Radiator Flush 02 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Radiator Flush 02 deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey everyone, i was recommended to do a radiator flush, it has 120,000 miles, and i also dont know if ...
    Nash-tasic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville

Radiator Flush 02 deville

Hey everyone, i was recommended to do a radiator flush, it has 120,000 miles, and i also dont know if its something i can do myself i am not familiar with cadillac's or Narthstars but am really wanting to learn

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: Radiator Flush 02 deville

Forget about flushing, drain & refill will be enough. It is very easy to do. The cooling system of Northstar engines is self-purging.

1. Open the plastic drain plug (19mm) under the radiator and the coolant will start flowing out of the radiator.
    2. Adding a GM sealant tab is your choice.
    3. Put the drain plug back in (hand tight) and fill 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool to the half line of the tank.
    4. Close the coolant tank and start the engine.
    5. Run the engine to about 2,500-3,000rpm several times.
    6. Turn off the engine before it hits operating temperature and let it cool down; carefully check the coolant level.
      6.1. If dropped(most likely), fill it back to the half line of the surge tank.
    7. Either repeat steps 6-6.1 or take the car for test drive, run the engine in various RPMs and come back; let it cool down.
    8. Carefully check for the coolant level change and fill it back to the half mark if necessary.
    9. Repeat steps 7-8 until there is no coolant level change.

Note that opening the cooling system with hot coolant not only will give you false reading but also could possibly burn you. Also it is a very good time to check purge line for coolant flow; it should flow coolant all the time when the engine is running.

Nash-tasic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville

oh nice. thank you that does sound easy! how often is that recommended to do

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Nash-tasic View Post
    oh nice. thank you that does sound easy! how often is that recommended to do
    Using a 50/50 mix of DEX-COOL and distilled water I would do it every third spring - 3 years. GM says 5 years.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It will be much easier and less of a mess if you drop the plastic splash shield under the radiator before doing the job.

jrb03deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi

I want to flush mine to but what about the rest of the system, is there a recommendation for flushing and rinsing the whole system?

It is all but impossible to get all the coolant out. The only way is to drain it and refill with water. Run it and drain it again until the mix gets very thin, but then you have the problem of getting it back to a 50/50 mix since you now will have almost straight water remaining in the system. Best to just drain what you can and refill with a 50/50 mix.

Discussions: Cadillac Tech Tips.

Do all the recommended drain/shop vac/refill/bleed/refill work and make sure the purge line and hollow bolt/nipple flow a steady stream of coolant. Coolant level is halfway up in the reservoir, cold. Never adjust coolant levels with a hot engine.

Unless you do some really creative work with a shop vac and break into the heater circuit you'll NEVER get all the old coolant out - a simple drain and refill every 3 years is more than enough to maintain the coolant additive packages at safe levels.

The best, peace-of-mind "flush" is to take advantage of a GM dealer "Fall Special" and have the coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid and P/S fluid exchanged. You have an invoice, a service record, and some sort of warranty on the work.

Bone dry, your system holds about 12.5 quarts of 50/50 DEX-COOL. 2 gallons of 100% DEX-COOL, 2 gallons of distilled water from the grocery store. Find a 2 quart pitcher. Pour 1/2 jug of distilled water in the pitcher. Fill the water jug with DEX-COOL. Pour the pitcher of water into the DEX-COOL jug. 2 gallons of 50/50 mix and a clean pitcher. Repeat.

If the system had no nuisance weeps before the coolant exchange, don't use any sealants or tablets. (Post #2)

............... hello, Ranger !!!!

All this fall coolant flush stuff motivated me to exchange another 2 quarts of coolant about 20 minutes ago - this is after the earlier farm road run to just over 125. Here's what coolant should look like when you drain it out. (I do this drill every 3 months - every 3 months, so in effect I change 2 gallons of coolant every year.) Siphon out 2 quarts, refill with same amount of 50/50.

bm85 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

ok I cant believe I just read all that, people have advised you to do a drain and fill of your coolant. That is not sufficient enough. You need to go to MR. Lube or penzoil or wherever and pay the 99.99 and have a coolant flush. You cant do a proper coolant flush yourself unless by rigging some sort of home made shop vac thing. When they do a coolant flush they use a special machine that sucks all the old coolant out from your blower, block, engine, rad, lines etc, and replace it with new coolant, the amount of money and time your going to spend on buying coolant, and the labour your going to put in, and the possibility of burning your self and the mess, your better off paying the 100. Its recommended to do it every 50k or so, varies by vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by bm85 View Post
    ok I cant believe I just read all that, people have advised you to do a drain and fill of your coolant. That is not sufficient enough.
    Do tell. Please educate us.

This is gonna be good ........... I wonder if this guy is a front man for the anti-Right To Repair greenies.

On one hand, I believe that a (trusted) GM dealership fluids exchange package is a recommended interval worthwhile investment in automobile maintenance; On the other hand - I would NEVER let my car within 100 yards of an Oil Doodle - to even vacuum the carpets.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    I would NEVER let my car within 100 yards of an Oil Doodle - to even vacuum the carpets.
    I once let them replace the battery on our van since it was a free service that came with battery purchase, and they managed to mess up the one and only thing that needs to be removed to replace the battery. They put the tower to tower brace wrong and bent it to make it fit in the wrong place.

I bet they'll use power tools on the drain plug and break it. Or mix orange with green. They'll probably suggest you to use stop leak also. Same "mechanics" who say all Northstars have blown head gaskets.
    alfarop1999 likes this.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Do not go to quicky lubes for AF flushes. Last time my wife did they used 50/50 in the machine instead of pure. Of course they didn't check it. When I did it was good to about 10F. When they asked why I checked I told them I knew they would dork it up, they also left the rad drain plug loose. I77 in mtns 2am rest area I noticed AF leaking, the plug had 1/2 a thread before it fell out. Good stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.