Motor Mount project
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Motor Mount project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey Guys, Im getting tired of breaking front motor mounts in my 98 sts with a lightly cammed northstar in ...
    smooththg6969 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville SLS( parts) ,98 sts

Motor Mount project

Hey Guys, Im getting tired of breaking front motor mounts in my 98 sts with a lightly cammed northstar in it. So My ADHD Mind Got to thinking of a way to fix this mount problem. While Looking at the mount with it in my hand some of the light hydraulic fluid dripped out.

Then it hit me, shouldn't replacing the fluid with something denser that wont leak out fix the problem? But what could I put in the mount that wouldn't leak out but also seal the gaping crack in the rubber. Hmmmm tic, toc, tic, toc, tic, toc, DING DING DING. Fill the sucker up with silicone sealant and letting it cure for a week or two locking the little piston inside the mount in place. Creating a solid mount.

So thats what I did I drilled two holes in the side of the mount so I could drain the remaining fluid and pour a little degreaser in it. I then cleaned it real good rinsing through the holes i drilled until the water ran clean. I left it in the sun to dry for a couple of hours. Then I filled it with silicone rtv that comes in the tube that fits a caulking gun until it came up through the top crack on the mount. I wiped the excess and filled it a little more untill i couldnt get any more in with out it coming out the cracks. will it hold ? Who knows its in the back yard curing. I cant wait to put it on and give it a try. i took pics but I have to find the camera cable resize them the post them

What ya think guys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Motor Mount project

295 ft/lb of WOT torque on caulking gun silicone.........you really need solid rubber or polyurethane shock mount stuff with a steel tube core. Your idea may hold for a while..........

Did you consider the possibility of filling the solvent-cleaned mount boot with slow curing epoxy putty mixed to about the consistency of sour cream so you could use a WEST system syringe to inject it ? Solid mount.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Or make a set of torque struts and you'll never have to change it again.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...northstar.html

I was thinking it would hold because after all it was filled with oil. which once the rubber at the top was torn it easily flow out loosing the damping that it provided. the silicone would at least compress but not flow out . Heres a image that closely resembles our style of mount

I checked the mount out today and it definitely feels stiffer than a new factory mount. im gonna give it a couple more days to cure then Ill put it to the test. Ill post pictures in a few

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Somehow I just don't think it's gonna hold, but I'll be interested to hear the outcome. Good luck.

Well I couldn't wait and since i was under the car already tracking down a problem with my rack and pinion. i decided to change the mount. Its only been in there for one day now but I think its gonna hold up with no problems. I do have a little bit of vibration transferred from the engine which i can deal with, but also remember I have aftermarket Camshafts installed . I also noticed much better throttle response. I keep you guys updated if anything changes. but so far it works

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

If the mount is fluid filled it is then a pressure vessel and silicone is too soft and will tesar or rip not having a variable compression effect.

They do make a compound that they use in place if air in tires for forklifts & other specialty apps that may fair better but I would use 3M windshield gasket cement for a heavy duty strong bonding & stiff yet pliable filler.

power007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS 2001

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by power007 View Post
    This suggested thread ^^^ also has nothing to do with either strut rods or motor mounts..............(yes, there's a picture of an early Northstar dog bone)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.