99 STS Project - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; thanks guys and just carefully cleaned no mill work. Yes sub that is the 130,000 mile oil pump. Like I ...
    JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

Re: 99 STS Project

thanks guys and just carefully cleaned no mill work. Yes sub that is the 130,000 mile oil pump. Like I have said it looks like a big diesel with 500,000 miles on it. Awsome wear for gas engine. Exept for the cams and lifters, But I blame that on newer oils. If any one needs or wants a pic of something, now is the time to ask. Hopfuly I will be ordering more parts soon.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    did you mill the heads? sure are clean. you would think the squish area is where the carbon might build up and cause knock. i cleaned my heads very well. whose to say what they look like now. 3yrs later. i helped dad rebuild a 68 327 from vette. had major crud on valve stems. i spent a long time cleaning valves/heads and took it down to machine shop and they said all valves were too worn. had to buy new ones. new valve guides too.
    That is exactly where it does build and is the cause of piston slap aka cold carbon rap.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTahoe View Post
    thanks guys and just carefully cleaned no mill work. Yes sub that is the 130,000 mile oil pump. Like I have said it looks like a big diesel with 500,000 miles on it. Awsome wear for gas engine. Exept for the cams and lifters, But I blame that on newer oils. If any one needs or wants a pic of something, now is the time to ask. Hopfuly I will be ordering more parts soon.
    You wanna move down to fishin' and boatin' country and build Olds 455's - 75% of the commercial oyster, fish, and crab boats in the upper bay run them.......I do 6 - 8 a year now. $6,500 a pop. (I net $3,500 or so)

I never knew that they used that in commercial fishing, It reminds me of the 2-stroke Detroit Diesels they used them in every thing. It didnt matter witch way it turned, if it fit it would run. I really miss them old 2-strokes in the coaches but they had there time. I think if I came down you would have to adopt me sub!!!

I never knew that they used that in commercial fishing, It reminds me of the 2-stroke Detroit Diesels they used them in every thing. It didnt matter witch way it turned, if it fit it would run. I really miss them old 2-strokes in the coaches but they had there time. I think if I came down you would have to adopt me sub!!!
    GM 2-71, 3-71, 4-71, 6-71.............worth their weight in gold.

Shoulda' seen a blower-assisted GM V-16 submarine diesel - 1,700 hp coupled to a huge generator. 4 engine sets in 2 engine rooms. Diesel-electric drive to 4 main motors would push a 1600 ton fleet submarine to 21 knots surfaced. But, gawdamighty, did a GM diesel ever leak oil - the Enginemen used to pump it out of the bilge, centrifuge it, and pour it back in the engines. The Fairbanks FM-10 (10 cylinders, 20 pistons - figure that out) was a clean engine.

i have around the 71 and 92 series and the saying was if it isnt leaking its not running!! That fairbanks sounds cool. I have been around inline 6, 6v,8v,12v and 16v all I have to say is they are screamers but I still love all. Its what I learned on. Boy i bet you have some very good tales

i have around the 71 and 92 series and the saying was if it isnt leaking its not running!! That fairbanks sounds cool. I have been around inline 6, 6v,8v,12v and 16v all I have to say is they are screamers but I still love all. Its what I learned on. Boy i bet you have some very good tales
    Joe, Google "uss pampanito virtual tour". Get into the page and start the tour - you mouse and drag and you can look at every square inch of a compartment. She has 4 FM-10 (Fairbanks-Morse) diesels - upper and lower crankshafts connected by the "vertical drive" so there are 2 pistons per cylinder: they meet in the middle and the fuel is injected into that "chamber". 1700 hp at 450 rpm (yes, 450. They idle at 90). The exact same engines that are in a diesel train A or B unit.

that is a cool site sub

next week UPS will be stoping here more than the mail man. Its x-mas in Feb.

All parts should be here by thursday. If any one has the y-mixer in the exhaust apart they should take a look at were the meet. Took me about a hr to remove over 1/2" of pipe that restricks the exhaust. Gonna be a very long weekend, I feel like a kid again.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Yes. I've noticed that on the sts that I took apart.

The "Y" pipe was put together by cavemen. The smaller of the two pipe was just "shoved" into the other then welded with no concern of possible exhaust flow restriction.

I guess the factory figured you've got 275/300 hp, who cares if you're exhaust isn't perfect......

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah other members have reported this same exhaust restriction
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    yeah other members have reported this same exhaust restriction
    Is this evident on the Devilles too? I've been thinking about a catback exhaust for years.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i think so... my northstar guru tech says it's not common, but a handful of forum members have noticed it when they tear apart their engine to do their head gaskets... so it's worth looking into if you've got the time or are going to have the y-pipe off (or accessible) for some other reason
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I've seen a lot of crappily welded y-pipes. '98 STS's seem to be the worst (with the dual flex joint) but those '98's have y pipes constructed of larger diameter tubing. In '99 they went back to the single flex joint for the STS's and removed the flex-joint support from the cradle.

EDIT: I mean crappily constructed. one pipe just shoved into the other, no regard to turbulance and restriction.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.