1998 Deville Waterpump housing cover gasket is it reall a dealer only item
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1998 Deville Waterpump housing cover gasket is it reall a dealer only item in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was going through someones post regarding the northstar water pump r&r procedure and seen that they listed the housing ...
    brianroark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Devil, 93 Deville, 84 Cuttylac built 350 olds, Arctic Cat

1998 Deville Waterpump housing cover gasket is it reall a dealer only item

I was going through someones post regarding the northstar water pump r&r procedure and seen that they listed the housing cover gasket and pellets as a dealer only part???

I went on the advance auto web page and found this gasket... is this the housing cover gasket? I would greatly appreciate a response before 5pm today, if this gasket at advance auto is the wrong gasket i need to go to the dealer then. and they close early Would really appreciate it for all of your input.

So basically I have to worry about two gaskets the pump o ring and this housing gasket? These are the only two to replace when you have a leak from the water pump area of the car? ( I have heard of the crossover passage leading from head to head leaking but I will tackle the water pump and any gaskets associated with that first and see if it is a fix before I get into it the problem any further)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Water-Pump-Gasket-Felpro_20680179-P_110_R|GRPCOOLAMS_842441009___

Also, which bars-leak can I use in substitution for the tablets. I don't remember and really don't want to waste the time going to the dealer if I don't have to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1998 Deville Waterpump housing cover gasket is it reall a dealer only item

I just realized there are two different gaskets.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...p2HomeClicked=

Can someone enlighten me?

Part No. 35656

and

Part No. 35658

Racer704 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by brianroark View Post
    I just realized there are two different gaskets.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...p2HomeClicked=

Can someone enlighten me?

Part No. 35656

and

Part No. 35658
    Brian,this 1st post was a cross over gasket and the second didnt bring anything up. I can tell you they made a upgraded housing cover that uses a much better sealing gasket . It not expensive at all from the dealer and if your going to do it go buy it from the dealer or here online from Rippy or from another supporting board member. As far as stop leak I wouldnt use any at all...but thats my personal choice and if you read all the other threads you will understand why and how they work , I think there is one thats a sticky also. i am sure others will chime in here also....

Good Luck

Racer704 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah, the new housing with the new 'teardrop' housing gasket plus a new thermostat (thicker) gasket is what usually does the trick
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ok, the two gaskets I found on the website were indeed the two crossover gaskets and not what I need.

The GM part number for the oblong housing gasket is part number #12600020
    The GM Part number for the o-ring that goes on the inside of the water pump is #12562004

Thanks for the support.

The revised Thermostat Housing Cover is part no #12600022 and is about 50 bucks.
    Thanks Chris

Did you say get a new thermostat gasket in addition? IS this housing the housing which the thermostat fits into?

Thanks.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

new t/stat is up to you... the new t/stat gasket is highly recommended ... #12574478 (updated thicker gasket holds a seal better than the original)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Yeah, didn't realize the water pump housing assembly was also the shared tstat housing. I ended up picking up both the teardrop oblong gasket and tstat gasket, the new housing cover and a new water pump and water-pump gasket. now lets pray, my crossover's arnt leaking since I was too lazy to get down and dirty and check the exacly location of the drippage..

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I wouldn't not use any sealant either, BUT if you want to, the only sealer other than the tabs (HDC) is the powdered version (G12BP). Both by Barsleaks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.