99 STS Project - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe I've seen a lot of crappily welded y-pipes. '98 STS's seem to be the worst (with ...
    98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: 99 STS Project

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    I've seen a lot of crappily welded y-pipes. '98 STS's seem to be the worst (with the dual flex joint) but those '98's have y pipes constructed of larger diameter tubing. In '99 they went back to the single flex joint for the STS's and removed the flex-joint support from the cradle.

EDIT: I mean crappily constructed. one pipe just shoved into the other, no regard to turbulance and restriction.
    The 98"s had "larger" diameter tubing? Geez.

The mounting flange hole is pretty decent, but look "inside" the hole. There is a pipe inside that pipe, that is smaller than the opening.

Yet, to me this is nothing new. Must domestic vehicles are choked off through the exhaust system.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

got some more pics for all

stock exhaust Corsa eye and ear candy as sub says

I am hopefull that I will have her running this weekend. All new durastop rotors and pads. Also all new steel brake lines. I would like to thank Northstar Performance and Jake for taking care of me. I called him today because the sealed Felpro gasket kit that he sent me was missing the spark plug tower seals and he is sending them to me. He is really the MAN with Northstar engines.
    Thank every one on this forum for all your help, Joe

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

nice... very nice
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yep, that's work you can be proud of. Know that the new CORSA will blow wisps of blue smoke for 10 minutes until all the die forming oil burns off. You're gonna be a happy camper.

Somebody, ask him what the red stuff all over the cams is............

JoeT, You may find that the CORSA "walks" a bit to one side. If it does, a few minutes with a couple of 5/8" s/s hose clamps on those muffler hanger rods will keep the system centered.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    i'll bite.

Joe, is that ATF you've poured all over your cams?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

thanks for the heads up sub

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i'll bite.

Joe, is that ATF you've poured all over your cams?
    I am gonna let this one go and let sub answer, sub did ya see the white marks on the bolts and nuts

mabee someone can tell me all about this z-rating. My seville has z on door jam tire sticker so whats this mean, just no limiter or is there more??

limiter is set higher ... good thing... but in reality are you really ever going to go that fast?

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    be a happy camper.

JoeT, You may find that the CORSA "walks" a bit to one side. If it does, a few minutes with a couple of 5/8" s/s hose clamps on those muffler hanger rods will keep the system centered.
    hey sub what do you mean when you say walks to the side
    just curious for a heads up for when i get my system this summer

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I know Joe is smarter than to use ATF on the valvetrain components. That's going to be some type of very good assembly oil/lube - the white marks on the bolts is an assembly step - once torque is verified, you mark the bolts with paint marker - correct?

Joe this is work that I can honestly say meets the standards I've set in my shop, I take my hat off and bow in respect to what I see. Excellent work!

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Excellent pictures Joe, and you did a fanatastic job on the reassembly and paint work of the engine.

I do have a couple or questions I hope you can answer. Did you order new main and rod bearing bolts or reused the old ones.

I see that you plastigauged the bearings. Did you order stock sized bearings(depending on the clearances of course) or did you use oversize bearings?

How hard was it to do the mid- seal?

I'm getting ready for this same sort of thing for my car, but was curiuos what was your experince in dealing with the bottom end. .

I truly don't wish to mess with it if I don't have too, but at the same time how often do you yank out your northstar?

I feel you did an excellent job with yours and wish you the best with it.

Thanks Chris I did not know if it did any thing else and it will probably scare me because I have been driving 4x4s for the last 20yrs!!!!
    Jake you are correct on both and thank you I am a firm believer do it once and right the first time.
    98eldo all new Clevite std rod, main bearings and GM rod bolts as per FSM says not to reuse. Also new GM rings and all exhaust valves and of corse Northstar Performance Studs!!!! The half case is not to bad every thing has to be really clean, new oil manifold and the gm sealer, There is alot of time on clean up. also you half to be carfull good about assembly. I hope this helps if you have any ? just ask on this forum and you will get a very good answer from a member lots of good people on here!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.