Message to all stud kit customers, past, present, and future. - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Message to all stud kit customers, past, present, and future. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; It will be soon. I have the thread rolls (for rolled threads) and here's the good news: UPDATE: 07/23/2011 I ...
    97EldoCoupe is online now U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 99 Deville, 04 GXP, 06 DTS, 05 SRX, 2010 Sierra SLT

Re: Message to all stud kit customers, past, present, and future.

It will be soon. I have the thread rolls (for rolled threads) and here's the good news:

UPDATE: 07/23/2011

I have purchased a CNC Turning Center to produce all of the parts of the stud kit. This is a Miyano CNC machine with a 34mm spindle capacity. This combined with my thread rolling set-up, I will be able to produce one set of studs per hour, on-site, in the shop. This machine is equipped with an automatic barfeeder. Any possible part required, any stud, any bolt, any bushing, I can produce with accuracy of .0001". Four decimal places.

My supplier with whom I've done business with since I started this business, has not addressed my quality control concerns even though I have given them ample time, even offered to pay more money for my parts. The reason I have continued to do business with them is 1) They are GOOD people. Best customer service I have ever dealt with, family owned company. 2) They are one of the few who would produce the studs at a cost that made it feasible to sell in kit form to shops and do-it-yourselfers. They have improved certain things over the course of my dealings with them, switched to rolled threads from cut threads, improved their heat-treat process, but I simply cannot afford it anymore to sort through all of the parts and throw 25% out because they don't meet my quality control standards.

I regret to end my business relationship with them but for the price I am paying for the studs, they can have someone in quality control paying more attention.

I have a back up supplier in the USA that produces EXCELLENT quality studs- can't ask for any better- but they hurt me badly when they were 3 weeks behind with an order. That caused big problems- financial problems- and I could not supply the shops at the time who were relying on my company for parts.

I have plenty of stock right now and the machine to be delivered within 2 weeks, and that USA supplier standing by for backup. They are running 2000 pieces for me right now just to ensure that there will be no parts shortages.

Nothing beats in-house production- or in-house quality control at point-of-production. This machine is gently used, and was until now, producing suspension components (bushings & bolts, etc.) for the military Hummers.

This is the machine that will be producing studs and bolts for the rest of the engine as well- bottom end main studs, harmonic balancer bolts, exhaust studs, etc. All the hard to find parts or too expensive to purchase elsewhere.

I didn't want to fire my supplier but I've given them more than ample time to get their act together and produce flawless parts. I don't like sorting through 100 parts and throwing 25 into the "no-go" junk bin. When I raised the quality control concerns all I ever heard was, "We will take care of it" or "must have happened during shipping".

I owe them over $20k still outstanding because of all of this nonsense. I appreciate all they've helped me with, but it was either make this decision or go out of business. I will repay my debt to them but purchasing this machine was necessary so I can pay them what I owe.

That CNC machine is capable of running 24 hours per day and it will do so until I have 100 sets of studs on the shelf as a reserve. There will be no more supplier issues.

Just to go a bit further in depth here, I have been re-machining a lot of parts they have sent me. I have spent days on my manual lathe just correcting their work. Theads on a bolt are not supposed to be tapered- that's for NPT threads not UNC/UNF. Those days spent on the lathe should have been spent under the hood of a customer's car or taking care of customers via phone/email.

I hope this is a step forward and hope this will allow me to better serve my customers. The lathe is CNC and does not need human intervention once the "Run" button is pressed- except to feed more bar-stock into the machine.

Quality is very important to me, but please understand everyone, when banks don't want to lend you money, when VISA and your hard work is the source of funding, nothing can be accomplished overnight. That CNC machine is what I have needed all along.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Ternstes- There will be standard size and oversize available - oversize just for those holes that have stripped. How long is "too long of a wait"? - I can produce a set on the manual lathe any time, this will be the first "prototype" set for the bottom end, but don't worry it will not give you any problems, guaranteed-

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Jake, you are awesome and I do not want to inconvenience you in any way, but I could use your main studs today! I am itching to get my 2000 STS running! I drove my friend's 97 STS the other day that we fixed with your studs and just loved it. My main threads are all okay, I just do not trust any of the old bolts now. What kind of pricing are you thinking?

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Jake you might as well fire up the machines to make a lower end stud kit pronto. It's either studs on the bottom also or going to get new bolts. Either way reusing the old bolts is asking for trouble.....

By tomorrow night or Tuesday morning I will have a ship date ready with pricing available. The studs will be produced from quality steel and will not snap like the factory originals (and at such low torque too!). I don't know where GM had their bottom end bolts produced.....

