99 STS Project
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; [/IMG] Hopfully tomorrow nite i will have more pics...
    JoeTahoe is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

99 STS Project

[/IMG] Hopfully tomorrow nite i will have more pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: 99 STS Project

Hey, I envy your garage! The lift and everything? Man, that's perfect. Sure wish I had something similar. I am about to drop the cradle off of my Seville, I am ready, tools are ready, but the space is not.

Anyway, is it easier to keep the calipers intact or take it off and hang on the wheel well?

on the seville it is easier to leave them and unhook the master cylinder thanks for the comments on the garage.
    Joe

day two[/IMG]

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

I see we're going all the way in........

How many miles are on that motor? You still have the cross hatch marks in the cylinder bores?!

130000miles and yes you can see the cross hatch, over all good shape still need to pull the cams and valves. The wierd thing is no threads came out with the head bolts, the 01 ESC I did had one bolt that pulled the threads this 99 looks like the antifreeze and the head gasket did not do well still had dex in it looked clean. This is getting gm rings and new rod, main bearings

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Nicely done.

Sure blows up the high mileage "sludge" advertising, doesn't it !!!!!

98eldo, There is no GM provision for honing or boring a used Northstar. You just stick new pistons and rings in the block as-is. Take a hard look at those two cylinder bores - that final crosshatch hone is NOT done by hand. The hones are computer-controlled. New pistons now have an anti-scuff skirt coating.

sub or any one with some input, I am gonna replace the TCC solinoid in the trans while it is apart and service the trans. The ?? is I use Allison TRANSYND full syn. ATF (castrol makes it) at work in all our Allisons. Do you think useing this at 130000 miles is a good thing or not worth the risk if there is any risk??

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTahoe View Post
    sub or any one with some input, I am gonna replace the TCC solinoid in the trans while it is apart and service the trans. The ?? is I use Allison TRANSYND full syn. ATF (castrol makes it) at work in all our Allisons. Do you think useing this at 130000 miles is a good thing or not worth the risk if there is any risk??
    If the fluid meets GM specs for either DEXRON-III or -VI, why not ??? I mean, I sure wouldn't use Kendall HYKEN 10W logsplitter hydraulic fluid, but LOTS of bottlers sell GM spec'd ATF products.

thanks sub this is the same atf that gm uses in there Duramax/Allison HD trucks. I have used it for 10yrs on my own rebuilds and at work on over the road coaches

well i got the heads apart and it is bad news needs both exhaust cams, 14 lifters and all exhaust valves. I will have pics up tomorrow. I really need to talk too Jake@Northstarperformance

Sub and Joetahoe,

Are you guys stating that there's no need to re-hone. I mean yes I can still see the cross-hatch marks but no re hone?!

Joe, are you putting in standard size bearings? Are you getting the crank journals resized?

98, I have been through the 2002 Seville Helm/GM Seville Service Manual several times this morning - general maintenance and engine repair. It is silent on the need or method to hone the cylinders when replacing rings. It DOES state that any cylinder wear or deformity out of specs is cause for block replacement. It also states that you DO NOT turn the crank journals - if standard bearings will not fit to spec (Plastigage), replace the crank.

There was another thread on Northstar cylinder honing a couple of years ago and I believe the consensus was, because the Northstar has an aggressive cylinder hone pattern and uses low-tension rings, there should be no need to do a "glaze break" dingle ball job. You could call CHRFAB and ask them if it's necessary in a stock engine. AJXTCMAN seems to have built dozens of Northstars - he'll know too.

I'll cop out on this one and defer to Jake or one of the other high-volume Northstar repair members. The two Northstars that I was involved in repairing were not disassembled past the short block.

does any one have Left and Right exhaust cams that they are willing to sell, Left #1647437 and Right #1647436 Thanks for any input, Joe

WOW!!!

I have the 98 FSM. I'm glad I do, but basically you're telling me pertaining to the crank that if standard size bearing DON'T fit, I'm done?! So, all these rebuilds that are going on, are they replacing the bearings with standard size bearings? No clean up of the journals at all?! WOW!!!

Pertaining to the low tension rings, is that a possible source of the oil consumption at times on some engines?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.