Important to PUSH the Northstar once a week? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Important to PUSH the Northstar once a week? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ^^ Okay, just wondering. Thanks!...
    dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Important to PUSH the Northstar once a week?

^^ Okay, just wondering. Thanks!

VinnyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Before ANYONE does the WOT thing, make sure you do not have any bottom end problems. There was a member here(sorry can't remember his name)that was having the "knock" noise. Many told him to do the WOT thinking it was carbon....it wasn't. He threw a rod. Instantly toasted engine. While I admit it is rare for the N*, it can happen. Make sure the car is in good mechanical condition before mashing the gas.

I myself use Seafoam before every oil change. I SLOWLY pour it through the PCV hose while at 100-1200 RPMs(just enough to prevent stalling). I let it sit for 30 min, then run it moderately hard for a few miles. I immediately change the oil. This seems to work very well.

Everyone has their own opinions on what to do with the carbon issue. I like the Seafoam way, but I still do the WOT thing, however its not because of the carbon.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

^^ Point well taken. I also remember that thread, and many said the WOTs only sped up the problem that was already there. The rods would have been thrown later. Maybe not, but I think as long as you warm the engine up enough, WOTs shouldn't be too much of a problem.

You seem to know how to use seafoam, but for most people, WOTs are safer because if you pour it in too fast, you hydrolock the engine up. The spray is supposed to be very safe though since it can't go in too fast.

turbocad6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 83 coupe deville 3.8sfi turbo custom / 90 brougham / 01 dts

I just bought a dts with high milage... it's got over 130k on it, & was owned by someone who musta never pushed the thing.... when I got it, the first thing I noticed was that it had a shake/stutter/stumble at idle... so on my way home with it I punched it hard for a bit..... clouds of black smoke out the tailpipe...... did it again for a few seconds longer... still black smoke....

the ride home was 2 hours & at speed on the NJ tpke, & I wot'd it many times before there was no black clouds.... by the time I got home, the engine stumbled about half as much as it did..... I have since ran a fuel injector flush machine on it, & added some injector cleaner to the fuel.... I'm still punching her daily & still clearing out all the carbon built up over the 5 years of *****footing this thing around.... BUT...

there is a flipside.... because the car was never abused or pushed hard, it is extremely tight... the tranny & all the suspension bushings & axles are all the better for it... so now, after I clear out the carbon, it'll be in better shape than if it was driven by someone like me to begin with

beating a car alot does loosen up & wear suspension & drive axles, & transmission, so the best way to "clean it out" is on the highway at higher speeds... the car will not suffer nearly as much as if you were to go around punching it from a rolling start at a light.... that causes stress & wear... I'll admit that I do punch it & accelerate hard with it too, but I've never been one to baby a car.... I go by the philosophy of, if it breaks it wasn't strong enough to begin with & needed to be replaced or upgraded anyway... I say beat the hell out of it to let it show you what's not good enough... if nothing breaks, then every things fine

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

OK as a tech I do like to see a person periodicly take a spirited trip down the road ,let the tranny do its upshift at full throttle, etc.
    As for blowing the carbon out of the engine itdoes work. I know of 2 identical last year Camaros one lady driven (ie putting around the town) and her hubby ran the pee diddling crap out of it.
    Well his had around 140k on it and hers around 100k and both got sugared and when we tore them down and went through both. did a great build up and hers had MASSIVE amounts of crud around the valves and severe carbon in the engine. The slime inside the intake and the engine was pretty bad. Then we pulled his down and it looked great carbon wise. Both got rebuilt and now she does do some spirited driving now and again and sine we put the Air Ride on her car she loves on/off ramps as she will slam a lower gear and floor it on them.
    They are building a street rod and I am trying to getthem to try an Aurora 4.0 (basicly a Northstar)but i am not sure what the bell housing shape is yet.
    I dont recommend it to go foot to the floor for miles and lay rubber all the time but a little hard running lets the engine develope some better numbers on long term fuel too.
    Heck a Ford with a MAF will forget its BARO setting if you dont give it a boot some times.
    Besdies if your Cadillac is so whimpy you cant hump it once in while they should restart Olds and kill Caddy.
    Just use some common sense.
    Lee

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

MonzaRacer I see you got the link. I just wanted you to read a good thread that had alot of Bbob's info.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.