99 STS Project - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by PupFromCleveland when our 2000 and up N's where built new did GM use a Synthetic or did ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 99 STS Project

Quote Originally Posted by PupFromCleveland View Post
    when our 2000 and up N's where built new did GM use a Synthetic or did they use a blend or just conventional ?
    Who knows ??? Who cares ???

When our cars were built there were all 3 types of oil in use, and the service designations were SH, SJ and SL. I think that Corvette and other so-designated high performance engines used Mobil 1, but that's all history.

...............Pup, if you want to start another oil war thread, then do so - let's give this thread back to Joe Tahoe.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Who knows ??? Who cares ???

When our cars were built there were all 3 types of oil in use, and the service designations were SH, SJ and SL. I think that Corvette and other so-designated high performance engines used Mobil 1, but that's all history.

...............Pup, if you want to start another oil war thread, then do so - let's give this thread back to Joe Tahoe.
    ok sorry
    about that didnt mean to get a oil war started sorry about that Joe

just shop was trying to tell me therre was no reason for my mechanic to say use conventional oil at first to set in the pistons and all i know they where full of it and jsut wanted to sell me the more exspensive oil but still
    what a pain they where lol

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

no biggie guys, sub just conf. what i was already gonna do and he answerd my ? on additives, Thank you Sub

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Rotella does still make a 10w30 oil? Who sells that? I was looking for that to use in my old sbc, but could only find 15w40. Even asked around and was told, "oh diesel engine oil only comes in 15w40" (right... ) so ended up using conventional 10w30 and EOS.

Not to prolong.... but to answer Pup's question, the later (2005+) rear drive N* engines specified Mobile 1 oil, but the 2000 N* came from the factory with conventional oil.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mhamilton View Post
    Rotella does still make a 10w30 oil?
    Dig around in the Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State (all the same company, SOPUS) and Chevron, even BP, Valvoline, Texaco oil spec websites. You can find fleet and marine SM/CI/CJ oils in a lot of stores, as well as truck dealers and some West Marine stores. Our local Western Auto franchise carries 3 different brands of 10W-30 fleet oil. The big truck stop 15 miles up U.S. 301 from here carries Rotella in 5 gallon pails.

For the latest and greatest in premium motor oils, surf C66 Racing's site up in Vendors ^^^. Brad's in the same business that I spent a 25 year career in.....

I could not find Rotella 10w30 localy, but i have a work account with Sopus directly and my shell supplier stocks it so I even got a great price

wait so if i understand correctly is shell rottella a diesel oil ? or am i miss understanding this ?

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Thanks Sub, I will look for those brands. I did used to get Valvoline 15w40 in 5 gallon buckets when my father was in the construction business, I'll have to find out if any of those others are sold or can be ordered locally. I would think so, with all the agriculture around here. But last time I looked for it, nobody seemed to know what I was talking about...

wait so if i understand correctly is shell rottella a diesel oil ? or am i miss understanding this ?
    It is an oil specified for use in diesel (heavy duty) engines, it just means it has more/different additives than conventional car motor oil.

Quote Originally Posted by mhamilton View Post
    Thanks Sub, I will look for those brands. I did used to get Valvoline 15w40 in 5 gallon buckets when my father was in the construction business, I'll have to find out if any of those others are sold or can be ordered locally. I would think so, with all the agriculture around here. But last time I looked for it, nobody seemed to know what I was talking about...

It is an oil specified for use in diesel (heavy duty) engines, it just means it has more/different additives than conventional car motor oil.
    ok but its being used in cars that are not diesle engines i didnt know that would be ok or safe hmmm

pup,more zddp so better for flat tappet cams and lifters

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTahoe View Post
    here is the bad news pictures
    I have a set of 4 CompCams I would let go

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

PupFromCleveland:

Motor oil goes by a few standards some of which (like viscosity 10W30, 5W30 etc) are usually set by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) but the type of engine for which the oil is designed falls on the API or "American Petroleum Institute" classification (see figure below). C_ stands for commercial (means diesel), whereas S_ stands for Service (gasoline).

Look at the chart above, and pay attention to the second letter after the S (service aka gasoline) letter SH, SJ, SL, SM etc. These are API gasoline engine service categories. This means they are good for gasoline (non diesel) cars. These are supposed to be backwards compatible, but in reality we know the zinc content has been dropping.... so they aren't necessarily backwards compatible (as some have found out with worn cam lobes). The 92-99 Northstars were designed back when the oil had more of the zinc, as you can see on the chart.

If you look at Rotella T, for example, you will see there are various specifications and approvals somewhere on the back of the bottle. Specifically you will find the SM, SL, SJ, and SH even on their 10W30 (yes they make it... I've seen it at O'Reilly Auto parts). This means they are certified for gasoline engines that had that designation when they were built. Even normal non-diesel oils have these approvals on the back (the same exact ones). In summary this means that "diesel oil" typically MEETS or EXCEEDS the specifications of gasoline engines, as long as the S_ is on there. This means running it won't cause any harm, and is actually recommended if you want an oil that meets the specs of those that were available when the car was engineered.

This is the Rotella T page link with more info...it even has some pics of cam lobes showing wear etc.
    http://www.shell.com/home/PrintFrame...on_detail.html

See the API Motor Oil Guide...
    http://www.api.org/certifications/en...010_120210.pdf

Of course it says SN is current and they make SM SL and SJ. SH and below is "OBSOLETE." It's likely that SN has even less zinc than SM etc.

Your car has 2000 Northstar, which means you don't have the flat tappets anyway, yours have roller finger followers so the reduced ZDDP isn't as huge of a deal.

I hope this helps clarify any doubts about using a "diesel oil" because as long as the S_ rating is in there it means it is also designed for use in gasoline engines.

JoeTahoe, wow very impressive project, kudos and thumbs up!

thank you mt i just need a money tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thansk for posting that helped out alot now i understand more better

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

all 4 NIB CompCams $340
    Set of NEW lifters $400
    Lifters -- Part# L2273-4 -- 93-99 Hydraulic. Bucket. (4 pack).49.16

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.