Blown Head Gasket 00 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Blown Head Gasket 00 Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Had the cruise control set on 75 heading down the interstate. Out of nowhere got a DIC message "Engine Overheat- ...
    00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Blown Head Gasket 00 Deville

Had the cruise control set on 75 heading down the interstate. Out of nowhere got a DIC message "Engine Overheat- A/C Off" & "Change Engine Oil" looked down at the digital temp gauge was 3 bars above center. Immediately pulled over and shut it down, popped the hood to check water pump belt... was good... noticed cooling fan was running with engine off. Coolant level was low, after it cooled down... pulled the purge line and had no flow. Removed the hollow bolt at crossover end of purge line and it was clear... top radiator hose was soft gave it a squeeze and nothing but air came out the hole with the hollow bolt removed.

Put everything back together... dumped 4 bottles of Dasani water I had in the car in the surge tank. Started the car and had good flow out the purge line. Turned around to head back to Wilmington, temp was dead center, made it 2 miles and noticed the temp starting to climb... slowed down to 55 in a 70 zone, turned off the A/C and it starting cooling back down to center scale. Stopped by the parts store on the way home to pick up a block test kit.

IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2118.JPG

The blue fluid in the test kit turned yellow. So at 88,888 miles it looks like I have a blown HG. I've owned it since it had 2,900 miles on it and I've never had any type of overheating issues and have changed the coolant religiously every 3 years. Last time I did a drain and fill was 2 years ago.

The part I don't understand is I do lots of WOT's and drive it like a N* should be driven and the temp gauge has never budged past center scale. Then I'm driving down a flat section of interstate at 75 mph with the cruise control on for the last 20 miles and it overheats.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: Blown Head Gasket 00 Deville

dang now thats just sucks sorry to hear that

im one thing id sujest and not many have agreed with me but don't put watter in it
    i think watter without the proper mixture of dex or green what ever you choose is going to be bad for the block itself could cause a crack and then what

i hope you get this taken care of whats your plans fix studs or going another way

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    im one thing id sujest and not many have agreed with me but don't put watter in it
    i think watter without the proper mixture of dex or green what ever you choose is going to be bad for the block itself could cause a crack and then what
    Thanks for your condolences pup. I don't believe that watering down the coolant mix with four 16 ounce bottles of water is going to have any adverse effects on the engine... my hydrometer currently reads -10 F with the watered down coolant mix. It did get me off the side of the interstate and 26 miles down the road safely back home. Besides it's a Caddy it likes Dasani... LOL. I will not be driving the car until it is repaired correctly... engine coming out... no snake oil for my baby. I will probably check in with my local Caddy man Rippy next week to evaluate my options.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sorry to hear that my friend. What really surprises me is that it happened so fast without a low coolant warning first.

Even pure 100% water will not hurt a thing for a short period and WILL NOT crack a block. NASCAR engines run straight water. The only reason for coolant is to prevent freezing and corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    What really surprises me is that it happened so fast without a low coolant warning first.
    Never got the low coolant message. I'm assuming the coolant level switch got stuck, I'll test it tomorrow to verify my assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 Deville View Post
    Thanks for your condolences pup. I don't believe that watering down the coolant mix with four 16 ounce bottles of water is going to have any adverse effects on the engine... my hydrometer currently reads -10 F with the watered down coolant mix. It did get me off the side of the interstate and 26 miles down the road safely back home. Besides it's a Caddy it likes Dasani... LOL. I will not be driving the car until it is repaired correctly... engine coming out... no snake oil for my baby. I will probably check in with my local Caddy man Rippy next week to evaluate my options.
    just be happy it does not prefer VOSS lol

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Oh my gosh, that's terrible, I'm sorry to hear that happened to your car!

Now I'm scared because I have the same year engine and nearly the same mileage

Quote Originally Posted by mhamilton View Post
    Now I'm scared because I have the same year engine and nearly the same mileage
    I was a little shocked myself how quickly it overheated with no warning signs, at first i thought it must have been an issue with W/P belt. I've got an 02 N* with about 20K less on the clock so I know how you feel. I went ahead and tested my 02 Deville for the hell of it... the fluid stayed blue.

I had an interesting observation with the test fluid for the block test. Immediately after I aerated the blue fluid with the gas in the airspace above the coolant using the block test kit the fluid turned yellow, about 30 minutes later it had turned a little green as you can see in the picture in post #1, this morning it had reverted back to the original blue color. It would appear that the test fluid reverts back to it's original color over time when it's no longer being exposed to exhaust gasses.

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    i hope you get this taken care of whats your plans fix studs or going another way
    Ordered My Stud kit from Jake today.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 Deville View Post
    Ordered My Stud kit from Jake today.
    awesome maybe youll be one of the first ginie pigs for his USA shipping

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

guinea pig. Cavea porcellus. A rodent.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    guinea pig. Cavea porcellus. A rodent.
    thanks for the English reading and since lesson lol ]
    i still don't get what Cavea Porcellus means and not sure i really want to find out can't handle more words then i know right now lol

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

You know, they changed the pitch in the head bolts for '00-up models thus fixing the HG problem. Now all these '00-up H/G problems are turning up. It must be a conspiracy of liars 'cause I was CONVINCED this problem was over with.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    You know, they changed the pitch in the head bolts for '00-up models thus fixing the HG problem. Now all these '00-up H/G problems are turning up. It must be a conspiracy of liars 'cause I was CONVINCED this problem was over with.
    I believe the threaded portion was lengthened starting in 2000 but the coarser pitch came later like in 2004. It'll be interesting to see the head gasket failure rate on the later engines with the coarser pitch head bolts.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    No one EVER said the problem was "fixed". Why do you insist on being such a jack ass?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.