Spark plug replacment
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Spark plug replacment in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Have 2003 DTS w/4.6, Vin (9) HO. just went over 100k and would like to replace spark plugs. Have read ...
    noel bankston is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Post Spark plug replacment

Have 2003 DTS w/4.6, Vin (9) HO. just went over 100k and would like to replace spark plugs.
    Have read a lot on about the plugs and have a few questions.
    1. Stay w/ACDelco or can i try some other plug like NGK, Champion, Auto-lite ect?

2. If stay w/AC which one 41-987, 41-950 or Iridium?

3. It this as easy as they say it is, to change the plugs on a Northstar?

4. Do i change the wires as well?

Had 1992 Devile and change the plugs on it with no problem.

Any and all help is welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Spark plug replacment

Your engine uses A/C Delco 41-987 plugs. Use them. You have no "wires". You have COP (Coil On Plug) ignition. Your plugs are under the ignition cassettes in the cam covers. Front one is easy. The rear, not so much.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Also, apparently Denso was the OE supplier of the plugs, so you can go with them if you don't want to buy Delco. I went with Delco when I did mine, though.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

I thought that Delco was the original plugs that came in

hm denso

so why is everyone hyped about putting the delco's in our n's
    do they perform better then the original denso ?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

noel, Stick with the OEM plugs. For your year they are probably AC Delco Professional Platinum brand, made by DENSO in Japan. (The stamping on the metal shell). Earlier cars had the same DENSO plug without the AC Delco brand.

Here's what you're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    noel, Stick with the OEM plugs. For your year they are probably AC Delco Professional Platinum brand, made by DENSO in Japan. (The stamping on the metal shell). Earlier cars had the same DENSO plug without the AC Delco brand.

Here's what you're looking at.
    Thank you very much. i do have one more?. How many boot plugs are there. 1 per spark plug or one per engine. I order 8.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yep - one per plug - it's another $45 down the tubes, but you'll be glad you don't need to go in there again. Get a tube of Dielectric Boot Grease at your local parts store and place an extra smear around the ceramic insulator of each plug before you torque it in.

You may find some oil on the plug metal shell and/or ceramic - not to worry. The plug wells are sealed with O-rings and they tend to weep over time. Oil is an insulator..............

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

The back ones are a bit tight. I did lose a 10mm ratcheting wrench to the deep depths of the engine when I was futzing around with the AIR check mounted back there and dropped the wrench. An air ratchet is helpful to getting those rear coil cassette bolts off, not a lot of room to turn a wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Yep - one per plug - it's another $45 down the tubes, but you'll be glad you don't need to go in there again. Get a tube of Dielectric Boot Grease at your local parts store and place an extra smear around the ceramic insulator of each plug before you torque it in.

You may find some oil on the plug metal shell and/or ceramic - not to worry. The plug wells are sealed with O-rings and they tend to weep over time. Oil is an insulator..............
    the front plugs and boot are in. had to stop because of the bracket over the back coil assembly. Is there an easy way to get the bracket off without putting the car on a lift?

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    The back ones are a bit tight. I did lose a 10mm ratcheting wrench to the deep depths of the engine when I was futzing around with the AIR check mounted back there and dropped the wrench. An air ratchet is helpful to getting those rear coil cassette bolts off, not a lot of room to turn a wrench.
    the bracket on the back. How or what did you do to get it off.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

That bracket is a pain to get off. I had a few of them off, I use a 10mm 1/4" drive socket, and a combination wrench. There are 3 bolts holding the bracket to the valve cover. One is buried in the back. Then there are 2 nuts threaded straight up to hold the valve to the pipe that goes to the exhaust manifold. After the 3 bolts and 2 nuts are off, you can lift the bracket and valve off, and swing the pipe out of the way. After you do a few, it does get easier.

ok job is done. Amazon had the 41-987 plugs ($6 x 8) and boots ($2 x 8). With tools it cost my be $150. To get to the 2 nuts holding the pipe to the bracket well i had to put the car on a lift. ALL cylinders looked good. no abnormal wear to the plugs.
    Thanks for all the help it is easy except for the two nuts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.