Thanks, Jake. I agree with you on these bolts. It was the easiest bolt I have ever drilled through to turn out.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

btw, when one or two main bolts snap we usually just replace the individual ones but if more snap then we usually replace them all for good measure

at least that's what our main N* guru in the shop usually does
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Jake,

Any updates on your main stud availability and pricing?

Give me until tomorrow morning. Have a bit more design work to finish up on that kit. Est. Pricing is $155.00 at present time for the bottom end studs, nuts, and washers. When you're only dealing with one diameter it sure simplifies the machining process. Keep in mind that if an oversized thread repair bottom end kit is released, the cost will need to be higher.

3542310 is the part number for the 19 regular bolts.
    3542311 is the part number for the bolt with the stud for the oil pickup tube/screen.

Approx. cost at a GM dealer in the USA (Chris @ Rippy would have a more accurate price for forum members) is $54.80 for all of the bolts. Using studs instead of bolts would have some advantages-

1) the stud threads would be fully engaged in the block before any torque process begins
    2) disassembly would not require stud removal (just the nuts)
    3) again- no offense to GM or their bolt suppliers- but the bolts should never snap as easy as they do. I would make sure that a better quality steel and correct temper is used.

This estimated pricing applies only to the first product testers. It may go up or down depending on material and maching costs.

I have to do some testing to ensure the stud nuts and washers will seal against the windage tray and not allow any oil pressure to flow past.

Another things to ensure is proper and adequate clearance from the oil pan baffle. I cannot use nuts that are too long so a custom nut may be required. Flange nuts may do a wonderful job.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress of this. If it goes well, studding the bottom end may become a standard thing we do on the Northstars, on the reseal jobs and the remanufactured engines (still debating on the future of that). Nothing worse than torquing that last main bolt and either the bolt snaps or the threads strip out. Nobody wants to disassemble again just to repair one bolt hole/replace a bolt. Then you're messing around again with the bolts you already had tight- I think you get the idea-

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Jake, I've yet to hear from you on a quote for a replacement engine. Been like 3 weeks or so lol

Jake,
    do you want my credit card now or tomorrow? I am onboard with being a tester!

The bottom end stud kit is currently in development. I should have photos tonight as far as I know.

I'm back. Never really left but some I guess were wondering where I had gone. It's been hectic doing head gasket replacement jobs 24/7- time to catch up on all of my responsibilities-

The CNC turning center is now set up in the shop, bar feeder is next. Rewired the back of my shop for the two lathes, compressor, 25HP phase converter..... Should have it up and running in a couple of days.

Hopefully Jim (Submariner409) has been holding up ok with hurricane Irene and everyone else on the eastern seaboard- wish all of you in that area the best of luck and hope nobody gets injured or suffers damage to houses, Cadillacs, etc....

I'll post pics of the machine soon, a bit more wiring and I should be able to fire the unit up. I transported it back from Ontario personally behind the Sierra (that much invested I'd rather have my eyes on it at all times) and the GMC half-ton seemed to do ok pulling 9600 lbs. Had a trailer tire blow out, but luckily had a spare. The 5.3 is a bit underpowered for a load that heavy on long, steep hills, but it maintained speed most on most grades. Only once the temp guage started to climb (engine) and the trans held a constant temperature for the most part and never spiked past 220 degrees (any hotter would have started to make me nervous).

I wish I would have had this machine over two years ago. I've needed it for so long-

Barbara Babb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 DeVille (00 Tracker 4x4 & 1 owner 86 Nissan Pickup 720)

Now I understand. Sir, I have been reading what others have posted regarding your repairs and I am convinced your shop is the place my overheating Caddy needs to visit.

Any word on how long until ND is up and running, or do I still need to plan to deliver to Canada?

I would love to get my car repaired, but I have two other non-Caddy vehicles to use for transportation, so my schedule is flexible as far as when I can bring it and while I "want" my car fixed, it is not anything pressing for me to require dropping everything to do so at this time.

I cannot bring early if it must go to Canada. Recently transferred to my name means because the state of Minnesota shut down for several weeks in July, that it is still up to 5 weeks until I will receive my title to allow me to cross the border with it. My passport renewal will be in the works by the end of the week.

When you have a moment, let me know what is best, but not to the detriment of your health.

I am a retired US Navy Fleet Diesel Inspector and know the value of a job done correctly versus doing it to get it done. I can wait six months, if needed, but not being any good at being a machinist I figure it is best to let those expert at it do that.

Just let me know if/when ND shop can perform removal and bolt/seal to car or when it is best to send to you in Canada. Bear in mind, I cannot deliver once snows start flying because I will be towing on U-Haul trailer.

As I said, though. Your health comes first, my car can wait until everything is set, just let me know approx when that may be so I can plan to deliver then.

Respectfully

Barbara

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Hey Jake. Unsure if you've gotten my emails, but I have a couple questions regarding final payment and shipping. Email me when you get a chance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.