99 STS Project - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; double post.............
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 99 STS Project

double post..........

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    That's going to be some type of very good assembly oil/lube - the white marks on the bolts is an assembly step - once torque is verified, you mark the bolts with paint marker
    yeah, that ^^^

A Z tire rating is "above 149 mph", absent a service designation (W = 168 mph, Y = 186 mph). The car is limited only by drivetrain power vs. air and mechanical drag.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    yeah, that ^^^

A Z tire rating is "above 149 mph", absent a service designation (W = 168 mph, Y = 186 mph). The car is limited only by drivetrain power vs. air and mechanical drag.
    Did Cadillac Put out Sevilles in W or y ratings ?
    i thout the highest they put was a Z

97EldoCoupe is offline Owner of Northstar Performance
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

There were W-coded cars that I know of in 2002+ I saw one STS that was W-rated.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Oh yeah, thanks for the clarification Sub
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    There were W-coded cars that I know of in 2002+ I saw one STS that was W-rated.
    wow ok that is going to be my mission every time i pass a dealer that has a 2002 or 2003 sts im going to stop and look on the door sticker
    seriously

and when i find it ill post it on here cause i bet some forum member would want to buy it

now did the dealeers charge more for a Z or w rated Seville sts
    or did they not even know if it was or not
    was there anyway for someone to order it as an option or did you just have to luck out and be at a dealer that had one in stock or that was willing to look threw all the codes and all ?

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldorado esc/2000 deville Y(THE GREY GOOSE)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTahoe View Post
    Thanks Chris I did not know if it did any thing else and it will probably scare me because I have been driving 4x4s for the last 20yrs!!!!
    Jake you are correct on both and thank you I am a firm believer do it once and right the first time.
    98eldo all new Clevite std rod, main bearings and GM rod bolts as per FSM says not to reuse. Also new GM rings and all exhaust valves and of corse Northstar Performance Studs!!!! The half case is not to bad every thing has to be really clean, new oil manifold and the gm sealer, There is alot of time on clean up. also you half to be carfull good about assembly. I hope this helps if you have any ? just ask on this forum and you will get a very good answer from a member lots of good people on here!!!

Thanks for the info Joe.

So, std main and rods bearings, new connecting rod bolts, new rings but I'm curious why you needed new exhaust valves? Were your exhaust valves beyond the point of being reusuable?

The main bearing bolts were reused?

I wouldn't do a headgasket job without Jake's studs, that's the only why to go for me on these engines.

Clean up, is defintely understandable. One spec of dirt or unremoved gasket material can cause havoc at start up time and leave one aggravated.

Thanks for the reply.

Again, wishing you the best with it.

Excellent job.........

JoeTahoe is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

the exhaust valves were pitted really bad and there was no way they would lapp in, all of the intake valves looked great and all lapped in really nice so did the new exhaust valves. Mabee a machine shop could have cleaned them up, but I dont trust many with out me there. I have $225 dollars + valve seals and my time in the heads. But I also own a machinist flat edge so I know they are true.
    According to the FSM the main bolts can be reused.
    Agreed on the studs. I bought this caddy with overheating issues because of Jake. If it wasnt for him and the 01 ESC I fixed last summer I would have never looked for one. Thats right I intentionally bought a 99 STS with overheating issues and with the known fix and this wonderfull forum. So when Jake was saying he was done I was like, what the h*** am I gonna do with this thing. I probably would have done norms inserts but I would not of been happy Knowing about the studs

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTahoe View Post
    stock exhaust Corsa eye and ear candy as sub says
    Joe where did you order yours from what was the cost

i been looking so far cheapest i have found is Summit auto racing and parts

Amazon $1154 shipped to my door is the cheapest i could find

cool thanks

im thinking in June or July ill pull this off or put it on lol

just a few things with the body first
    im thinking that a full color change just more then i want to
    so going to have the caddy gone over with the same color it has now same paint code but add a little more metallic to the pain for a better glitter and silver shine in it little more sparkle is what im going for i think
    and have to decide weather im going to have the hood sandblasted or spend the money on a new hood

only thing against new hoods is unless i spend the 700 or 800 for a OEM hood
    i cant find anyone that has a aftermarket hood that does not have a ornament hole in it witch i don't understand
    our Seville did not come with orinman or crest on the hood it was on the grill so why would a company make a aftermarket hood with a Ornament hole beats me lol

so how long before we see picks of it all bad togehter how much more time you got to put in you think

well I got the engine back in the cradle tonight and all I have to say is the front and rear mounts are a pain even with the cradle on the floor. Two months is a little long (Had a bit of memory fade, glad I had the FSM) Tomorrow I am gonna get the starter and intake on it and hopefully I can start the trans. T.C.C solinoid replaced and trans. serviced. I am thinking this weekend I might have her running if all goes good.

cool cool take some audio of the corsa running

Racer704 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC

Cool Re: 99 STS Project

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Yep, that's work you can be proud of. Know that the new CORSA will blow wisps of blue smoke for 10 minutes until all the die forming oil burns off. You're gonna be a happy camper.

Somebody, ask him what the red stuff all over the cams is............

JoeT, You may find that the CORSA "walks" a bit to one side. If it does, a few minutes with a couple of 5/8" s/s hose clamps on those muffler hanger rods will keep the system centered.
    OK Sub I will bite and say its Comp Cams Red engine assembly lube ,i know it wasnt ATF as it would be very hard to detect after applying it...

I also use on head stud threads a product from Catipiller we call peanut butter.Best I have seen yet ...also does a great job on aluminum heads and steel washers....

Great post Joe and a GREAT job your doing...much RESPECT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.