Bad Gas? - the reprecussions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Bad Gas? - the reprecussions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I must have either gotten wrong octane (mismarked pump?) or just bad gas, as my ETC has given all signs. ...
    97cherry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS-White Diamond

Bad Gas? - the reprecussions

I must have either gotten wrong octane (mismarked pump?) or just bad gas, as my ETC has given all signs. I figured after a tank or two of amacco 93, that it would work out...It seems to have gotten alittle better, but still 'sputtering, etc'...WELL, my "service engine soon" light came on this weekend. I called caddy dealer, who said "oh, that's not good, I've seen alot of that lately"..
    So, can anyone tell me what should be the problem, and what I can expect to hear from the dealer tomorrow when I take her in. (90,666 miles).

Thanks in advance.
    kdw

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RLLOVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Bad Gas? - the reprecussions

Been using gas additives? which can ruin injectors and fuel pump...too early for coil packs to go? (tends to happen suddenly)...

Nope, no additives.....just amacco ulimate, and synthetic oil, and alot of love....I'm worried that "bad gas" is gonna run me new fuel lines, pump, "tank"....yikes....
    Thanks for reply..
    I also need to blow the carbon out, but am affraid to until I get clean bill of health, ya know?
    kdw

RLLOVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Run the codes off your On Board Diagnostic system for more clues and if nothing turns up, try a tank or 2 of high class gas (shell V tech has gotten a few raves here) and see if the problem goes away...

If I do run the codes, do they get cleared out? I guess I mean I haven't checked them cuz I'm affraid the "techs" won't see them?..I'm crazy/paranoid, etc?... Dunno?
    I really am affraid of what I might find out? hahah,...sigh.
    If only it would go away, I just put tank 3 of my normal "bp/ammaco 93" in...and still spuddering, diesel sounding, etc....Now the light comes on, and I figures she's not cool w/ the gas issue anymore?..Would "wrong octane" ruin my engine? I had an issue at a BP, where normally, the 93 is all the way on the left, this time, as I looked, I noticed the 93 on the far right? This is when the problems started. (also the day after getting oil changed?)...So, I also think maybe the pump was mismarked, and I did put the bad 87? gas in on accident (since I know better)?

Anyway, I guess I'll find out tomorrow?...thanks for all ideas and help...

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

No, pulling the codes won't clear them unless you do so when the DIC asks Clear PCM Codes?. Just turn the key off and they will still be stored.

I run 87 octane all the time. It will not cause the problem you are expiriencing or harm the engine. It runs just fine on 87.

Eww, 87 ??? Really??? Wow, that blows my mind....It's blown also, wondering what the trouble is....yikes.....welcome back to debt, I guess.

thanks alot for all idears.....

kdw ; )

Really, 87 is just fine. The Northstar has a knock sensor and the PCM will retard the spark as required so it will run just fine. When I switched over on the recommendation of Bbob I never even noticed any degraded performance or fuel milage. If you are going to race it, use 93. Otherwise put the money in your pocket instead of the oil company's.

dude.....I guess......sorry, my mind is dripping out of ear.......that always happens..

heheheh

I'll let you know what the story is tomorrow....kdw

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

You most likely picked up some water contamination in the gas. A little alcohol gasline anti-freeze will help here or most likely the dealer will drain the tank.

the dealer tells me he's heard alot of this lately, is it a very expensive fix? (wondering what I'm up against)..Thanks a million guys...

kdw

I agree with dkozloski. Before you run to the dealer and drop big $$$ put a bottle of gas drier in the tank and maybe try a different brand or station but definately pull the codes. That will give you/us a very good clue as to what's going on.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

I recently had water in my gas which cleared up with a couple tanks of Shell V-Power and some water remover. Water in gas will make your car run like crap.

Eric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS

Years ago I got a tank of bad gas. Don't know what was wrong with it but car ran very bad. After two refills at low level still had some problems. Finally got car running good again by running tank empty. One gallon of gas I was carrying got me to a gas station.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Was it a fuel injected car? I was once told never to let a fuel injected car get below a quater tank. If you did, it wouldn't instantly mean trouble. But it was not good to do. My wife had an Altima and very often when she let it get below a quarter tank, it would be hell to restart. I would have to add more gas to tank to get it started. I guess it is good practice. During the colder months you wouldn't want to run low. Condensation forms in the tank and the more open air in the tank the more condensation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.