My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Jim the cost of shipping 750 lbs would be worth it to have someone build the engine that does it ...
    97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Re: My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture

Jim the cost of shipping 750 lbs would be worth it to have someone build the engine that does it on a regular basis. Still, I enjoy turning wrenches on anything mechanical. I won't hijack Speedygman's thread on an Olds build but if I do tackle this engine myself, Jim I'll be looking to you for advice on the best parts. (Aluminum heads would take some weight off the old big block!) Thanks for all the info!!!!

That is a nice wagon speedygman!!

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Speedygman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7

UP date, will be going to take a test run tomorrow to check everything out. It has been a real learning experience for me. Will try and do some pictures also maybe some video.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Very timely post, Speedy -

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Good to see ya back on here Grady. Hope all is well :-)

I have had a very tough year with my right leg. Broke leg bone just below right knee, 27 pieces, put together with screws and glue, lost ACL and MCL, waited 5 months, went in to replace knee, bones no good, installed a chrome moly leg from mid thigh to mid shin, with a spring for a knee, recuperating from that and knee collapsed and had a broke hip surgery again. Now recovering nicely and will need 6 to 8 months of 2 times a week therapy. Can walk short period with cane. Just now starting to get back on the work of the Vicky. Had a engine test run today couldn't go on the road because paint work underneath on the frame was wet. Engine is running GREAT, computer is still learning, it even idles at 700 RPM in neutral. Has a real nasty biting sound exhaust sound. Now running FAST, sequential EFI, with Holley throttle body. Will give a few more days of driving and learning for the computer, sounds like it needs a little more timing. Then I have a day set up to run DYNO to get the most that we can get. I have some pictures but I am having trouble getting them into this site. Will figure out and post latter.
    Attached Images

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygman View Post
    I have had a very tough year with my right leg. Broke leg bone just below right knee, 27 pieces, put together with screws and glue, lost ACL and MCL, waited 5 months, went in to replace knee, bones no good, installed a chrome moly leg from mid thigh to mid shin, with a spring for a knee, recuperating from that and knee collapsed and had a broke hip surgery again. Now recovering nicely and will need 6 to 8 months of 2 times a week therapy. Can walk short period with cane. Just now starting to get back on the work of the Vicky. Had a engine test run today couldn't go on the road because paint work underneath on the frame was wet. Engine is running GREAT, computer is still learning, it even idles at 700 RPM in neutral. Has a real nasty biting sound exhaust sound. Now running FAST, sequential EFI, with Holley throttle body. Will give a few more days of driving and learning for the computer, sounds like it needs a little more timing. Then I have a day set up to run DYNO to get the most that we can get. I have some pictures but I am having trouble getting them into this site. Will figure out and post latter.
    Holy crap, man here's to wishing you a good recovery and therapy. Glad to see you got that monster of a northstar roaring.

Well folks it has been a real experience to say the least. I had weird trouble with the EFI from Holley but it was not Holley EFI trouble but dumb me Grady trouble. After trying to get engine to run correctly for 6 months I gave up and carried to my friends shop and he and I and one other expert tried to figure what was wrong to no avail.
    I ordered a new EFI system and it came in and when I went to take out the wiring harness for the Holley system out We immediately saw the problem. The engine coolant temperature sensor leads were pinched between the bell housing and the rear of the engine block. So I now had two CUSTOM EFI SYSTEMS that can not be sent back. I go with the new system as I have a friend with a lot of experience with the new system. So the story has a happy ending even with my stupidity involvement. It has good manners now the engine I speak of. I can not stress enough READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THROUGHLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WHEN YOU GET WEIRD TROUBLE SIGNS GO BACK AND TAKE OUT THE INTIRE SYSTEM AND REINSTALL AND THE PROBLEMS WILL PROBABLY BE FOUND OUT AND FIXED, WE NEVER GET TO OLD TO LEARN. I will try and post some video and pictures soon.

Hi, Grady. How's the new starboard leg holding up ?

Sub,
    Great to hear from you, I wanted to tell you of my Dad's 22 years as a shallow water sailor, United States Coast Guard, he passed away last year at 96, had full head of hair, all his teeth, never had spent the night in a hospital. Was in every Naval Landing in the Pacific driving a Higgins boat. Wow did he ever have some stories that he told me before he died. He was a real sailors sailor.

My starboard leg is still getting better, the starboard hip is still pretty bad but getting better, I can walk a 1/2 mile with my cane and a few hundred yards without any cane. I guess it will take time.

I am getting more and more adapt at tuning on the computer with guidance from my friend Bob Ream, he is a genius with my computer remotely from Arizona to Georgia over the internet and my lap top. New world for old dogs.

Good to hear .......... and my Dad died in 2004 at 94 - he, too was in the Pacific in WW-II - USN, Seabees - came home in '44 with a load of shrapnel in HIS right hip, but he never walked with even a slight limp.

ME - my right leg is screwed up from the nerve damage caused by crushed spinal discs in my neck: Football, rugby, motorcycle racing accidents. After a 9.5 hour surgery to remove the discs, my entire head is held on by a titanium ladder screwed onto 5 neck vertebrae with 10 sheet metal screws - makes it hard to roll around under cars ............

Sub
    This is why we hear about, If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. You really have to be tuff to get old. So don't mess with a old guy he will kill you.

Yesterday I blew leaves for 2.5 hours - used a 4-cycle TroyBilt backpacker blower. It burns NO (straight) gas and makes a 2-cycle blower look like a soda straw by comparison. Same drill tomorrow. Creaks and arthritis be damned - life goes on.

BTW - we used one of the Holley TB FI/management systems on a boat engine I built last year - had troubles with fuel trims and long-term idling (while running crab trotlines). Went back to a standard Delco distributor with Pertronix Ignitor/Crane adjustable vacuum advance and a slightly tricked Quadrajet and all is well ..............

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygman View Post
    ................don't mess with a old guy he will kill you.
    I carry ..............

Packing feels real comfortable

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.