Message to all stud kit customers, past, present, and future. - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Message to all stud kit customers, past, present, and future. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Estate/WA/City/Richland/ListingId/16868517.html http://looplink.natl.remax.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=remax&LID=15937502&LL=true&PinPr ofile=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=&RentPer=P Y&SRID=1766375957 http://www.skrealtors.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=172939&PRM_MlsName=TCAR MLS...
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Re: Message to all stud kit customers, past, present, and future.

Nice.

FL is a very tempting state. WA is another one with no state income tax. Gotta move to a place worthwhile. I'll have it figured out very soon. I think I may be renting a shop in Pembina, ND that will suffice for a little while until I have a state selected.

Here is why it's the USA or nothing.

$207 to express ship a kit from Canada. Reason for express shipment? I had this message when I logged into my UPS account:

Richmond, VA, United States 06/02/2011 1:23 Merchandise is missing UPS will notify the sender with additional details / All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage
    Now. I value everything below the actual cost to produce, just to get these kits across the border hassle free. So to file a claim with UPS on a stud kit worth $500, I have to claim the amount declared on the paperwork. So if UPS loses a package, I get less than $200 back after a butt-load of paperwork and headaches. If I claim the original sale amount for insurance purposes, everything gets checked at customs as a high value shipment and duties, taxes, brokerage fees, all get charged on top. My customers cannot stand incurring these charges. I can opt to pay them, but costs go up.

If I set up a shipping location in the USA, shipping will be cheaper, faster, half of the U.S. made goods won't even have to cross a border, I can declare original value to UPS, and I may have to charge customers in the USA tax from that point on like I do in Canada, but at a much lower sales tax rate, + it will benefit the USA's economy.

I've shipped out too many kits at a loss lately, the above shipment was one of them.

And yes, I've considered Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex express/overnight rates are actually worse

I have an account with them, may have to try them again. 6 lost packages since the beginning of the year.

The Tri-Cities here is cheeeeap and lots of land to build your own place, lots of land..

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as far as I understand it, you don't have to charge tax if it's getting shipped out of state... so only people in ND will have to pay ND sales tax
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Sales tax would only be charged if it is shipped "in state" or to a state that your company has a physical presence in (store, office, warehouse).

That's straightforward and simple. So if I base my company in a state where most of my business is going to be sent out of state, that will cut down on costs to customers and paperwork. I've only sold about 2-3 kits to ND to date. ND is actually the least populous state in the USA (maybe for a reason).

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    So if I base my company in a state where most of my business is going to be sent out of state, that will cut down on costs to customers and paperwork.
    Correct... you can read more on sales tax rules below. Technically the purchaser is supposed to pay sales or use tax for out of state online purchases... this is normally done on the yearly state tax return... since there is no way for the states to easily track these purchases... It's up to the consumer to self report. I would be surprised if the self-reported collection rate was higher than 2%.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...net-29919.html

tigers2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville

Jake why don't you look into hiring some sort of broker or even parts distributor to stock your items in the USA. Then you can fill a U-Haul with them, make formal entry with US Customs, and have them legally sitting in a secure insured warehouse location here in the USA. I deal with international shipping everyday and I don't understand why you have so much trouble with Canada-to-USA shipments; especially UPS-Express!! They should be wiping your butt!

Hell, I've received items from Hong Kong OVERNITE un-adulterated several times. A buddy of mine used to keep a large inventory of expensive devices at a FedEx warehouse at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. Even though his company and warehouses are here in Michigan, if I customer wanted something overnight or even same day, FedEx would open his cage up at their ATL based warehouse, slap a label on it, and it would be on an airplane within an hour. Never had a problem. That example is quite extreme and pricey but is still waaaaay cheaper than what you're paying now. It is perfectly legal for you to own a company here in the US. Do you have an family here legally in the US that you can pay a few bucks to slap shipping labels on pre-packaged inventory kits? Just keep a supply at their house. Just remember to make proper formal entry when you're bringing that stuff into the USA. If US Customs detects shenannigans, they seize everything and make you pay outrageous fines. Same goes for shipping stuff back to Canada.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

In a similar vein, I have been dealing with Bryston Canada (high end stereo) through Vermont for 17 years, and never a hitch - large boxes go and come unopened - just a customs sticker on the outside.

..............and Jake and I conducted some car/engine parts exchange business a year ago, and there were no problems either way then, either.

totpkg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

And yes, I've considered Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex express/overnight rates are actually worse

I have an account with them, may have to try them again. 6 lost packages since the beginning of the year.

Try contacting Fedex and request to speak to an account rep ... I know for a fact that they used to provide a discounted
    shipping structure, based on volume (or even projected volume). Might be worth a try ...

PS: I too will be needing a stud kit soon (or getting a divorce, wife hates dirving my truck). I had sent an e-mail concerning
    local shops or southeastern shops which would do the stud repair for my 2001 ... suggestions?

chp350 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 srx 1997 etc 1993 allante 1970 coupe deville 1979 t/a

I have two states in mind that seem to really have potential, TX and FL. MI and NY are the next two so far on my thoughts list. But NC wouldn't be a bad choice at all....

35 miles of the Florida border in Georgia, I have a place I can rent to you.
    I'm the guy that talked to you about the 5 sts that I own all needing your studs

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have family in West Texas but I'd like to keep them as family. Work with certain friends/family and there can be problems. I offered my cousin a position in this and told him I'd fund a shop in Texas but he'd prefer not to. He just sold his cotton farm recently, don't know what he has planned-

I have rented a shop now in Grand Forks, North Dakota. I will post the physical address soon. While I cannot work there until I get the proper paperwork (law firm dealing with that right now), I can still have someone in Grand Forks handle packaging and stuff. T1-High speed internet connection, well insulated, plenty of room to work on engines when the time comes, etc.

It's all falling into place- one step at a time.

Grand Forks may not be the final destination, but in the mean time, it will serve its purpose. This is a very hard work week for me, I had a car come in from the state of FL with severe fire damage so I'll be changing a lot of parts. Even the rear coil pack is molten pretty bad.

UPS can be ok sometimes, but when they try to deliver a package marked destination "FLORIDA" to an address in WINNIPEG, MANITOBA (on a computer printed label) - it makes you wonder how dumb can they be?

T-1 i think is 1.5mbps up/1.5mbps down, its a backbone connection, expensive hardware, but definately the way to go for a business. the upload is what's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 97eldocoupe View Post

ups can be ok sometimes, but when they try to deliver a package marked destination "florida" to an address in winnipeg, manitoba (on a computer printed label) - it makes you wonder how dumb can they be?
    ups=oops

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.