Should I have my brand new, never fired 4.0 long-block studded?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Should I have my brand new, never fired 4.0 long-block studded? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently purchased one of the last remaining 4.0 "Shelby" Aurora V8's which is brand-new in the crate, sitting since ...
    auroradude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora, 08 Z06

Should I have my brand new, never fired 4.0 long-block studded?

I recently purchased one of the last remaining 4.0 "Shelby" Aurora V8's which is brand-new in the crate, sitting since '99. It is filled to the brim with synthetic oil to prevent rusting. I was wondering since the engine has been sitting for 12 years now, do you think it will be fine if I just pressurize the oil system and fire it up? It comes with all accessories and ignition-related items. Everything down to the A/C compressor is on the engine, all I have to do is put the manifolds on it from my old motor. The seller I bought it from in Las Vegas claims it has different camshafts in it, but I am not sure I believe that. Basically, if it's been sitting all these years in a dry vegas warehouse, shrinkwrapped, it should be fine right? A few guys have told me the head gasket or other gaskets may start leaking once it is running....? I really don't want to ship the engine all the way up to Canada to have it studded though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Re: Should I have my brand new, never fired 4.0 long-block studded?

I'd also pull the plugs and turn the crank a couple times with a breaker bar....I'd hate to find out a cylinder got filled with oil and you end up bending a rod.....

Shrink-wrapped in one of the driest climates in NA? I think the head gaskets will be OK.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I would think you'll be just fine.

Speedygman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7

If you are comfortable enough to change engines around why not do the studs your self, it is not any different than the mechanical work that you are already doing. I would stud the engine if I were going to be keeping this car for a long time.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I understand Speedyman's logic, but I'm with 89falcon and Ranger on this one. First of all, the engine, as-is, might outlast the car. Also, let's assume that the factory did everything perfectly when they assembled the engine - they have the experience and jigs and specialized tools to do that. Unless you have past experience with these engines (and even if you do), there is a chance that you will make a mistake or omission during re-assembly; why take a chance on that? I say bolt on your manifolds and drop it in!

Thanks people. Well I do plan on having the car last at least another 10 years as I spent almost $4000 on a nice paint job for it. I'm going to replace whatever sensors that aren't on the motor, and also going to replace the original fuel pump since I have a feeling it may be dieing. The current engine feels pretty slow as if it was low on compression.

Is there a way to prime the oil pump? I couldn't find it in the service manuals. Oh also, I am not doing any of the work myself hehe. I wish I knew how, but i'm having my buddy that owns a shop do all the work

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Is there a way to prime the oil pump?
    Put 16 qts of oil in it. That will submerge the pump and prime it. Start it and run it to about 3K a few times then shut down and drain 8.5 qts.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Ranger's response is correct, if the pump doesn't prime on its own, but it's usually not necessary. The recommendation in my chassis manual is to disconnect the ignition module (at the coil pack), and engage the starter until the low oil pressure warning light goes out - usually takes less than 30 seconds. The top end of the engine will be noisy at first - don't be concerned - it usually takes several minutes to pump up the lifters and take out all the valve lash.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

I would never do that to a new block ever.
    Do you know that all of the Shelby Engines were sold for $250 at the auction?

Thanks, we will just plug it in and I'll get the computer tuned then. And yep I do know that, although you did have to buy them in blocks of 10, what a steal..people were paying as high as $5000 for these on ebay back in 2004 and 2005. I only paid $1500 for mine plus shipping. For a brand new engine i consider that a pretty good price at least compared to my other cars. I have a $16,000 supercharged 383 stroker motor in my Camaro.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    I would never do that to a new block ever.
    Do you know that all of the Shelby Engines were sold for $250 at the auction?
    you would never do what to a new block ?
    stud it ?
    why not

My block was Brand new From Jake it is a 02 model block
    and i had it studed so why would you not stud it ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    you would never do what to a new block ?
    stud it ?
    why not

My block was Brand new From Jake it is a 02 model block
    and i had it studed so why would you not stud it ?
    Why would you waste the money to pull apart a good engine?

So you have a brand new $1500 engine. This engine has never been fired up. Now you want to pull it down and install studs for a minimum of $500 plus the labor. You want to install a part for a part that has not failed. Most of these engine will go 100K with no issues. Now the lower crank halves are another story. I would spend the $50 to fix the the issue so it doesn't leak. GM has a fix for that and they will all leak at a very low milage.

If you want to email me I will explain why studs are not a good idea in this case. caleditor@pcmcalibrators.com
    I have explained all of this before

Quote Originally Posted by pcmcalibrators View Post
    Why would you waste the money to pull apart a good engine?

So you have a brand new $1500 engine. This engine has never been fired up. Now you want to pull it down and install studs for a minimum of $500 plus the labor. You want to install a part for a part that has not failed. Most of these engine will go 100K with no issues. Now the lower crank halves are another story. I would spend the $50 to fix the the issue so it doesn't leak. GM has a fix for that and they will all leak at a very low milage.

If you want to email me I will explain why studs are not a good idea in this case. caleditor@pcmcalibrators.com
    I have explained all of this before
    First off All i asked is why you would never do that to a new block
    to me it doesn't matter if its a new enign ethat never been run and been srink warped for 10 plus years or if its just new parts and a engine being built up i would stud it whyll its out
    because well yeah could go 100k no problem
    for me that 100k is 3 years tops
    for you maybe 10 years for me 3 years

but this has nothing to do with what i asked
    what i was asking was why would AJ never do that to a knew block
    I had it done to my block because my block was brand new never had any bolts put it in it my engine was rebuilt every gasket every o ring ever sail everything right inch of the engine the only parts that are not new are the Cam's the pistons and the heads
    from when i was talking to my Mechanic the other day he even informed me that he put a new water pump in that i had no idea he did

so there again i post the question to AJ
    why would he not do that to a knew block

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

T P, Put AJ's reply in context: This thread concerns disassembling a new, complete crate engine to fix something which may never fail. AJ's reply basically reinforced previous advice: Don't take apart a factory built high performance engine to fix something that is not broken.

You were in an entirely different situation - your engine was toast and you needed a new block from scratch. In your case, studding the new block prior to assembling the engine was probably a good decision.

O P = New complete Shelby engine

T P = overhauling trashed engine from a bare block

............apples and oranges

sub I get what your saying

but what i was Responding to was when AJ said why would you do that to a New Block
    well did not sound like he was saying new engine he said new block so i explained why i would

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.