriver and hammer. It wont budge. This sucks!!! My car is on the street not in a garage so I tried to take advantage of the weather today...Fail

You will need to get or fabricate the hold down that gets bolted across the socket, but you might try a few short bursts from an impact wrench. That will usually break it free.

It was seized up pretty good but the impact wrench came through. definitely took some patience and alot of beating with a hammer but the impact eventually came thorough. Thanks guys

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Don't overdo it when you put the new one on. Actually, you probably already did it, but this comment is for future readers of this post. As 89falcon says, don't overdo it - there is a factory torque spec, but basically, you just want to bottom out on the stop - if you turn too hard, you can bend or break the stop/locking tang

johncccc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 concours

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You will need to get or fabricate the hold down that gets bolted across the socket, but you might try a few short bursts from an impact wrench. That will usually break it free.
    I was at a major standstill with the removal. I had a cheap socket and no retainer. I eventually resorted to using the water pump cover itself as the retainer, by using four longer 6x1.0x50mm bolts finger-tight (a bit too long but use a couple of washers). The interior face of the cover is flat and provides a nice bushing surface against the back of the socket, especially with a bit of motor oil on there. By removing the thermostat there is access to turn the socket with a 6" extension. This plus 36 hours of treatment with penetrating oil (I used Seafoam Deep Creep), and it still took my 2' breaker bar and I estimate about 200-300 ft lb of torque to pop it.

Attempting to attach a picture with the "retaining" water pump cover in place. Note the 1" gap between the cover and its usual mating surface.

Hope this helps someone in the future...

Cheers,
    John
    water_pump_retainer_hack2.JPG

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Use a machinist's straightedge at several angles across the water pump cover machined surface: The chances are great that you have warped the face and it won't seal properly.

Pictures of the new pump cover and seal ("gasket") in my albums.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.