proper torque-to-yield on 99 sts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, proper torque-to-yield on 99 sts in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am at the point of tightening my head-bolts, and the FSM says tighten to 30 lbs/ft on first pass, ...
    knon2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 2005 STS

proper torque-to-yield on 99 sts

I am at the point of tightening my head-bolts, and the FSM says tighten to 30 lbs/ft on first pass, second pass -70 degrees, third pass also 70, with final pass at 60 degrees for a total of 200 degrees.
    This is not what I have seen listed in several threads? Which method should I use?
    I also seem to remember something being mentioned about the timing method listed in the FSM not being correct. I can't for the life of me find that thread back, is
    there anything to that? The shop manual seems pretty dang detailed to be incorrect, but, hey, we are all human.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

Re: proper torque-to-yield on 99 sts

are you useing studs and nuts or stock head bolts??

felpro "stock" head bolts, sorry, didn't think to mention what I was using.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldorado esc/2000 deville Y(THE GREY GOOSE)

You're using stock head bolts? WOW?!

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by knon2000 View Post
    I am at the point of tightening my head-bolts, and the FSM says tighten to 30 lbs/ft on first pass, second pass -70 degrees, third pass also 70, with final pass at 60 degrees for a total of 200 degrees.
    This is not what I have seen listed in several threads? Which method should I use?
    I also seem to remember something being mentioned about the timing method listed in the FSM not being correct. I can't for the life of me find that thread back, is
    there anything to that? The shop manual seems pretty dang detailed to be incorrect, but, hey, we are all human.
    Thanks
    IIRC, all of the talk about incorrect timing methods in the manual pertain to the 3.6 liter V6....the engine actually has different colored links in the chain instead of timing "marks"......the only strange thing about the N* timing is that if you rotate the crank 720 degrees, the crank mark will NOT line up with the mark on the intermediate sprocket.

Bad call on the Headbolts IMO. If you're sticking with bolts, you should only do so with "Norm's" inserts....and if you use the bolts, you should be using the factory ones......I've heard of problems with aftermarket bolts......

I think there was a TSB that went out about the procedure......and the new procedure puts even more stress on the bolts in an attempt to get a little more clamping force.....but with more failures during installation....

I made my own inserts. Much better than Norm inserts, at least in my opinion. I don't know that factory bolts would be better than felpro, and considering Jake's well known quality control issues, I really don't feel the least bit worried about using a company with a felpro's quality record.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Absolutely nothing wrong with either GM stock or any of several name brand aftermarket head bolts. If it's not gong to Daytona or Talleadega there's no need to go with something like top-drawer ARP.

The timing chain setup is in a diagram in one of my two red Seville albums up in Community, Albums.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

I made my own inserts. Much better than Norm inserts, at least in my opinion. I don't know that factory bolts would be better than felpro, and considering Jake's well known quality control issues, I really don't feel the least bit worried about using a company with a felpro's quality record.
    Better than Norm's? in what way? are they longer? bigger?

They are longer. I also included the locating dowel on the inserts.
    Made it really easy to remove by just drilling them out using the inserted fixture
    that I built.
    Really helps that I am a machinist with access to the materials that are needed.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

if no one answers you on the torque spec. I will when I get it from my FSM when I get home from work

No problem on the torque spec. I was just questioning it since I thought I remember reading a thread where someone was recommending lower starting torque and yeild angles.
    I already have the FSM, thanks anyway.
    Kevin

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

longer is nice but how do you know how much material is at bottom of threaded hole? do you have a block diagram from GM? seen a few comments on cracked blocks due to using oversize thread inserts. sure there is a limit on thread diameter and thread depth. so you might say your inserts are better since they are a "little" longer.

97EldoCoupe is offline Owner of Northstar Performance
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

and considering Jake's well known quality control issues.
    I will take note of this comment for future reference.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I used Norm's - before Jake's time - and FelPro bolts - snapped 1 bolt on install. Removed all 10 on that (R) bank, removed the broken remains, Rock Auto sent me a complete new set no charge. All of Norm's inserts were still fine, including the one in the problem hole. No issues the second time around or with the L bank - I think it was a fluke.

I used the 30/70/70/60 procedure.

P.S.: For you guys that know/remember me, Numb Nuts is still driving the car...with no more DUI incidents lately!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.