K&N Filter On Caddy? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, K&N Filter On Caddy? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have also heard that the oil can come off, and mess up oxygen sensors, MAFS, and other systems like ...
    elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I have also heard that the oil can come off, and mess up oxygen sensors, MAFS, and other systems like that.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I don't think it should be THAT well oiled

that is just what i heard......

I've heard that too but just pass it off as urban ledgend

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    well, it looks like spending $50 for the filter is not worth it!

I wouldnt think that cadillac would put in a filter that had that much restriction.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    OK guys, I use K&N filters all the time. I run them in everything! They don't hurt anything!! Do they flow better? Maybe, I think so. Do they work good? Yes! Better than Stock I.M.H.O. If you oil them too much ( and MOST people DO! ) They'll lose the excess oil into the intake and it will burn! That process doesn't take very long! When you spray the oil onto the filter you just need to use enough to put a slight film on the filter...If it's pink you put on to much! If it starts to get reddish you've put on WAY too much! A little oil goes a long way. If you want to find out spill some! A table spoon full on your work bench can make a hell of a mess if you don't clean up immediately! I won't run my cars on ANY filter except a K&N! I also run K&N oil filters and recommend them to my customers. I.M.H.O. They're the finest filters on the market!

One more thing..Cadillac, Like any other manufacturer buys the least expensive filters they can buy! They just happen to be wearing the AC Delco brand name! You don't really know for sure what manufacturer made them. With K&N...I Know exactly who made them!

I dont know, ill probably end up getting some sort of filter, like a KN.

KC, how often do you take it off and oil it?

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Regular service intervals...You clean it with K&N cleaner ( NOT DISH SOAP ) rinse it out with water, Shake off the excess ( DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR ) let it sit and dry in the sun or ( If you're not in California or Florida ) the house near a source of dry warmth, Then oil it lightly ( Use K&N spray oil if you can it goes on more evenly! ) Then reinstall it and you're done.

sounds easy enough

tis very easy.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Originally posted by elwesso
    I wouldnt think that cadillac would put in a filter that had that much restriction.
    Cadillac puts in a safe filter with sufficient flow. The filter works with the rest of the system. The "public" says the manufacturer gets cheap on the design to save money. The entire truth is that much time and money is put into the design and the end selection (in this case, filter) is one that provides the correct level of performance. Sure, they're going to chose the least expensive product that will satisfy the requirements, but the AC filter satisfies the design requirements! It's cheaper over the long long run to have a cleanable filter because you don't ever have to replace it. If a filter like K&N's filter had performance that was satisfactory to Cadillac, they'd have used it and claimed no filter replacements for the life of the vehicle, and lowered the operating cost. This is what they did with the spark plugs. Northstars are equipped with dual platinum plugs which are good, essentially, for the life of the vehicle. It's beneficial to install these because the operating cost over many miles goes down. If the K&N was sufficient, Cadillac would have used it.

It's common knowledge that a filter with greater flow will offer less filtration. People on this board say, "well sure, that makes sense." 'Scuse me, did I miss something? You're knowingly putting on a filter with less filtration to gain what, 3...4 horsepower tops? Are you kidding me? K&N's own literature says that dirt helps filter the air better...that's because there isn't enough filtration by itself! They're saying that when you install a clean filter, some dirt will get by until enough dirt builds up to increase the filtration. Gimme a break!

Think of it this way: it's IMPOSSIBLE to over-oil a paper filter (because you don't have to oil it). It's IMPOSSIBLE to get insufficient filtration with a paper filter (unless damaged) because this is what the factory specified for this application.

Do some testing on your own, to see if it's really worth it for you. Install a vacuum gauge in the inlet tube after the air filter. This will measure the vacuum, if any, in the intake tube. Vacuum will only be present if the engine is trying to suck more air through that tube than the filter can provide. I'll bet you a K&N filter that you won't show any vacuum on that gauge for 95% of the time. Possibly, at WOT at redline, your paper filter might show some restriction, but for the vast majority of times, you won't see any gain with a K&N (on a Northstar Caddy).

Performance is largely perception, and if you're going for that K&N growl, that's what you'll get. If you were to actually run track times, I doubt you'll see much benefit. And if any benefit you do see is worth compromising the cleanliness of your engine, then go for it. I personally don't take that risk, but that's my opinion. Everyone is certainly entitled to theirs.

are you seeing more blown engines because of the more intrusion of minute particulate matter with the use of a K&N? even if it makes it to your oil your oil still cleans out more carp from the comustion process.

the K&N will compliment other mods to your engine. so the more you start will the more you'll benefit from a filter like that. and in racing ever lil bit helps. that hundreth of a second on a 1/4 mile may mean win or loose.

But, most people dont race cadillacs. I think jason is talking about street car purposes. A KN may provide better performance in racing, but little or none in street cars.

exactly Im not trying to say every one must have one. but every little bit helps

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.