knock sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, knock sensor in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; okay i just changed my vehicle speed sensor today and then when i drove it got the code for engine ...
    ratherbriding99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

knock sensor

okay i just changed my vehicle speed sensor today and then when i drove it got the code for engine knock sensor error(not sure if thats exactly what the code says) So where is the knock sensor at? And could i have unplugged it while changing the other sensor? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: knock sensor

There are 2 knock sensors, they are in between... IIRC 3 and 4? they are mounted right onto the block...

... the speed sensors are part of the ABS, on the hubs right? I don't see how changing that could bother the knock sensors at all...

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The VSS is on the tranny tailhousing, and if you have a 95-99 block, the knock sensor is <4" across from it. It's entirely possible you may have knocked the wiring loose, or disconnected it for some reason, and didn't put it back on. If you have a 93-94 block, your knock sensor is in the V of the block (next to the starter), also they went back to that scheme in 2000+ I believe.

dloch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The knock sensor for a 97 in in the valley with the starter.

dang i don't know which one i have, i know my car is a 94 but im thinkin the engine is a 95. but i found a loose wire so it must be the 95. I'm gonna check that out. I'll let ya'll know.

dloch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The motor I put in my car was a 95/96. It had the knock sensor on the back of the block right in front of the trans. It screwed in to what looked like a bolt hole. I had to drill and tap a boss in the valley to install the knock sensor in the correct position for a 97.

Based on the fact that you got a knock sensor code after changing the VSS I would look for wires/connectors that look to be connected on the lower part of block on the back side of the motor.

Bbob would know this right off the top of his head.

My bad... so then you've got the 93-95, 96-99, and 2000+ schemes?

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

95 to current has the knock sensor in the valley under the intake, I think 93-94 is on the back of the block.

Quote Originally Posted by mastertech
    95 to current has the knock sensor in the valley under the intake, I think 93-94 is on the back of the block.
    I have a 95. It's directly across from the VSS sensor. Blah, now you're confusing me! I'm starting to have doubts as to where it was on my 94... Maybe it was in the same place? I KNOW y2k models are under the intake.

okay well i must have unhooked the knock sensor while i was pulling the speed sensor out, because the knock sensor is up and to the right. I don't think i could have got the speed sensor out without unplugging the knock sensor.

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My 95's knock sensor is on the lower side of the engine right across from the trans

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by mastertech

My memory is fuzzy but I could have sworn that the knock sensor was on the outside of the block on the right hand side (rear side) of the block about mid way down the engine on the 93/94/95 Northstars.

The knock sensor was relocated to the valley under the intake manifold in 1996 and has been there ever since.....

DiamondWhite2000STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am still trying to track down a good service manual for my 2000 STS so I'm not sure HOW to change the knock sensors. The car is stalling and sometimes requires excessive cranking to start. The error code is P0385 which is the circuit B knock sensor. Seems to make sense to change both at the same time so I picked up both of them. Now I'm stalled until I figure out how to 'expose' the knock sensors.

I know it is not that difficult, but what do I need to do to get at them and switch them? Should I just wait until I find a good manual or is it fairly easy to do this?

Thanks.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondWhite2000STS
    I am still trying to track down a good service manual for my 2000 STS so I'm not sure HOW to change the knock sensors. The car is stalling and sometimes requires excessive cranking to start. The error code is P0385 which is the circuit B knock sensor. Seems to make sense to change both at the same time so I picked up both of them. Now I'm stalled until I figure out how to 'expose' the knock sensors.

I know it is not that difficult, but what do I need to do to get at them and switch them? Should I just wait until I find a good manual or is it fairly easy to do this?

Thanks.

Have you ever changed the crank sensors to the updated versions..??? If not, I would definitely replace the crank position sensors before touching the knock sensors. Unlikely that the knock sensors would cause any sort of stalling or poor performance complaints like you describe.

The 2000 crank position sensors have been documented to cause stalling, no start and other driveability problems without setting any crank sensor codes. There were quality issues from the crank sensor supplier in that generation of part which mandated a superceded part number. Get the latest sensors from the dealer and replace them first. The crank position sensors are on the side of the block/lower crankcase on the LH or front side midway down the engine above the oil filter adapter. Just R&R them. Once the car is in the air and the plastic blockout panel from the rad support to the engine cradle is removed the crank sensors can be accessed by reaching above the engine cradle crossmember. Nothing to adjust or set....just disconnect the wire connector, R&R the sensor with the one bolt that retains it and reconnect the wires. Do both of the sensors.

If you do decide the replace the knock sensors you need to lift the intake manifold up to access them. Remove the 10 perimeter bolts holding the manifold down and lift the manifold up enough to reach the sensors in the valley of the engine. All the seals are reuseable and there is no coolant in the manifold so it is really not that big a deal to lift the manifold up.

DiamondWhite2000STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you very much bbob :-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.