God Bless America - stud kits to ship from new USA location
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, God Bless America - stud kits to ship from new USA location in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After a week of nothing but frustrations with UPS Canada (and this has gone on a long time), customers getting ...
    97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

God Bless America - stud kits to ship from new USA location

After a week of nothing but frustrations with UPS Canada (and this has gone on a long time), customers getting billed customs fees and insanely expensive ship costs, I decided to take advice from my Attorney/Engineer (he's a smart man) in New York.

My Manitoba shop is 11 miles from Pembina, North Dakota. Pembina has a place where I can leave packages for UPS and also there is a post office there too.

I'm leaning toward USPS Priority Parcel Mail- I will send a few packages out this way and I will monitor cost and ship times.

I have a new mailing address:

Northstar Performance
    P.O. Box 108
    Pembina, North Dakota

To be in a business where 90%+ of my business is American, residing in Canada makes things difficult. This new shipping/mailing location is the first step into the USA for Northstar Performance.

I am trying to make everything better and easier for my customers, including speeding up ship times and eliminating surprise customs charges. I will see if I can lower the costs for express/overnight shipping. It's all one step at a time but I am here to serve my customers and I hope the shipping nightmares are done. This means either myself or an employee will be making daily trips across the US border. It's going to be a PITA, but nothing compared to dealing with UPS Canada and having them lose stud kits all the time (and charge me an arm and a leg to do so!).

The website will be updated soon with my new mailing address and I'll try to check my mail every time a shipment is made, or at least every week.

I knew this new location would have its advantages. The proximity to a 24 hour US border crossing is definitely one of them....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: God Bless America - stud kits to ship from new USA location

Oh..... and I guess I'm going to have to start dealing with Chris Heath at Rippy......

Chris if you catch this- can you ship to P.O. Boxes? I just paid $84.00 for a rear main seal about 30 minutes ago here in Altona, so you may be getting orders from me for 50 at a time......

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Sweet

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Jake, Shipping out of the US is a very smart move... BTW, Chris's signature line says that he will be out of the office until Monday.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Great news, Jake! I just ordered a stud kit for the 97 sts I am doing on the 16th. Does this change apply to my order? I can be a guinea pig for USPS shipping if needed.

Thanks 00 Deville -

And Ternstes - PM me real quick with your order info you are likely to be one of the USPS customers.....

Speedygman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7

GREAT for the NorthStar folks and TERRFIC for NorthStar Performance, this is a very good thing. I just received my notice from UPS for my studs like Jake warned me about. O well life is good. $38.80 Charges from UPS for sending back and forth across the board two times before leaving Detroit/ Go figure.

92Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville

If I decide to tackle my HG job, I will definately be placing an order for the studs too. If you are going to go through all the work to do the job, do it once and do it right! Jake, you are the savior of northstars.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I am happy to see you make things better for us; I got a bill from UPS right after I removed my engine haha what a surprise.

By the way, thank you Jake for updating your website with instructions.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

you are the man!!!!

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

This is Great news Jake
    Small step for Man Kind Giant step for Northstar Performance
    your the man

It's those surprise customs charges that I hate too- I can't take the hit for them because it's the US government charging that, and if I do, the profits fall to the point where it's not worth selling the kits-

I believe for now I have the customs charges taken care of again, I know what caused that, the rise of the Canadian dollar sent the kits declared value above the "low value shipment" status......

I have a lot more to discuss but becoming a U.S. citizen and having a shop in both countries is becoming very tempting. I'm not doing that until I'm completely financially stable though. Made it through the roughest waters, I see clear sailing ahead even if the odd heavy wave does hit-. Tomorrow at 7am I have a new employee coming for a 9 hour shift. If he works the way I think he will, I see a lot of work getting done quickly and carefully (as it needs to be). Just the other night I invited him and his wife over for dinner. After dinner, we went out to the shop and built a new table for the stud kit assembly line. I had all the measurements ready and I kid you not, it took us no longer than 20 minutes to have a 4x8 table constructed out of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood. He did all the marking, I did the cutting, He held the legs while I screwed them together. Efficient team work. That's what it's all about! That's what every company needs to get the job done....

Photo of a table constructed in 20 minutes.....

For anyone who thinks that I am in the middle of nowhere, while that may be entirely true, here's a photo of downtown Winnipeg (a little bit North of me, the capital of Manitoba):

Took this the other day from the driver's seat of my 2010 Sierra. I was on the way to pick up some parts for the stud kits. Yeah, time to replace that windshield, already.

Speedygman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    It's those surprise customs charges that I hate too- I can't take the hit for them because it's the US government charging that, and if I do, the profits fall to the point where it's not worth selling the kits-

I believe for now I have the customs charges taken care of again, I know what caused that, the rise of the Canadian dollar sent the kits declared value above the "low value shipment" status......

I have a lot more to discuss but becoming a U.S. citizen and having a shop in both countries is becoming very tempting. I'm not doing that until I'm completely financially stable though. Made it through the roughest waters, I see clear sailing ahead even if the odd heavy wave does hit-. Tomorrow at 7am I have a new employee coming for a 9 hour shift. If he works the way I think he will, I see a lot of work getting done quickly and carefully (as it needs to be). Just the other night I invited him and his wife over for dinner. After dinner, we went out to the shop and built a new table for the stud kit assembly line. I had all the measurements ready and I kid you not, it took us no longer than 20 minutes to have a 4x8 table constructed out of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood. He did all the marking, I did the cutting, He held the legs while I screwed them together. Efficient team work. That's what it's all about! That's what every company needs to get the job done....

Photo of a table constructed in 20 minutes.....

Now you need to start making tables and start selling them? HA HA

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.