99 STS Project - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; If you have the GM FSM, what does it say in the section - Engine Mechanical - pertaining to crank, ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 99 STS Project

If you have the GM FSM, what does it say in the section - Engine Mechanical - pertaining to crank, bearings, inspection, Plastigage, and replacement ? (Not far after the section on damaged bolt hole thread repair work.)

I use low-tension top rings in Olds 455 rebuilds and have no problems with either bore wear or oil consumption.

You'll notice that the manual also makes no mention of cylinder wear ridge removal............

JoeTahoe is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

here is the bad news pictures

sub is exactly correct on the FSM and this is the second northstar I have had apart and no ridge and no cylinder wear all though oil rings are pretty dirty and do not move freely

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Thanks for all the pics... and keep 'em coming!

Yes - the general explanation on high oil consumption on these engines seems to be leaks, and sticking rings - not too often wear or due to low tension rings.

Was the wear on the cams and lifters not apparent until after you disassembled the heads? Just curious, because I didn't disassemble mine when I did my HG project, nor did I detect any signs of significant wear. The tops of the lifters were all like mirrors - I think maybe some of the cam lobes might have had a bit of a worn appearance - it was 3 years ago, so I forget exactly. Now, I'm wondering if I would have seen more if I took the heads apart...

yes it had a slight tick to it I wish I could find two good used cams. Jake@Northstarperformance says he dosnt even have any cams so it looks like my shop will be out of service till the wife says it is ok to get two new cams from GM. The vavles and lifters are aval. in the after market but I cant find any cams. It will just hert my over all expensives on a clean sleeper Cady. But I still will only have around $3000 in it + all my time. I am wishing it was a 2000 or newer because of the valvetrain updates that is the only wear problem I see in the engine. In the end it will be worth it to pull up to some kid with his soupcan exhaust, bass pounding tail lights and neon lit up neon or civic and blow him away.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

You had a ticking noise and it did THAT to those lobes........DAMN.

You should have some salvage yards near you that may have some engines that your can salvage the exhaust cams from.

I know the pull a part around here has had some northstars and guys were pulling cams off of the engines. As of late, they are just taking the whole drivetrain.

If I go to the pull a part, I'll look around for you.....

thanks i e-mailed him

Those cam/follower pictures are mute testimony to the need to run a HD 10W-30 fleet or marine oil such as Chevron DELO, Shell Rotella, or Pennzoil Long Life. These oils are certified for gasoline and diesel fleet, marine, and stationary service and thus carry a much higher ZDDP (zinc/phosphorus) anti-scuff load than the current SM oils and far more than the new SN oils. Roller cam engines can get away with SM oils, but it's apparently death on flat-tappet cams. Thanks to the U.S. and California EPA.

JoeTahoe, For info, what oil(s) were run in the engine those cams came out of ?

FWIW, The wear sequence on flat tappet installations is: The case hardening on the tappet face breaks down due to lack of proper lubrication (it is a rubbing, not rolling, contact), causing the dish wear which then destroys the cam lobes. Notice the cutaway on the back sides of the cam lobes - that's there to cause the lifter/tappet/follower to rotate in its bore, evening out the rubbing wear.

sub i do not know what oil was used in this as i bought with bad headgaskets so i have no history of oil changes. But it did have clean oil in it and a wix filter. I am the 3rd owner and i purchessed it from a fellow in his late 60s he has owned it since 05 i beileve. he purchessed a brand new sts after he found out no one would do the repairs and warranty this. I will be useing Rottella 10w30 and a wix/napa filter. I think the wear is from low oil or lack of of propper spec. oil

Well,

My studs just arrived and I'll be joining in the engine dismantle club......

After inspecting the items that came in the stud kit box, all I can say is WOW!

The combo plate fixture has bolts that go into the exisiting holes to hold the plate while you drill out the other holes. Just comparing the different sizes of the bolts and the thread pitch is night and day?!

All I can say Jake invested some serious time into this is. There is no possible way I can see this failing if installed correctly.

I take my hat off to you Jake , well done.

98 - While the stud kit is new, lay it all out and post a couple of pics in the Northstar Head Bolt/Gasket failure sticky ^^^.

Yea what he said

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Those cam/follower pictures are mute testimony to the need to run a HD 10W-30 fleet or marine oil such as Chevron DELO, Shell Rotella, or Pennzoil Long Life. These oils are certified for gasoline and diesel fleet, marine, and stationary service and thus carry a much higher ZDDP (zinc/phosphorus) anti-scuff load than the current SM oils and far more than the new SN oils. Roller cam engines can get away with SM oils, but it's apparently death on flat-tappet cams. Thanks to the U.S. and California EPA.

JoeTahoe, For info, what oil(s) were run in the engine those cams came out of ?

FWIW, The wear sequence on flat tappet installations is: The case hardening on the tappet face breaks down due to lack of proper lubrication (it is a rubbing, not rolling, contact), causing the dish wear which then destroys the cam lobes. Notice the cutaway on the back sides of the cam lobes - that's there to cause the lifter/tappet/follower to rotate in its bore, evening out the rubbing wear.
    Those pics are a good reason to stick with 2000 and newer Northstars (the headgasket bolt thread wasn't fixed, but not having the flat tappet wear problem is worth it). Even if you use the high ZDDP oil, there's no guarantee that the previous owners did.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.