4.6 N* Crank shaft / oil pump question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 4.6 N* Crank shaft / oil pump question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 4.6 out of a 1999 STS. I studded the block using the kit from northstarperformance. After about ...
    ToMuchWork is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 sts

4.6 N* Crank shaft / oil pump question

I have a 4.6 out of a 1999 STS. I studded the block using the kit from northstarperformance. After about 12000 ml it sounds to have a rod knocking.
    Now I am looking at a whole lot more fun
    Anyway when taking it apart I noticed that the crankshaft is grooved a little where the oil pump sits. As I do not have a new crankshaft to compare this to and dont really want to buy a new one unless necessary I am wondering if this is normal machining for this crankshaft? The groove looks to be about a few thousandths deep. I have attached a few pics. Hopefully you can see what I am talking about. Any advice would be appreciated as again I am not looking to buy a new crankshaft.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: 4.6 N* Crank shaft / oil pump question

I'm no expert but that can't be good. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but such a groove would need a new crank

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Looks like the harmonic balancer bolt torque was incorrectly done during the first overhaul and the oil pump drive ferrule has been spinning on the crank. (That might be the cause of the rod knock.....) You can probably get away with this one. That is not a great load bearing part of the crank - a simple polish with fine crocus cloth, proper torque on reassembly and you're good to go.

Here's the orientation of the oil pump setup.

Thanks for the quick reply. One other question. How difficult should turning the oil pump be?
    I am trying to turn the oil drive rotor #9 with the oil drive pump spacer #11 and I am unable
    to turn it by hand. I would think it would be able to be turned by hand. Now another question
    comes up. What drives the oil pump? I assume that the crankshaft turns the oil drive pump spacer
    by centrifugal force and then the spacer drives the rotor. I assume this as there is not a gear or shaft
    that is turned like the oil pumps in other motors.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The oil pump is driven by being clamped (sandwiched) between the dampener and the rear lip of the crankshaft. That is why dampener torque is so high and is extremely critical when installing the dampener. Too loose and it slips, thus no oil pressure.

edb150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Many! I currently own & operate MIDWEST CADILLAC REPAIR

The oil pump is driven by the crank once the balancer is torqued .The oil pump drive is essentially sandwiched in between the balancer and the crank but only if its torqued properly as Sub said. The pump should turn by hand . I have several extra pumps if you need one its yours for the cost of shipping. Call me at 847 878 5676 Joe @ www.midwestcadillacrepair.com

Thanks for the info Ranger and edb150, edb150 I will call you tomorrow.

Kevin

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

If you have a rod knock.....I'm betting your crack is bad.....ie, if it were a "normal" crank, it would need to be turned....and since turning the N* crank isn't recommended....bad crank.....

Does it knock the same all the time, or does it get worse under load?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.