99 STS Project - Page 23
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well, u can set crank to #1 tdc and turn cam sprockets to align them before putting heads on block. ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Well, u can set crank to #1 tdc and turn cam sprockets to align them before putting heads on block. Just saying it is easy to turn cam sprockets while cleaning heads and forget and than bolt heads on block and wonder why they won't bolt down easy?

matt<3's_cadillacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 sts seville

Re: 99 STS Project

it did sit for about a year :/ . i wasent aware there was water still inside the cylinders still. there was plenty of corrosion and i got a tight budget and im trying to look for methods to fill in thoughs pits on the rear side head . would you think it was salvageable?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Don't crank over motor or fiddle with cam sprockets. U do see some valves are open? Would not want to move pistons and risk hitting some valves. I know ur lifters are going to rattle for awhile once u start motor since they are bled out of oil. Unless u can pressurize oil system prior to starting.
    i had to so i could get that residue off the cylinder walls i used alot of oil and engine brite to desolve it and wipe it off

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

all the work that is involved I would not trust that rear head. I don't know what a used head cost. the pitting looks pretty bad from the photos. The other
    thing that I would be worried about would be the rings on that side. I cant tell what the cylinders look like. Northstars normally use oil but if the rings are
    stuck you could have a very bad oil burner and possible a low compression problem
    97EldoCoupe likes this.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

just got the sts out of storage today. All I have to say is boy did I miss it. Then when I got back from my run the wife sees that I got it out and takes it all day. So much for my Cadillac being mine. lol
    maeng9981 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.