So where is my oil level sensor?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By Submariner409
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, So where is my oil level sensor? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I performed my first oil change on the 2008 DTS today. I have about 2,000 miles on it since I ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

So where is my oil level sensor?

I performed my first oil change on the 2008 DTS today. I have about 2,000 miles on it since I bought it and I was not sure if the selling dealer put in synthetic oil and it has been bothering me. So I said what the heck and put in fresh Mobil 1. The damned dealer, like many many other places and people, seem to think that there are drain bolt and oil filter thieves out there. The drain bolt was on tighter that any drain bolt I have ever tried to remove. And the oil filter was on at least two full turns past when the gasket made contact. SOB's. Anyway, while I was cursing the tech who put the filter on, I noticed that I didn't have the oil level sensor in the front right corner of the oil pan. It seems that the bung is there but it is blanked off. If GM did away with that sensor did it put it somewhere else? Or is it gone and the low oil level warning is also history? TIA

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: So where is my oil level sensor?

???? Good question, no idea. You might try the new model Cadillac forums ^^^.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    ???? Good question, no idea. You might try the new model Cadillac forums ^^^.
    Thanks I have done that. I posted in both forums to hopefully find out what is up. The strange thing is that my GM ESI manual shows the sensor in the right front of the pan. So I am at a loss

Don

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

best place to ask this is in the new and current vehicle section of the forum

Well this is disturbing. I checked the owners manual for what warnings are available. The "oil level low" warning is not listed. So not only did Cadillac kill off the very nice and needed brake pad wear sensors but they also killed off the oil level sensor. This sucks.

Don

wow how come they would kill off things like that that could make them more money dont them morones know that the break wear sensor problaby made them an extra million a year in parts replacment lol

Cost cutting at its finest.

Don

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I see no mention or picture of an oil level sensor in the compnine diagrams of an '08 engine. Why do they do away with useful things like that and keep dual zone HVAC in a 5X10 cabin.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I see no mention or picture of an oil level sensor in the compnine diagrams of an '08 engine. Why do they do away with useful things like that and keep dual zone HVAC in a 5X10 cabin, or rainsense. Like I don't know when to turn on the wipers and how much delay "I want". Just to name a few useless (in my opinion) features that they could gave done away with before the oil level sensor.

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I see no mention or picture of an oil level sensor in the compnine diagrams of an '08 engine. Why do they do away with useful things like that and keep dual zone HVAC in a 5X10 cabin, or rainsense. Like I don't know when to turn on the wipers and how much delay "I want". Just to name a few useless (in my opinion) features that they could gave done away with before the oil level sensor.
    I am now on my second 2006 DTS and now have the Rainsense wipers and they are annoying and I have the high beam auto dimmer which works about as well as it did in my 1992 Town Car which would shut the high beams off at any reflective surface.

From what I've read through owner manuals It looks like 2007+ FWD Lucerne/DTS N* equipped vehicles no longer warn if the oil is low. The 3800/3900 powered Lucerne does retain the oil level sensor.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

"So, where is............" It's under the hood, sort of behind the radiator on the driver's side - it has a yellow pull ring. You use it weekly, right along with all the other preventive maintenance checks you normally perform.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Don't get me started......
    My 04 CTS DOESN'T have an oil level sensor.......you have to use the "audible" alert.....the valvetrain makes a LOT of noise when you are low on oil......Cadillac is selling a "luxury" car to people who wear suits, and they expect them to get under the hood to check the oil with each fill-up.....YGTBSM!!!

My 04 CTS isn't half the car my 97 STS was. Even the headrests are now made of plastic instead of leather, and the seats don't compare (lake of lumbar adjustment....much "harder"). My 04 TRUCK (Yukon XL Denali) was nearly the same price, and ironically, MUCH more "luxurious"

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    "So, where is............" It's under the hood, sort of behind the radiator on the driver's side - it has a yellow pull ring. You use it weekly, right along with all the other preventive maintenance checks you normally perform.
    lmao funny

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.