Northstar removal guide - feedback wanted
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 4 Post By vincentm
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar removal guide - feedback wanted in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Slapped this together these past few days, wanting some feedback as to how it can be improved. Main point of ...
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Northstar removal guide - feedback wanted

Slapped this together these past few days, wanting some feedback as to how it can be improved. Main point of this is for avoiding having to flip through multiple chapters/books in the FSM and/or links in the AllData.
    Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: Northstar removal guide - feedback wanted

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Slapped this together these past few days, wanting some feedback as to how it can be improved. Main point of this is for avoiding having to flip through multiple chapters/books in the FSM and/or links in the AllData.
    My honest first impression is that the directions would be a lot shorter if they were for dropping the cradle.

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Looks very thorough but I agree with Tateos. I did my engine (00 DHS) and I think you are going to find it very difficult to get to a lot of the parts you are disconnecting with the engine in the engine bay. There is a good reason why the vast majority of people here drop the cradle. Also, it is much easier to disconnect many of these pieces with the cradle out. Also, it is a good time to check out all the systems associated with the cradle. I would seriously have to wonder how easy it will be to separate the engine from the tranny that way, it was a bear even with the cradle out due to corrosion of the locator dowels between the engine and trans and I would be nervous about aligning the engine to the trans without damaging the pump drive shaft coming out of the torque converter. If you do take it out the top try to take lots of pictures for those that follow. Personally, if I ever have to do it again I will again drop the cradle. Dropping the cradle is more intimidating to think about than it really is.

I wrote up a procedure for making sure your timing will be correct although some think it is not a big deal. It is in tech tips, the link is below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-when-you.html

Good luck whichever way you do it and keep us posted.

Jim

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by jimsbox View Post
    Looks very thorough but I agree with Tateos. I did my engine (00 DHS) and I think you are going to find it very difficult to get to a lot of the parts you are disconnecting with the engine in the engine bay. There is a good reason why the vast majority of people here drop the cradle. Also, it is much easier to disconnect many of these pieces with the cradle out. Also, it is a good time to check out all the systems associated with the cradle. I would seriously have to wonder how easy it will be to separate the engine from the tranny that way, it was a bear even with the cradle out due to corrosion of the locator dowels between the engine and trans and I would be nervous about aligning the engine to the trans without damaging the pump drive shaft coming out of the torque converter. If you do take it out the top try to take lots of pictures for those that follow. Personally, if I ever have to do it again I will again drop the cradle. Dropping the cradle is more intimidating to think about than it really is.

I wrote up a procedure for making sure your timing will be correct although some think it is not a big deal. It is in tech tips, the link is below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-when-you.html

Good luck whichever way you do it and keep us posted.

Jim

Here's a funny read i came across:

http://www.denverlancaster.com/2009/...-lot-more.html

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I agree with Jim on this:

it was a bear even with the cradle out due to corrosion of the locator dowels between the engine and trans

There's not a lot of room between the front of the engine/oil pan and the passenger side of the cradle

Revned911 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Cadillac Concours, 93 Cadillac Seville

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post

I can tell you for sure it wasn't funny when I did it. I pulled it from the top because a guy wanted the engine for a pontiac fiaro and I needed the rest of the car to move as one unit (ie all 4 wheels working) so I move it as needed.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Based on my own experience, I think the whole cradle dropping vs out the top conflict isn't always about the difficulty as much as it is the limitations faced... I, for example, always pull FWD engines out the top as I have limited space and lack the equipment to lift/support the car as well as sneak the cradle out and move it. If you have these limitations, the "out the top" instructions are going to be a lot more useful, whether it's more difficult or not.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

thing is the motor holds the pass side of the trans up. yank motor and trans drops. cv axle will lay on frame rail. not sure i would want to move car with axle grinding on frame rail. i yanked motor and installed from top. got very lucky. dropped right in and dowels lined up perfectly.

Katmann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Can a 2005 STS 4.6L LH2 be removed from the top ? it is 05 LH2/ M22 Vin# 1G6DC67A450164632

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

I just pulled out the top and I didnt have to:
    1. disconnect the A/C
    2. remove the power steering pump

I used a floor jack under the trans with a picker over the right fender to lift the engine just enough to disengage the trans. I then had the room to reach everything on the backside. ie; elect connectors and exhaust. Then right out it came. No bloody knuckles either!
    1994 Caddy N-star removal 003.jpg1994 Caddy N-star removal 007.jpg
    BTW! According to my FSM, the steps to drop the cradle, "prefered procedure" far out numbered the steps to perform "altrenate procedure" out the top removal.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the 2005 is totally different

rear wheel drive configuration makes it quite a bit tougher

even our guys don't like to do them and we've got lifts, jacks, table stands etc to make it easier

sorry but i don't have a good answer for you
    if i had to guess i'd say no ... but then again anything's possible
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.