Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone need a Stud Kit?

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  maeng9981 
#1 ·
If anyone could use a Northstar Performance stud kit for a 00-05 N* send me a PM and we can discuss the details. I no longer have any use for the kit after I decided to pull the plug on HG project due to a cracked block.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
When I was searching for a replacement engine I ran across an 04 Deville that was too good of a deal to pass up. 86K on the clock for $5,000 so after a through inspection and many WOT's and a block test I decided to cut my losses on the 2000 and pull the trigger on the 2004. The 2000 is sitting in my driveway until I decide what to do with her. She only has 89K on the clock and a perfect body... rust free southern car.... had her since she had 2,900 miles on her. It's a joke what the recyclers will give you for one so I'll either hold onto her for parts or find someone that wants to drop a new engine in her. Below is a pic of the 2000 she's riding a little high in the front because half the engine is in the trunk.

The crack that killed her...

#4 ·
yeah i know how much the salvage yard will give you
im betting that they offered you 450 - 500 ?
if the engine was good they probalby would have bumped it to 550 or 600 LOL

so are they all base models or DHS i am asuming from the hood ornament and grill that the 2000 is either base or DHS no way DTS unless you changed a few things

#6 ·
yeah they would make that back on the transmision alone
then they would probalby make another 6 x's that on the body parts alone shoot when i was looking for a hood they wanted 400 for a great one lol
doors they make you know 300 a peace of of in great shape from southern cars then the interior is a hole other story you knwo they would have made about 5000-7000 atleast on those parts

#8 ·
that sounds about right

i was looking at this one hood it was in great shape not a spot on it they wanted 400 for it
from a 03 seville

if that was the most exspensive thing they could get for the car wich is wasnt then i can only imagine what els they could get for all the other parts lol

decided against it i found a shop that friend recomended they said with the color match they would gurantee with a 3 stage paint job
375 plus taxes so im doing that

#11 ·
That's a shame, sorry to hear that... but glad you found a newer car to replace it!

Do you think that crack is the reason you had the sudden overheat/gasket failure?
It's hard say how or when exactly the crack happened... so I'd rather not speculate on something that I'm not 100% certain on. It extends from the top to the bottom of the hole into the water jacket. In my search for a "new" engine with an unknown history to put in the car I ran across the 04 that was priced too well to pass up that's when the project that turned south took a new direction. I'm liking the 04 so far... haven't found any major issues... just a few minor ones that I'm addressing to bring the car up to my standards. I've been told I'm quite anal... LOL

#12 ·
If you can wait approx. 1-2 weeks I can offer a full refund less $50 for my shipping costs- $499 refunded- if you can mail it to

Northstar Performance
P.O. Box 2755
Altona, MB
R0G 0B0

Cash is a bit tight right now but after a couple vehicles are back in their owners hands I can do this. I know it's worthless having a stud kit laying around with no car to install it into. I want to be fair to people so if this refund would be ok, go ahead and send it on back.

I have never seen a block crack like that. Any ideas? The studs are still packaged so it didn't happen during installation right?

#13 ·
I'll take you up on that Jake if I can't find another CF member that needs a 00+ stud kit in the next couple of weeks. That way you won't have to deal with the refund and I won't have to deal with customs. So if any CF board member in the US needs a kit I'll let you have it for $499 with free UPS ground shipping.

#18 · (Edited)
Hi if he doesn't buy it I am definitely interested.

edit: looks like since I am new here I can't PM. I just bought an 01 Deville DTS with blown head gasket / oil leaks, so I just joined the forum. I can paypal $500, one request -- USPS priority mail is much faster and flat rate box is only ~$10, or small flat box / env even cheaper $5 if it fits.

#27 ·
I will definitely let you know how it goes once it's done, but it will take at least 2 weeks for the machine shop to do the rebuild though. Most people say you can just reseal up the motor and it's good to go, but I see quite a bit of blowby at 134K miles, so I figure while the motor's already out I might as well do the whole job. Thanks Marty!

#28 ·
Wow, that is no fun. I am suspecting that you found it through a visual inspection or some other way? Why can't the crack be stitched. Somebody sent a link a little while ago about the entire aluminum stitching process, and it looked really promising. They drill the crack, drive an appropriately sized aluminum slug inside with some kind screwing action and then grind off the top, and smooth the top with an air needler.

#29 ·
i found 2 shops that where willing to try and repair my block
they said there was a 9 out of 10 chance in there experinece when they go to weld the block it will spider out even larger
so repairing a block is not always the greatest idea
unless its at the bottom and it could possibly be done without having to take the engine and see if it does work but they said if the engine has to come out its not worth it better to get a used block if a new one can't be found

#31 · (Edited)
Sorry it took so long to get back to you I've been on vacation this week. The studs are new and unused... a couple of holes had been drilled and tapped before the crack in the block was discovered. Below is a picture of the kit as it was shipped to you over 2 months ago. In the email you sent me you said... "my machine shop says that most of the studs more or less are bent at where the threads go into the block." I don't see how most of the studs could be bent? Did the machine shop possibly not drill the block straight and are blaming the studs? If this is this case this is addressed in the installation instructions. I would contact Jake for advice on how to proceed.

#32 ·
It is possible to have one or more studs that are mis-aligned after installation. This is mentioned in the installer's manual. I had one stud that was slightly out of alignment. This was preventing the new gaskets to slip in but I put a little and gentle force with hand on that stud to slip in the gasket. Used rubber mallet gently on the 4 corners to put the head in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.