Out the top! First time....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Out the top! First time.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Im working on my black 97. I wanted to leave everything else untouched, so decided to join the dark side ...
    ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

Out the top! First time....

Im working on my black 97. I wanted to leave everything else untouched, so decided to join the dark side and give her a try out the top. So im almost ready. Harness is a PITA under the brake booster, but its all off and hanging on the side of the car, i disconnected most of what wasnt attached to the engine itself.

Everything else so far has been pretty slick except for a minor exhaust hang up. I have the last bellhousing bolt to do, and the bracket above it and its all apart. They dont look easy to get at at all..... Im looking for a couple pointers for the next one; like whether to take the whole harness off, or just the front, or just the back? Seems leaving the harness attached to the car and just get everything off the engine is easiest.

I may do the other black 97 next, and ill be posting pics of that process. Man its a lot easier having a hoist.....
    amunderdog and amunderdog like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Call me 5092051255

-------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Northstar powered phone

Re: Out the top! First time....

shes out. Couple things I will change for next time... remove the alternator and A/C compressor first.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Woohoo! Congrats! \o/!

-------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Northstar powered phone

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Now THAT is some impressive work!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Looks good man.

Have you dropped it out of the bottom before?

I'd like to hear some input from someone who has done it both ways. All of the engine pulling I've done has been out the top. I don't have a lift, and it seems easiest to me given the equipment I have. I've never done a N*, but frankly, pulling other FWD's out the top really haven't been a big deal. I find it hard to believe that, in comparison to dropping out the bottom, pulling out the top is as bad as some make it sound.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Congratulations!!! To me that's the easiest way to go.

The pull a parts around here must have some northstar "out the top experts". Every single one I've ever looked at came out the top and looked like your pictures.

Good luck with the repair.

I did 2 others out the bottom this week, before this one. One was a swap. Id say they are comparable to how easy each way is. Its AFTER the swap where you can run into trouble. Brake lines... allignment etc... Out the top leaves no other work to be done. Im doing them ALL this way if i dont have too many issues putting the other engine in. Getting all those brackets back on may prove to be.... tedious.

quick question.

Ive been looking at them: the front engine mount, and the passenger side mount. Are they the same on pre-98 cars? The front on this one is broken, (and all the other ones i have), but the side mounts are all good. They LOOK the same.....

TThe mounts arent the same, close but no.

Anyhow, spent the last week moving and packing my house... and moving... in 32 degrees sun in a diesel Z71 with no A/C

So i took a break today, picked my other engine up off the floor, and got this far:

Shes in and flush, popped in the upper 2 bellhousing bolts, propped my little jack underneath and called it a day.

Wasnt so bad at all, coulda done it a LOT quicker if i'd realised there was a bracket on the back of the block (firewall side) that had its twin still bolted to the trans. They didnt like each other. Oops.

took it out for a test run and washed it today. Runs a bit off, lots of low end power but doesnt like high RPM. Some things to look at i guess. I didnt use the intake originaly on that engine. Otherwise everything is solid. Even my "rigged" broken front engine mount is solid. (I'll get into that later).

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboyt View Post
    took it out for a test run and washed it today. Runs a bit off, lots of low end power but doesnt like high RPM. Some things to look at i guess. I didnt use the intake originaly on that engine. Otherwise everything is solid. Even my "rigged" broken front engine mount is solid. (I'll get into that later).
    Did you pull off the valve covers? It's kind of a "weird" quirk......that I learned the hard way on a flat tappet vette engine, but a "worn" cam will actually give you MORE power at low RPMs (lower lift, lower duration) than a "good" cam. I think there is a good chance (especially on a 97 model motor) that you have a couple bad cam lobes.

Also, are you sure it's a Vin9 motor? Not a big deal if it isn't, you only need to swap out the intake cams with your old motor, and it's a Vin 9 motor again.

its a vin 9, manufactured November 2001. Around 110,000 km's on this engine. Its burning oil, more than normal. Smokes blue on startup if it was a hard start. Some times smokes randomly while sitting there idling. Had this problem in the car it used to be in. Im wondering about the emissions parts, evap etc.... i dabble in it here and there.... too many cars on the go right now.

ThumperPup is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    Congratulations!!! To me that's the easiest way to go.

The pull a parts around here must have some northstar "out the top experts". Every single one I've ever looked at came out the top and looked like your pictures.

Good luck with the repair.
    chances are they don't care what els they damage in the process they just take it out the top cause they don't want to have to pull out exuipment or move the car from where they sit
    atleast i very rearly ever see a bone yard that does not just cut stuff up to get things out and don't care what they damage they just want the part out fast atleast the techs do and then they don't ever get in trouble when another good part cant be used they just say it was not good to begin with

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

i did not inspect my cam lobes for wear when i had my heads off. chased a miss for 2yrs and its finally gone now with different plug wires. did not have intermediate chain tensioner off so did not inspect it for guide wear. am pretty sure my motor is timed right. but still cannot spin the tires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.