99 STS Project - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm a little late to this party, but nice pics Joe. I love the crosshatch hone pattern in the 130,000 ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 99 STS Project

I'm a little late to this party, but nice pics Joe. I love the crosshatch hone pattern in the 130,000 mile cylinders. That's what a little oil consumption will do for you.

Well, I run the cheapest oil I can in my cars (typically Farm and Fleet brand).
    Fleet had a sale last year on their oil. I noticed it was SL so I bought 10 cases.

Sure blows up the high mileage "sludge" advertising, doesn't it !!!!!
    Sure wish all the guys adding snake oil to "clean up the sludge" could see this (they will in the future).

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Beautiful pictures, I can't wait until I do this job by myself.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

... i'm going to show my N* rebuilder on monday
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

it is just a amazing little motor. The thought that went into it. the wear in it reminds me of a Detroit Diesel with 500,000 on it. If GM would have figured out the headbolt and gaskets a little better i think one that was cared for would go atleast 300,000 miles with no major problems, probably the car would just rust away in the salt belt areas. Spent 3hrs today cleaning pistons and after that i do not see how any top end cleaner would have cleaned the rings on this engine. I just cant wait to drive it this spring. If any one needs any pics just ask i have a lot or i can take and post. I hate the way some people are haveing issues with jake if i was closer i would deff. help him with his work load. He is a young, very devoted person and also very smart with a Northstar powered Caddy

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

please post as many pictures as you're willing to post...

i see you're using photobucket... do they have limits to how much you can post?
    i use imageshack.us
    you don't have to link the pictures to your account when you don't want to so effectively there is no limit to what they will host for you
    (you don't even need an account - just download their upload application. it's really simple to use too
    just right click any pictures you want to upload (or select them all then right click them and do it all in one fell swoop)
    there's one middle step where you can resize, but the forum software here will resize for you, no need for that... let imageshack host the full image
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Hey Joe, just out of curiosity and for future reference, what kind of oil are you using (conventional or synthetic) and what is your change interval?

Ranger, dont know as I bought with blown headgasket. The oil was clean and it did have a wix filter on it. Still had dexcool too. But i am gonna be useing Rotella 10w30 also a napa/wix filter and green antifreeze as per jake.

and it is also getting that eye candy Corsa exhaust that sub. keeps talking about. Checked it out on youtube and still have goose bumps!!!

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

joe i would go with a regular old convention oil no aditives in it for the first 5k but like i learned her also change the oil and filter after the first 500 miles
    then after about 2 or 3 oil changes go with a synthetic or blend if you choose but dont start off with anyting up front cause it will be to slick and wotn stick ont he pistons or anyting to break in atleast this is what my mechanic told me and so far its be working great going for the 3rd oil change been 5k today

pup i am gonna stick with rotella 10w30 with flat tapped lifters and yes i will be changing at 500miles,1500miles and then at 3000miles with no additive. But jake talked about a GM oil suppliment that i might look into if any one has any comments about it I would love to here from you.

not sure about the oil suplement
    i just plan on going up one step at a time i think this is gona be the last conventional oil change after this im gona go to a synthetic blend semi for about another 10k then after that ill problaby go off to full synthetic
    i know the one thing i liked about using synthetic is never having to add a clener or anyting to it

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by PupFromCleveland View Post
    not sure about the oil suplement
    i just plan on going up one step at a time i think this is gona be the last conventional oil change after this im gona go to a synthetic blend semi for about another 10k then after that ill problaby go off to full synthetic
    i know the one thing i liked about using synthetic is never having to add a clener or anyting to it
    Pup, His engine is different from yours (ours). His flat tappet cams and followers dictate an engine oil with more anti-scuff additive than our roller cam design. The Fleet and Marine SM/CI/CJ rated non-"starburst" oils fulfill that requirement.

Joe, Stick with the Rotella and you won't need to add either GM or a cam manufacturer's EOS (Engine Oil Supplement).

today i went to NTB for a Oil Change 5k on car since engine was rebuilt
    they kept trying to push me up to Full Synthetic saying that is what my car was built for it needs it im like no u just need to be able to charge me more they wanted 64 for oild chang eon full syn plus 7 dollars a qt per qt after that

i said no thanks i know what i need for right now
    just a conventional oil they said well right now they only have the bulk oil the high mile oil the sythetic blend and full syn

i was like ok give me the bulk oil they kept syaing other stuff im like listen im not paying more than 40 dollars after taxes and disposal fees so if you wana give me a semi syn blend for 40 total inlduing the extra 1.75 qt in that price
    then fine but im not paying 34 plus 6 pe qt plus disposal fee and taxes not spending 62 dollars all and all
    they said well we can give you 10 dollars off and then a 10 dollar mail in
    i said no iehtere the 19.99 bulk oil change or 40 dollars for the semi syn after tax and all
    there shop manager finaly came up and said ok fine we will do it for that the shop back of house manager
    then when they ring me up they say 52 dollrs and change this was the front of house manager i said well he said 42 even well u have an extra 1.75 qt but we dont sell just 1.75 so we charged you for 2 qt i said well thats not what i agreed on so im not doing that took 40 minutes for them to figure out what the heck to do and say fine ok 42 even
    when i asked them so where is my other .25 of qt they said oh we have that on a shelf in the back i asked so you put that on the shelf where gona charge me for it not even give it back to me lol

ok now down to the point of this

what is the difrance between bulk oil and conventional oil ?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by PupFromCleveland View Post
    what is the difrance between bulk oil and conventional oil ?
    In the U.S., bulk oil is normally packed in 55 gallon drums. "Conventional" (consumer) oil is packed in quarts and gallons. Both are exactly the same oil, whether the type is conventional, blend, or synthetic. You can run whatever type you want in your 2000 engine and it will not make one iota of difference in performance or engine life under your stated driving conditions.

when our 2000 and up N's where built new did GM use a Synthetic or did they use a blend or just conventional ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.