My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; molded plastic wall thickness is very thin. would be careful trying to enlarge ports. or maybe chfrb says it is ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

Re: My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture

molded plastic wall thickness is very thin. would be careful trying to enlarge ports. or maybe chfrb says it is ok since they deal with modding the NS alot.

Speedygman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    molded plastic wall thickness is very thin. would be careful trying to enlarge ports. or maybe chfrb says it is ok since they deal with modding the NS alot.
    Yes they are thin, thanks for JB Weld we will see?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There IS a bit of cleaning up to be done, but not much. be careful with that Dremel burr.................too much and the bolt bosses crack.

This is a 2000+ manifold, but the idea is about the same..................

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    There IS a bit of cleaning up to be done, but not much. be careful with that Dremel burr.................too much and the bolt bosses crack.

Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post

I have now gone to a new intake and injection system. Will be useing the CHRF intake with the Holley 1000 CFM throttle body with intake drilled for individual Ford Racing injectors 30LBS an hour
    Attached Images

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

man, the aftermarket FI stuff is pricey. a mpi system is 2000 easy. the northstar 4 barrel intakes are 500 but are pretty nice. add 500 for a nice carb and your at a grand now.

Cool Re: My NorthStar Head Stud installation picture

Quote Originally Posted by stove asy View Post
    man, the aftermarket FI stuff is pricey. a mpi system is 2000 easy. the north star 4 barrel intakes are 500 but are pretty nice. add 500 for a nice carb and your at a grand now.
    I guess when you are spending the Grand Kids inheritance for good car parts, that it is a good thing. Yes very pricey, but @450 HP with 288 cubic inches with pump gas is OK for me. It is the same today as it was yesterday IT COST MONEY TO GO FAST, HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO. With the whole engine deal, Heads, Cams,Intake,Computer, Wire Harness, Ford Injectors,Throttle Body, new fuel pressure regulator,fuel rails and assorted plumbing, new in tank fuel pump, it starts to be very pricey for my limited funds. I have planned this for 10 years and now is the time to GETERRRRR DONE. LIFE IS SHORT, DRIVE A HOT ROD

Exactly ^^^^ - the 455 Olds engines I build for boats come in at around $7,500, running. And that's a basic, bulletproof workhorse. Get into roller cams/lifters, complete electronic ignitions and throttlebody FI and you're close to $10,000.

I still wish that at least some of the Northstar engine upgrades could be stuffed into a FWD sidewinder package but it ain't gonna happen.

So sad, it would take a Electrical Engineer, Computer Engineer and a Mechanical Engineer to do a deal like that, but it could be done, but way pricey out of my league.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Jim I have that 455 out of my Olds now. The body was crushed. I'm looking for a better style car to fit that into, maybe an old mid early-late 70's Cutlass. If I want to spice that engine up a bit, should I send it over to you? Funds will be limited for some time- maybe two years down the road I'll have some cash to sink into an old iron block, RWD project. I'd love to have you build it up. It runs great just needs a bit more power.... I can seriously imagine a '97 Eldorado with a RWD setup and an old iron big cube V8..... I love the Northstar but that would just be downright cool- and time consuming to build!

As far as I know within the next 30 days I'll be visiting some prospective U.S. States to set up a U.S. shop. I may have to take time to visit a few people. Florida is one of them, Texas is another, and a few more I'm considering. I'll be looking at climate, geographic location, population centers within reasonable driving distances, etc...

Speedygman, I just may stop by to say hi and see your beautiful project first hand.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Jake,
    The invitation is still extended for you at anytime. Come on down. Better do it before July/August it turns HOT HOT.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Hey, if you pop in to Florida send me a PM. Would be cool to meet the man, the myth, the legend, Stud guy.

Wagon Man, this is my wife's wagon she loves them.
    Attached Images

Jake, I'd be glad to do a 455 build for you, BUT - consider this: truck freight and crating. That's a 750# engine.

A 455, as you know, is a piece of cake to overhaul/build, and the aftermarket parts availability is fantastic - you can find multiple variations of any engine part. Surf through Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW), Mondello, and Dick Miller Racing (DMR) catalogs for starters. (A set of Mondello street ported heads is now over $1500). I have not used Edelbrock aluminum heads to date due to concerns about heavy marine manifolds and exhaust piping. Get Joe Mondello's Olds "Performance Products - Technically Prepared" paperback catalog - every engine spec and all torque settings as well as slews of build and gasket seal tricks.

A good block and head cleaning. ARP bolts all around. Valves, guides, springs, locks, retainers. Keith Black 10:1 pistons with Sealed Power moly rings in whatever size mikes out. Clevite mains and rod bearings. Complete FelPro gasket set. A Cloyes double roller timing set, advanced 4 degrees (don't forget the oil slinger ring). An Edelbrock Perfomer intake (not the RPM version) with Mr.Gasket intake gaskets, Edelbrock Gasgacinch for sealer - that setup gets you away from the valley tray "bathtub" intake gasket. A clean QJ with electric choke. March makes a serpentine belt kit. There's a cam cover in the valley. I remove it and drill/chamfer a drip hole above each cam lobe for additional flat tappet lubrication - not necessary if you go to rollers. Stock performance lifters. Mr. Gasket (expensive) valve cover gaskets #5875 and exhaust manifold #5945. I degree all my cams, but if you use a Comp mild grind or one of the Mondello (Engle) street grinds it's not necessary - they're dead accurate out of the box. Use the stock distributor with a Pertronix module and ACCEL 8mm wires, NGK Iridium plugs.

I could rattle on and on, but if you run into problems, call me. Same number as before.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Spedygman - that thing is gorgeous. I think I'm in love (With the car, honest. Don't shoot me. )

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.