98 seville sts white smoke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 seville sts white smoke in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; First and formost, thanks to all of the mechanically inclined individuals in our forum. You give so much insight to ...
    bshack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

98 seville sts white smoke

First and formost, thanks to all of the mechanically inclined individuals in our forum. You give so much insight to men like myself. I have a problem with my 1998 STS with white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I had a hole in the radiator and did not replace it for 2 months. When I replaced old radiator with the new radiator, I turned the car over and white smoke rolled out of the tailpipe. The car eventually would not stay running and I flooded it out. I am the only owner of the car and the car only has 82,000 miles on it. I know our northstar engines are very common to have a blow head gasket but I would like one of you guys to give some more insight on how to get my car I love so dear back on the road. Where do I start, Thank you, Brad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 98 seville sts white smoke

First off, go back there and smell the "smoke". Does it smell like gas, oil or the sweet smell of coolant?

Ranger, I can not tell you. I wish I could. This happened to me about a month ago and my car has been sitting in the garage since being I did not have the money at the time to get it fixed. I can tell you. Once I first put the new radiator in and the car had the white smoke, thick white smoke coming out of the tailpipe, I went and bought some blue devil and put it in the car exactly how the instructions said to. Once I ran the car for the duration it tells you on the bottle as you gradually put the additive in the motor, is when I could not keep my car running. I had to keep turning it over until I burnt the starter up. This is where I am at now with my car. I had a so called mechanic come and look at it and he said the oil was not milky and he seemed to think it was not the head gasket. I am lost. Thanks Ranger. Maybe this helps you out.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

So wait, just to confirm: you bought a bottle off cooling system sealer and poured it directly into the engine, and now it won't run?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    So wait, just to confirm: you bought a bottle off cooling system sealer and poured it directly into the engine, and now it won't run?
    Drew, Chew on this: Could he (saying that "thick white smoke" rolled out of the tailpipe) have literally locked up one or more cylinders with block sealer due to a radical head gasket leak ?

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

That's what it sounds like Sub. Depending on what was used.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

another tragic snake-oil tale
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

foxjohnc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille present, '99 DeVille past

Just curious, but WHY would you continue spinning the engine over to the point where it burnt up the starter? It seems to me that if it wouldnt start back up on the first or second attempt you would stop and try to locate the problem causing the no-start. Its rediculous to burn up a perfectly good starter when your car is givng you every indication it can that you have major problems. The horrible smoking would seem like a good enough indication it me. The blue devil crap is a rip off plain and simple. All it is good for is making your wallet lighter and giving the guys behind the counter who sold it to you a good laugh.

It's pretty simple really; we as man who designed and built the machine, command that said machine work when we want it to. I'm just as guilty of this; finished the starter on my 6.5 Detroit Diesel. It was drawing way more power than it should have anyways, and it was spinning too slow to start the engine even with plenty of volts in the two batteries. So I just kept it spinning. I knew it wasn't a good idea but "what the heck". So there's a new starter in the box from GM waiting to be installed.

The HG repair in a bottle is some people's way of crossing their fingers for a few more miles out of the old 32 valve engine. It's not a good idea but I really don't blame them. The first time my '97 Eldorado overheated was on the Ambassador Bridge coming back from Detroit, on a double date. What a place for a car to overheat. I shut the engine off in the USA and coasted into Canada Luckily I had family that could lend me a vehicle in the mean time while mine was down but if it was my only ride, I may have crossed my fingers and tried that miracle sealant (Ok I know better so maybe not). But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Let's help this guy Brad, not condemn him for his efforts to keep his beauty operational.

Brad are you willing to save up and spend a few $$ to get this beauty back on the road? White smoke is normally coolant; so you are getting coolant in the cylinders. This is one of two things - a cracked block or a blown head gasket. Most likely a blown head gasket. Do not try starting it any more with that much white smoke. If the block is still good and not cracked, let's not do any more damage.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The HG repair in a bottle is some people's way of crossing their fingers for a few more miles out of the old 32 valve engine.
    It's not called "Hope In A Bottle" for nothing.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Drew, Chew on this: Could he (saying that "thick white smoke" rolled out of the tailpipe) have literally locked up one or more cylinders with block sealer due to a radical head gasket leak ?
    Definitely. I just didn't know if I was reading it right. I was confused by "Once I ran the car for the duration it tells you on the bottle as you gradually put the additive in the motor, is when I could not keep my car running."

Put the additive in the motor? Where in the motor?

Nothing seems to surprise me, so I had to confirm that I shouldn't be taking that literally...

Thanks EldoCoupe for your thoughts and keeping me upbeat on my best efforts and to all for your help. Maybe I should not have turned the starter over one to many times, but it was frustrating to say the least to have just have the new radiator installed to have white smoke suddenly appear coming out of the tailpipe. I thought I did my research on the additive blue devil and yes, I was sold trying to save a penny. I have now learned my lesson. Through all of this, is it safe to say to keep me on the bright side this, I have a blown head gasket. I am pretty mechanically inclined but this issue is where I can no longer fix my car car myself. I am confused and just would like an honest opinion on where I need to go from here. Thanks, Brad.

I can probably help you out with a good, low mileage used engine, studded, resealed, and ready to install. (what I consider to be reconditioned). Cheaper than a rebuilt unit. Simplest way to get you up and running again, just swap this one in.

Shoot me an email with further details. Brad.Shackelford@yahoo.com.

I will do soon. Sorry for the late response I've been on the road the last couple days. There's 4 feet of snow in front of my shop right now.... being cleared as I type this

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.