northstar pre-trip opinion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, northstar pre-trip opinion in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey folks please please no oil war,i just want some opinions,theres 15% oil life left and i want some thoughts ...
    eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

northstar pre-trip opinion

Hey folks
    please please no oil war,i just want some opinions,theres 15% oil life left
    and i want some thoughts on an additive before i change oil and go on a 1000
    mile round trip, choices are:

CD-2chemical 15 oz oil detergent cleaner

Restore 15 oz engine restorer and lubricant

Rislone 32 oz engine treatment

no stories,tales,or experinces, i kept i short
    maybe i will get a few replies

ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: northstar pre-trip opinion

Quote Originally Posted by eldoedwardo View Post
    no stories,tales,or experinces (sic)
    If you don't want the benefit of experience, then it's your money: Dump whatever you want into it.

(If you use a strong flashlight and look down into the oil fill hole is there anything you see that would cause you to dump some sort of solvent into the engine ???)

"opinions" - You drive a 1999 Eldorado - 4.6 Northstar - flat tappet cam followers - refill with 7.5 quarts of 10W-30 Shell Rotella, Chevron DELO, or Pennzoil LongLife, a WIX 51522 filter and let it go at that..............

"thoughts" on oil additives - Don't.

EDIT at 1500:
    Read the owner's manual. What does Cadillac say concerning oil additives ?

eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

what i meant by no stories was the times when i include some of my experiences there seems to be little or no responses
    so i thought if i try to just type nothing but the basics,id have more results,thank you for your response:
    i am using shell rottella,botsh premium filter(kneise family)report,and shell 91 oct.for about eight months now, i just
    wondered if i could treat my eldo to a better diet. i am going to put that20 oz gas treatment (we all seem to like) in the
    tank cant remember its name but i know it on sight
    thanks for the info

Chevron TECHRON.

Have a safe trip...................

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

CD-2chemical 15 oz oil detergent cleaner

Restore 15 oz engine restorer and lubricant

Rislone 32 oz engine treatment
    None of the above. Don't put any snake oil in the crankcase. It is not needed. Regular motor oil has all the additives that are needed. You are already treating it to a good diet. Enjoy the trip.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Putting in any fresh quality oil will clean as well as any of those mentioned products over the interval duration.

Pre-change flush type additives are harsh on seals & additives that claim to enhance the oil over the change interval actually only change the balance & dilute of an already very well formulated oil.

Robertsong is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Concours Deville; 1995 ElDorado ETC(sadly sold!)

Hi Sub409 - I have been reading this forum for a couple of years now, and I don't seem to remember or recall the discussion on Chevron TECHRON. Is this just a good maintenance or for some specific reason? My '94 keeps rolling right along, but if I can help it more than just those regular oil changes, what the heck! Appreciate your direction to discussion or inputs
    Robertsong

Quote Originally Posted by Robertsong View Post
    I don't seem to remember or recall the discussion on Chevron TECHRON.
    Chevron TECHRON has been beat to death in here, Seville and Deville. It usually comes up in questions concerning improper fuel gauge tank level readings (sulfur on the variable resistor) or questions concerning dumping various additives into the fuel tank to clear up any number of gremlins.

TECHRON is a detergent component of Top Tier gasoline - Google "top tier" to do some snooping. While the stuff is a powerful fuel system cleaner it is recommended for concentrated use only once in 3,000 to 5,000 miles - that's a 20 oz. jug into a 18 gallon tank. Otherwise, if you run a Top Tier fuel, there's no need to spend the extra money - it's already in the gas. For most of us, that's Chevron, Shell, Texaco, or EXXON fuels. There are other regional distributors. (.......and remember - the ethanol in E10 is a powerful detergent also.)

I'm not sure just what magic gasoline you folks are required to run in CA, so you might do some searching in the CARB sites, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.