Camshaft pulley removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ternstes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
  • 2 Post By ternstes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Camshaft pulley removal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am currently trying to remove the pulley on the camshaft. I rented a 3 prong pulley remover. The pulley ...
    JohnnyGauge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 cadillac eldorado

Camshaft pulley removal

I am currently trying to remove the pulley on the camshaft. I rented a 3 prong pulley remover. The pulley itself is chewed up from the water pump pulley seizing up. The prongs are slipping off the pulley. Is it safe to dremel the plastic off the inner metal portion and use the pulley remover to pull the metal portion off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Re: Camshaft pulley removal

Use a power steering pulley remover. Borrow them from an autoparts place, or buy one at Harbor Freight for cheap.
    JohnnyGauge and JohnnyGauge like this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The puller - whatever puller you use - grabs the groove in the cam pulley metal hub.

Remove the cam thread black plastic protective cover (if it's still in place) - and when you replace the drive pulley, use a proper sized metric bolt and an increasing stack of greased washers to push the new pulley hub flush with the end of the cam snout.

Ahhh thank you so much! I will have to install the new one with an installer. They look pretty confusing if you have a thumbnail on how that works that would be great! thanks again!

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

The end of the camshaft has a threaded hole. It's M8 x 1.25 threads. Get a bolt that size maybe 30 mm in length with some washers. Slip the new pulley onto the shaft a bit and thread the bolt with washers into the hole. Careful though, the hole only goes so deep. It does not take a lot of force to push the pulley on. If you get increasing resistance and the pulley isn't moving, you've bottomed out the bolt so add some more washers and try again. I always eyeball the cam pulley with the tensioner pulley to make sure they are both in line You do want them lined up straight otherwise the belt may come off or get shredded.

Thank you!

Ok so im at a crossroads here with this pulley and getting it off. Ive tried 2 different kinds. One was just a puller but the end of it did not have threads and I torqued it in. I may have screwed up the threads and may have to tap it. Assuming the thread size is M8x1.25. That puller did not work. I also tried a kit that was a puller and installer. It did not have a bolt that fit in the camshaft. The guy at the auto parts store called a dealer and they said it took a "special tool" so im at a point where I may have to go straight to the dealer and see what they can do for me as far as either showing me the tool and telling me where I can get it. Or renting it from them. Im getting a little frustrated. Thanks for any help!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Post #3.

The puller does not have threads which go into the cam - it uses a taper tip to center in the cam snout bore and a pair of fingers or slotted "grabber" to engage the cam pulley hub grooved area - turning the puller bolt against the cam snout bore pulls the drive pulley hub off the cam.

Exactly the reverse is used for the new pulley install. The proper sized metric bolt, with a beginning stack of greased washers, threaded into the cam snout, begins to push the hub onto the cam. Backing off and adding more washers will eventually push the hub onto the cam - flush with the snout end.

Either improvise with inexpensive makeshift tools or spend the $300+ for the dedicated Kent-Moore GM tools.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGauge View Post
    Ok so im at a crossroads here with this pulley and getting it off. Ive tried 2 different kinds. One was just a puller but the end of it did not have threads and I torqued it in. I may have screwed up the threads and may have to tap it. Assuming the thread size is M8x1.25. That puller did not work. I also tried a kit that was a puller and installer. It did not have a bolt that fit in the camshaft. The guy at the auto parts store called a dealer and they said it took a "special tool" so im at a point where I may have to go straight to the dealer and see what they can do for me as far as either showing me the tool and telling me where I can get it. Or renting it from them. Im getting a little frustrated. Thanks for any help!
    If you go too cheap on the puller, it will try to thread itself into the cam bolt hole. Get a quality puller, like the one in post 3 and it'll work....or just go to your local Autozone and borrow this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&target=shelf

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.